Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Wheel of Time worth it?

Options
  • 09-03-2010 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi all. In the middle of reading Jordans Wheel of Time saga. I'm a quarter of the way through the 4th book and have hit a brick wall. Unfortunately I got over excited after the 1st book and rushed out and bought the whole lot. I was just wondering if it's worth perserving?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it falls apart in a big way after book 8 but apparently the latest book (11 i think) was quite decent, because that bastard jordan died and someone else has to finish the series.

i'm something of an ex-smoker when it comes to the wheel of time series, so maybe i'm not to be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

You did better than i did .
    I read the first book and then gave up. Just could'nt get into it.Always intended to give it another go,but with so many other books out there never got back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

After book 4 it went downhill for me just seemed to get really puffed out with a ridiculous number of parallel plot lines. Book 11 was an improvement as it was the first time that all the plot lines seemed to start to resolve towards a conclusion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 FullHouse

ec18 wrote: »
    After book 4 it went downhill for me just seemed to get really puffed out with a ridiculous number of parallel plot lines. Book 11 was an improvement as it was the first time that all the plot lines seemed to start to resolve towards a conclusion :)

Thanks lads, from what I hear it seems Jordan was either an absolute genius who knew how the whole series would conclude even before he began, or else he was an absolute bluffer who wrote to a strict fantasy formula which he padded to death. Like I said, I'm on book 4 so the plot is still developing but already I'm starting to see certain aspects losing their momentum and getting a bit frayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Yes, well worth it. I've never not enjoyed a book. But there is only one way to find out for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

If you've bought all of them, I'd definitely persevere. They slow a little towards the middle, but I certainly still enjoyed them. Book 11 was back on top form, thanks to Sanderson's input. I've read the series several times, and I really enjoy the books every time. Plus, the end is in sight, with the final two books expected this year and next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Haha! Jordan caught a lot of people in his net after the first three books! I stuck with him till near the end of book 10. I might look to finish it because I hear book 11 is decent, but the characters were too one dimensional for my liking (And the way he portrayed women is genuinely cringe inducing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Denerick wrote: »
    (And the way he portrayed women is genuinely cringe inducing)

Tugs Braid, looks at dress, smooths dress, looks at cleavage, looks jealously at other women's cleavage, tugs braid again, thinks about man, get angry, tugs braid so hard it hurts, get angry at self, gets angry at man for inadvertently making self angry, tugs braid again, smooths the creases out of dress caused by all of the braid tugging, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

pljudge321 wrote: »
    Tugs Braid, looks at dress, smooths dress, looks at cleavage, looks jealously at other women's cleavage, tugs braid again, thinks about man, get angry, tugs braid so hard it hurts, get angry at self, gets angry at man for inadvertently making self angry, tugs braid again, smooths the creases out of dress caused by all of the braid tugging, etc etc

You forgot the sniffing! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm rereading them now and TBH this is part of the reason the series went downhill. Around book 6 he started to do alot more POVs for the female characters and because he can't write them it dragged the whole thing out.

I also thing the details of the plot got away from him a bit but I think his last book (Knife of Dreams) started to pull it back and from what I've heard Sandersons (The Gathering Storm) helped more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No no no. get out while you can. Go pick up Magician by Feist and enjoy the 17 books or so he has out. infinitely better than jordan imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

I recall getting up to about the sixth or seventh book and having no real feeling of progression, just an intransigent allusion-fest. I'll read the reviews of the final books to see if it's worth further investment. Till then, I won't risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I recall getting up to about the sixth or seventh book and having no real feeling of progression, just an intransigent allusion-fest. I'll read the reviews of the final books to see if it's worth further investment. Till then, I won't risk it.

I would rank book 12 part 1 as my second favourite book in the series, Sanderson really did breath some much needed life back into the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Book 6 took me all of 2009 to read and I finished it out of sheer will power not because I wanted to.

Currently taking a break from Book 7. Started it in December and about 600 pages through. Found that Book 7 moves faster than Book 6 as I agree with Matrim that "he started to do alot more POVs for the female characters and because he can't write them it dragged the whole thing out." When he rights parts for Rand, Perrin and Mat the story flows and you can see where he's going but when he starts writing from the women's point of view it gets really annoying to read.

