Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discrimination against Men

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

hmmmph

(looks around to see if MM is watching)

It should be fine -when I was in school we were taught that if a word appeared in the Times it was ok to use it. :D

So nah - chauvinist may get bandied about and terribly abused and while it may not offend me - you should be able to use feminazi in response where it does not interfere with the run of play. its not your problem.really I believe that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

iptba wrote: »
    Haven’t used it for a while myself but I remember it had a use. Maybe it was that the term “male chauvinist” is thrown around but I’m not sure if it’s used that accurately. A bit like “sexist” – in terms of points made in arguments, etc, I don’t think it’s just men who are “sexist”.
    No, but just as with calling someone black racist (which a few years ago was considered almost an oxymoron), it can often result in an uncomprehending stare in response.

"How can I be sexist? Oh, could you carry this for me like a good man..."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

No, but just as with calling someone black racist (which a few years ago was considered almost an oxymoron), it can often result in an uncomprehending stare in response.

"How can I be sexist? Oh, could you carry this for me like a good man..."
    Fair point.

I'd be more inclined to do it in written discussions e.g. online. I don't think it's easy to have deep discussions on gender politics "orally" as it were - people, I think, tend to pick up on a word used or whatever rather than trying to discuss the issues.

I wouldn't say Dr. Elizabeth Dermody Leonard is a Feminazi or misandrist but I think she takes a chauvinistic approach to domestic violence and killings - page 13 of: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055834129

Feminazi is to MCP like two old friends meeting each other in the street saying " Howrya ya old bollox" and " and yerself ya fecker"

Of course, either used in the wrong context are offensive but if they are being mutually used then neither should offend.

If someone calls me MCP, chauvinist or sexist in an argument-I am entitled to respond in kind. Now I will probably want to pick a word equally perjorative so for a woman its feminazi or if its a guy a mangina.

Its like a girl calling a guy a vulgar name for a penis but being upset when called the vulgar name for a vagina and saying thats not fair.

Female chauvinist just doesnt cut it or have the same effect to MCP-its like how a low cholesterol spread is to butter in comparison. Its like retaliating with Dunnes Stores when someone says Miss Fantasia. They both sell underwear but one is so much naughtier than the other.

Sorry dudes -I like my swearwords to sound like swearwords when I use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

closet dyke...

• Advertisement

questioner wrote: »
    closet dyke...

:D LOL

on mature reflection the term bull dyke may be more apt, seeing as in my limited experience those females from whom the MCP term emanates freely tend to be of a rather, how do i put this delicately.... butch persuasion:rolleyes:

This is going of in a bit of a tangent and I dont know where you are driving at here questionner. So assuming you are on the level.

Well you can do that if its appropriate to the conversation.

I cant for the life of me see where lesbians fit into heterosexual discrimination situations.

I have a very close lesbian friend & her orientation has never phased me one bit and she was a super friend to me once when I was going thru a tough time. I met her at a professional institute meeting and we became friends thru that.

Funnily enough, lesbians are one of the hidden parts of society that we here very little about and especially in domestic violence situations.So its a common misconception that the womens movement is filled with ball breaking lesbians.

The thing about calling a woman a bull dyke is it has to be appropriate to the conversation and you wouldnt do it in a you are one of the lads kind of way. I cant think of a situation where I would call a male homosexual an arse bandit -so it would never arise for me. It would be a bit racy for boards.

My point on insult trading is you shouldnt start it if you cant take it and on a board there is a fine line. So if its banter and in the flow of things I would run with it as appropriate.

