Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember Superchannel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I remember Superchannel showing Eastenders but they had to stop because of royalty rights. They also used to show Tom Baker era Doctor Who, iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭AnalogueKid

I remember the opening night of Super Channel. They had this amateurish launch with a nonplussed Maggie Thatcher as the celebrity to cut the ribbon - truly embarrassing.

I always confuse early Super Channel and early Sky One. As far as I remember, Nino Ferretto was on Super Channel, whilst Pat Sharpe was on Sky (skytrax). Maybe Nino was also on Sky for a while.

Another music show they had on Super was "On The Air" hosted by a cute German woman who used to play Rush videos (a rare thing on Irish TV in those days).

Was Linda De Mol the shexy Dutch blonde on Sky who hosted the DJ Kat show? Kristiane Backer from MTV Europe a few years later was also one of my first crushes...... (drools)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Was Linda De Mol the shexy Dutch blonde on Sky who hosted the DJ Kat show?

Linda de Mol did indeed host the DJ Kat Show on Sky Channel (the proto-Sky One). She is a sister of John de Mol, founder of Endemol Entertainment (responsible for unleashing Big Brother on the world) and producer of the DJ Kat Show up until Sky Television launched and production was moved to England.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Of course Superchannel was already on air before the official launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

bob50 wrote: »
    The Super Channel came on in 1987 it also started showing the american wrestling in Ireland for the first time

Anyone remember Hulk Hogan The cowboy Randy Savage

It also used to show pop ideos presented by the mullet wearing Pat Sharp

Also it had an american fashion prog

Wrestling and Pat Sharp were both on Sky, Super had the FunBus for kids programming and other bits and pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 kiwi_40

Super channel was great, as someone said, cablelink came in and brought us from 6 channels to 15 ish, super and sky being two of them. I remember Super use to have 3 music shows an hour each between midnight and 3.00am ,i was in college so use to stay up. Nino feretti was one and Amanda Reddington another, cant remember the third, I think it was Simon something, use have darts thrown at him. Was great for music videos etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

This thread is a bit retro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

WindSock wrote: »
    Some shots on this link

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/otherchannels/superchannel.html

Does anyone remember a horror type film that was about a dolls house and there was green ooze in it? Whatever happened to the dolls house, happened to the main house too. I don't think it was ther Twilight Zone, but it may have been.
    Child's Play - an episode of Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I remember Superchannel. I remember I use to like Amazing Discoveries :pac: i think it was on Superchannel. It was tacky and pretty bad and so rehearsed with an awful phony and cheesy sales presenter. I don't know why but I liked it :/:)

I also remember watching Bonanza on this channel for a while.

We had Cablelink. I don't remember losing MTV but I do remember that Sky was not available in it for a year or two in the early 90s. We originally had Sky and that was where we found The Simpson's. I remember we knew that Sky was being removed from Cablelink before it went off and my brother started recording every episode of The Simpson's that he could before it went so we could watch them again.

Advertisement