When I finish the book I'm reading now I'll come back to the Wheel of Time and finish book 7 but I'll have to give serious consideration as the whether I'm ready to begin book 8 this year as from other posters opinions on Books 8,9 and 10 I'm expecting another hard read!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

I would rank book 12 part 1 as my second favourite book in the series, Sanderson really did breath some much needed life back into the series.

Thanks for that. I'll bear that in mind after I've gotten through my next few books.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

You forgot about 'I'll box your ears'

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

It's funny because, as one myself, I always liked the way Jordan wrote women. Maybe he overused some cliches, but the characters had a depth that isn't always there in fantasy novels. The female characters have their own stories and motivations. Nynaeve is one of my favourite characters of all the fantasy books I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Stick with it - I think it's definately worth it. The Gathering Storm is........odd. It's noticeably different to Jordan's writing. Read the first chapter and had to put it aside for a couple of weeks to give my brain time to change it's expectations, but then I flew through it and am definately looking forward to the final two books.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭PADRAGON

I got midway through book five.For some reason i've since forgotten,i had to stop reading for a couple of weeks.Maybe holidays or something.
    When i tried to get back into it i just could'nt.
    I'd lost interest and that was that.
    I would'nt go back to them if you paid me.
    Hope that helps !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭moncai

The women are quite tedious to read but as a guy i just always put that down to not understanding what women were after in real life and RJ applying that to the manner in which he presented his female characters :)

I know it can be very simple at times the way they are represented, but the manner in which they get so competitive with each other without actually showing that competitiveness publicly was pretty hilarious, and is often commented upon by the male characters.

The male characters meanwhile fulfill the stereotype of 'getting on' with things despite possibly doing themselves injury on the process but not having any interest of self preservation, which in turn infuriates the women. Lan's personal war with the blight being an example of this... It's like he and nynaeve are the two archetypes of this representation, most of the other characters fall somwhere in between on the spectrum.

It's just one subplot of many interesting and engaging ones in the series and to be honest i am a massive fan.
    I often sneer at those who 'quit' after book 4 and i consider it my right to do so simply because those who quit do so out of frustration with themselves more so than frustration with the writer. If you cant handle the amount of characters dont moan about it for ruining the series just accept that you're not up to the task of understanding his work :p

Go read Steven Erikson and you may find it more to your taste :?

• Advertisement

moncai wrote: »
    I often sneer at those who 'quit' after book 4 and i consider it my right to do so simply because those who quit do so out of frustration with themselves more so than frustration with the writer. If you cant handle the amount of characters dont moan about it for ruining the series just accept that you're not up to the task of understanding his work :p

It's nothing to do with the amount of characters - there's not that many of them - or "understanding" his work - it's not like it's great literary stuff - it's nothing more than an entertaining light fantasy read. It's everything to do with the stalling plot, characters descending into cliches, lack of editing, and dull plodding prose. I have to laugh at the notion that anyone would not be up to the task of understanding RJ - it's like the crap that Terry Goodkind comes out with to deflect from the juvenile level of his regurgitated Rand flavoured EFP.

I did. In a lot of ways, it is.

Yes i snared one with my condescending tone!

Sorry if i riled you up a bit Mike, i was just having a laugh. I've listened to exactly the same arguments as i just presented, the 'sneering' arguments, in favour of RJ's books lots of times and since it wasn't present in this thread i just decided to throw it in.

I agree with you about the simplicity of the series, it is light and entertaining, but in no place can it be considered particularly insightful or challenging.

I love the Terry Goodkind slur too, the sword of truth series has to be the most repetitive stuff around.

One thing i would ask you about though... you said WoT needs and editor.... surely you must think the same of malazan series??
    My suggestion you read Steven Erikson if looking for something more simple was very tounge in cheek.

The women are quite tedious to read but as a guy i just always put that down to not understanding what women were after in real life and RJ applying that to the manner in which he presented his female characters :)

I know it can be very simple at times the way they are represented, but the manner in which they get so competitive with each other without actually showing that competitiveness publicly was pretty hilarious, and is often commented upon by the male characters.

The male characters meanwhile fulfill the stereotype of 'getting on' with things despite possibly doing themselves injury on the process but not having any interest of self preservation, which in turn infuriates the women. Lan's personal war with the blight being an example of this... It's like he and nynaeve are the two archetypes of this representation, most of the other characters fall somwhere in between on the spectrum.

