Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Max Payne

Options
  • 08-03-2010 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭

I recently saw the film for Max Payne,anyone else besides myself,feels that this game had immense potential to be an epic piece of film?Only that its potential was completely wasted?It should have been the greatest game-film adaptation in history.:(:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

It should have been the greatest game-film adaptation in history.:(:mad:

It was ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Film -> game rarely works well, game -> film works even less. It's the way of the world :)

I stayed away from the Max Payne film for that reason. The last game film I saw was Hitman and I found that terrible. I wonder what Price of Persia will be like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The game > film change over can be horrible, but some of them are quite entertaining. Watch them once and never again, but I wouldn't consider Max Payne to be that awful really.

The film didn't really feel anything like the games though, they had the general story about his wife and chid murdered but it was just all downhill from there. Soldiers taking drugs that alter their perception(close enough?).... was that even in the games?, i don't remember it anyway.

They only had the slow motion shoot out part towards the end, that was an integral part of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The film didn't really feel anything like the games though, they had the general story about his wife and chid murdered but it was just all downhill from there. Soldiers taking drugs that alter their perception(close enough?).... was that even in the games?, i don't remember it anyway.

They only had the slow motion shoot out part towards the end, that was an integral part of the game.

If they put everything in the game into the film, it's going to be some piece of rubbish. Instead of making the film for the gamers, a relatively small market, they make an adaptation of the film for everyone to view. Why would they invest so much money to keep a tiny percentage of the market happy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Speaking of films and games, why isn't there a District 9 game, it has awesome potential to be good, the film felt kinda like a game

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

In what way could it have been epic? The story for MP and MP2 was formulaic and has been told countless times.

The only thing MP did that was remotely new was to implement slow motion and that was nothing new in the cinema world when the movie was released

Having said that, they could have hired someone other than that absolutely plank Wahlberg but that would have served to bring the score from 0/5 to like... .1/5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I liked the Hitman movie , max payne had it's moments ...... the one's with Olga Kurylenko in :) who come to think of it was in max payne too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The only one that worked was Goldeneye and that just about had bits of the film and made up other parts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Max Payne could have been a fun action movie. It wasnt. Plus, Mila Kunis as Mona Sax? **** off.
    game -> film works even less
    You've obviously never seen the Mario Brothers movie :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Kiith wrote: »
    You've obviously never seen the Mario Brothers movie :P

Dear god why did you have to bring that up,im going to have nightmares now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

I loved Mario Bros, had it on vhs way back. And Hitman was good, given the style of game it was.

Havent seen MP, looking forward it though, sounds like my kinda film

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

It's not that bad... have you seen any Uwe Boll movies? House of the Dead or Alone in the Dark were godawful. (but highly entertaining with a few beers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

It's not that bad... have you seen any --- ---- movies? House of the Dead or Alone in the Dark were godawful. (but highly entertaining with a few beers)

Please dont mention that name.

Please.

Or ill kick a puppy

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

U*e B**l should be taken out and shot, but at the same time, part of me still wants to watch Bloodrayne... (I was one of the few people that enjoyed the game I think!)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

It's not that bad... have you seen any Uwe Boll movies? House of the Dead or Alone in the Dark were godawful. (but highly entertaining with a few beers)

House of the Dead is great craic with a few beers, it's nicely OTT and spotting the flaws (trampolines visible, skin under makeup) is a pretty good drinking game! The plot works on its own logic and is truly an enjoyable ridiculous piece of trash. :D

Alone in the Dark and Bloodrayne however were bad in the sense that they are thoroughly mundane, poorly shot and dull. Tedious to the point of irritation, predictable and poorly acted the only positive highlights are the sex scenes - Alone in the Dark as it's out-of-the-blue fully clothed and painful/hilarious to watch, Bloodrayne as Kristanna Loken is hot. :)

Max Payne is just as bad. The pacing is too slow, the super-slow-mo WAY too slow, it kills the excitement. The film perks up momentarily at the end with the shoot-out but that's so poorly shot as well, mostly closeups of Max's face with flashes. His leap from the cops down the hall and the camera shot panning around the angel were the only decent parts in the entire film. And that was, what, 7 seconds? Olga Kurylenko adds probably enough to make a New York minute's worth of the film worth watching. But only barely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'd forgottent the sex scene in alone in the dark. Had some laughs watching that with a few mats, we were in bits laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 LinHaX

The storyline in the movie is much different than the one in games (you have a lot of common characters, but overall nothing was similar to game`s storyline). It would be a good movie, if it wouldn`t include Max Payne character. BTW waiting for Max Payne 3 ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The Silent Hill movie was pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

quarryman wrote: »

I enjoyed that one aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

theres few decent ones I thought.. silent hill, tomb raider, resident evil, final fantasy - and max payne wasnt totally awful

hitman was dire imo.. the scene were 4 hitmen all close up together, drop their guns and have a little-knife-fight-circle jerk was perhaps the worst scene I've seen in recent history :o

have a guilty secret of liking doom, and the original street fighter (van damme as guile) <.<

Wossack wrote: »
    hitman was dire imo.. the scene were 4 hitmen all close up together, drop their guns and have a little-knife-fight-circle jerk was perhaps the worst scene I've seen in recent history :o

You just reminded me something. If these 4 hitmen came to kill the main character, why did they fight also with themselves? Probably they got confused that they didn`t met Vin Diesel ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

U*e B**l should be taken out and shot, but at the same time, part of me still wants to watch Bloodrayne... (I was one of the few people that enjoyed the game I think!)

Be careful about criticising Uwe Boll, he'll challenge you to a duel.

Be careful about criticising Uwe Boll, he'll challenge you to a duel.

And release it as a Tekken movie. Seriously, be careful :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,898 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was watchable at best. The storyline progressing as if it was a videogame was ridiculous (oh lets go to the school to find a clue... oh the clue tells us to go to the church). Also it should have been so much better. It went for a pretty corny ghost story instead of the psychological horror of the first 2 games and threw in pyramid head as fan service and in doing so completely missed the point of why he was so effective in the second game and what he symbolically represented.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Wossack wrote: »
    have a guilty secret of liking doom, and the original street fighter (van damme as guile) <.<

Doom's brilliant craic. Most entertaining braindead film I think I've ever seen. Certainly that's videogame related anyway. Came out of the cinema beaming for about 2 hours after. Better than sex? Better than Max Payne anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

Did I hear that bioshock was being movieified? I think that could work, if they stuck to the plot. I'd love to see Rapture on the big screen, all that art deco stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Prince of Persia looks pretty good.

One of the first game to movie efforts was a kids spy film called Cloak And Dagger, based on an old Atari game, not bad.
    Of course the return, movie to game has had some famous disasters, not least the Atari ET debacle, mother of god, what a load of sh1te!

I'd love to see a new The Last Starfighter film and a game tie in to boot!

And lastly, hoping that Tron Legacy comes with a great game in it's wake, I want Lightcycles on my 360 gods damn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Did I hear that bioshock was being movieified? I think that could work, if they stuck to the plot. I'd love to see Rapture on the big screen, all that art deco stuff.

Yeh, being written by the guy who did Gladiator among other big films. It was supposed to be out this year but got pushed back a bunch and its now only in pre-production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,264 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

yeah, best movie adaptation of a game. Really atmospheric. I also like the resident evil movies but that's probably my own gra for cheesy zombie films.

Never bothered with the tomb raider film, probably won't bother with the Max Payne film either.

A Grand Theft Auto film would be pretty cool though

Advertisement