Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it legal for a garda to take a mobile phone and read the text massages?

• 10-03-2010 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Is it legal for a garda to take a mobile phone and read the text massages or for the contacts numbers of the phone to be read?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Plaza wrote: »
    Is it legal for a garda to take a mobile phone and read the text massages or for the contacts numbers of the phone to be read?

On what grounds did the Garda take the mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

are you a scumbag. if not then dont worry. if you are...nobody cares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Plaza wrote: »

I would have thought not unless proper warrant in place? Serious invasion of your privacy but thats the way this sh1thole of a country is going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

cursai wrote: »
    are you a scumbag. if not then dont worry. if you are...nobody cares

So you think its ok for any member of the Gardai to walk up to you and demand your phone and read whats on it? There are privacy laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you were caught with something illegal I would imagine they would have no problem once they had a warrant / you arrested.

Also if you were involved in something illegal and you refused to give them your phone / deleted messages they can request details from your service provider which would include text messages going back 2 years under data retention directives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Depends on why they took it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭0O7

depends : if it is evidence to an arrestable offence :

Sec7 CJA 07

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/act/pub/0026/sec0007.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hollyday

I am very interested in this thread as last year my mobile was taken from me when somebody I know went missing. I had told the guards that I had not heard from the person and deleted some personal messages from friends etc before I gave it to them. This resulted in the garda very sternly telling me that if he needed to he could bring up all of my text messages so there was no point in deleting them. The person turned up that same day and I am still very angry about the way I was treated by the gardai. I felt like a criminal and it was a very unreasonable way to go about things imo. :mad: what makes it worse is that a very close member of my family is a garda too :confused:

Advertisement