It's just one subplot of many interesting and engaging ones in the series and to be honest i am a massive fan.

Erikson is more to my taste.
    For me it was boredom rather than frustration that stopped me.
    I felt i'd read it all before.
    Also the idea of 'persevering' does'nt appeal to me.
    Goes against what i'm looking for in a book.
    Fullhouse asked for opinions,
    i dont think you should sneer at people for giving them.
    Or for anything else for that matter.

Sorry if i riled you up a bit Mike, i was just having a laugh. I've listened to exactly the same arguments as i just presented, the 'sneering' arguments, in favour of RJ's books lots of times and since it wasn't present in this thread i just decided to throw it in.

I agree with you about the simplicity of the series, it is light and entertaining, but in no place can it be considered particularly insightful or challenging.

I love the Terry Goodkind slur too, the sword of truth series has to be the most repetitive stuff around.

One thing i would ask you about though... you said WoT needs and editor.... surely you must think the same of malazan series??
    My suggestion you read Steven Erikson if looking for something more simple was very tounge in cheek.

Ouch !

*Shakes fist angrily* DAMN YUOOOOO MONCAAAAAIIIII!

Nah, I see what you're getting at - I was a huge fan of WoT back in the day, on the usenet groups and so on. I tend to be far more critical of series I liked that went downhill, or ones that had potential.

It's a shame it couldn't have been finished in 6 books. (Or less).

Goodkind stirs a particular anger in me - he's generic as hell as far as I'm concerned, but when I read interviews with him where he's answering fan questions and says things like "If you think Sword of Truth is simply a fantasy book, you're not old enough / smart enough to understand my genius" and I want to throttle him. (I may have anger management issues.)

Weird though it may seem, I think Malazan works as it is. It's sort of this crazy headlong charge of books, that are so massive in scope, and strangely consistent in their own universe, and very unlike most things I've read in the fantasy genre (there are nods to Glen Cook definitely), that it works in the context of the books. And when I started Gardens of the Moon, I despised it. Hated it. Got halfway through it and abandoned it. Then I picked it up again, and it sort of clicked. I'd rank Deadhouse Gates as one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read.

*Shakes fist again*

cine-7-star-trek-ii-shatner.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Make that two!

I was hoping this thread would have convinced me to carry on but having to wade through six more books to get to a good one (11) doesn't really appeal to me. I'm going to give the series a break for now and maybe return to it sometime in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,701 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im near the end of book 5 and have to say its proving a struggle to finish. Its very telling that about half through each of the previous 4 i went out and bought the next one, havent done the same with book 5.
    Seriously thinking about taking a break but at the same time im afraid i will simply not get back to it and its a series i really want to have under my belt.

Yeah for what it's worth, book 4 is the longest in the series i believe, and it certainly feels like it. I think theres enough content in what happens in book 4 to justify it's size, but it just seems Jordan puts his foot to the pedal in book 4 and churns out alot of storyline in a short space of time, it's part of the reason i think so many people walk away from it around book 5/6. There's alot going on in these books, and i dont mean that in a good way. It seems like some of the more significant plot points happen in books 4/5/6 but unfortunately Jordans writing isn't up to scratch in that he seems to overcomplicate things to the point of cluttering up the devlopment of the story.

It's all written in an easy to read manner, but the burgeoning context of all of the characters by book 4 is such that he could have written an entire series based on many of them alone, nevermind having about 6 or 7 of them running concurrently.

I know that i was actively surfing the wotmania website forums at the time and as a result i got caught up in a lot of theory posts by other readers... they took time to read and they were often well thought out and constructed, it nearly meant that i got through books 5-8 just to see what happened.

One of robert jordans famous catchphrases from book conventions etc was; 'RAFO' - read and find out.
    I can honestly say thats exactly what i'm in the series for. It's not for any brilliantly constructed prose or literary genius per se. I just think its an epic story.

Like the neverending story movie in book form, makes great sunday afternoon tv.
    Whell of Time has certainly gotten me through many hungover mornings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I got sick of waiting a year for each book to come out. By the time the next book was out I had forgotten loads of the characters. Pain in the ass. I gave up after 8.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jennypaul2009

yeahhhh i knowwww u are so righttttt

Advertisement