Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Is it legal for a garda to take a mobile phone and read the text massages?

Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Plaza

Is it legal for a garda to take a mobile phone and read the text massages or for the contacts numbers of the phone to be read?

Comments

• Plaza wrote: »
    Is it legal for a garda to take a mobile phone and read the text massages or for the contacts numbers of the phone to be read?

On what grounds did the Garda take the mobile?

• are you a scumbag. if not then dont worry. if you are...nobody cares

• Plaza wrote: »

I would have thought not unless proper warrant in place? Serious invasion of your privacy but thats the way this sh1thole of a country is going.

• cursai wrote: »
    are you a scumbag. if not then dont worry. if you are...nobody cares

So you think its ok for any member of the Gardai to walk up to you and demand your phone and read whats on it? There are privacy laws.

• If you were caught with something illegal I would imagine they would have no problem once they had a warrant / you arrested.

Also if you were involved in something illegal and you refused to give them your phone / deleted messages they can request details from your service provider which would include text messages going back 2 years under data retention directives.

• Advertisement

• Depends on why they took it.

• depends : if it is evidence to an arrestable offence :

Sec7 CJA 07

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/act/pub/0026/sec0007.html

• I am very interested in this thread as last year my mobile was taken from me when somebody I know went missing. I had told the guards that I had not heard from the person and deleted some personal messages from friends etc before I gave it to them. This resulted in the garda very sternly telling me that if he needed to he could bring up all of my text messages so there was no point in deleting them. The person turned up that same day and I am still very angry about the way I was treated by the gardai. I felt like a criminal and it was a very unreasonable way to go about things imo. :mad: what makes it worse is that a very close member of my family is a garda too :confused:

Advertisement