Thats my 10 cents on that.

yeah it was only light hearted banter, no offence intended :)

as to the substantive points of your post:

using a pejorative term (such as that previously mentioned) in a context where i was the victim of negative sterotyping, i.e MCP is, I think, fully acceptable. it serves to illustrate the futility and inaccuracy of sterotypes. (I am using you and I in a general sense below)

hypothesis:

You are a MCP - stated because i fulfill one or more conditons for the overall condition of being an MCP. eg im male, men from a certain subjective perspective tend to be patriarchal ergo MCP

You are a bull dyke. stated because you fulfill one or more conditions of being a bull dyke, eg you are female and of a feminist persuasion and some(erroneous) conventional wisdom holds that "the womens movement is filled with ball breaking lesbians." ergo you are a bull dyke.

its in the spirit of pot kettle black, a feminist posits a useless statement which is in fact quite offensive and i do likewise.

I agree it is offensive to lesbians however i do not agree that i would not call one that in the course of friendly banter. ditto with the arse bandit thing, i have called gay acquaintances of mine such and they have in retun said derogatory things about my orientation. i treat them as equals and i wouldnt talk to/ banter with them in any manner different than i would my straight friends. TBH i think its quite unfair to them to not have a laugh and treat them like ordinary people not super sensitive fragile heads with handle with care stamped all over them. that is a bit off topic though.

fair ****s to you questionner

you should be able to run with stuff in a banter way more then the PC brigade lot get you away with.

I hates the overanalytical crap where the truth gets left behind in an otherwise intelligent debate.

Once you loose the ability to laugh at yourself applies here -but there are some people I wont test that with :pac:

its not that off topic -if men and women get to debate equally they should be able to run with each other -lots of women admired Mo Mowlam but wouldnt be able to sit down with the lads in the way she showed them how to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

interesting video on the subject

OK lads lets have a beers and all meet up at a Curves Gym ( the gym that does not allow men to join) with kit bags and try to join up .

Standman wrote: »
    interesting video on the subject

Saw this on BBC's teletext:
    http://phuketwan.com/tourism/mediawatch-ominous-signs-point-action-against-reds-12408/
    bbc.co.uk Leaders of the red-shirt movement said they now feared a government crackdown to forcibly disperse them from their Bangkok encampment. An army spokesman had earlier said that what he called terrorists infiltrating the crowds would be suppressed, but the conditions were not yet right for such an operation because of the presence of so many innocent protestors, including women and children.
    Why do they need to mention women specifically?
    What would be wrong with "so many innocent protestors, including children".
    It suggests to me the protesters might be seen as fair targets if there were no women and children there.

Part 1

The mass media is anti-male by commercial design. Comprehensive study data shows the depth of disrespect for men. Even ‘Old-school’ feminists are appalled at the damage being done to men. The media is ‘Wrong, both factually and morally”, says MRA Amfortas. Government pays for an agitprop war on men’s reputation to frighten women. At what cost?

Part 2

Women have unconsciously adopted a habit of disrespecting men. “Men are feeling profoundly disappointed, disillusioned and disgusted” and are withdrawing their support and protection of women. Society, and women in particular, are losing a valuable resource needed for its healthy continuance. The Love of men. Is this what women want?

Have a listen

http://soundcloud.com/christian-j/give-a-dog-a-bad-name-part-1

http://soundcloud.com/christian-j/give-a-dog-a-bad-name-pt-2
    Thanks citytillidie.
    It's a pity the issue of how men are portrayed isn't researched more and also discussed more in courses.

I remember a few years ago, the Equality Authority commissioned at study looking at how women were portrayed in media advertisements. Given they are supposed to be impartial, I think it would have been preferable if they had looked at how both men and women are portrayed. This is discrimination in a way - discrimination in how resources are allocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,005 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This guy may have gotten compensation from BA over sex discrimination.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10401416.stm

But with that policy i am glad i am not flying with BA on my on, they seem to imply single males travelling alone are presumed to be pedophiles?

I am also glad he donated the money to Kidscape and not the NSPCC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

This guy may have gotten compensation from BA over sex discrimination.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/10401416.stm

But with that policy i am glad i am not flying with BA on my on, they seem to imply single males travelling alone are presumed to be pedophiles?

I am also glad he donated the money to Kidscape and not the NSPCC

Based on the grilling I got at Dublin Airport passport recently, they are in good company with single mothers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement