Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is "The North" still cheapest for everything kitchen?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Sound, I have a few other quotes to come in from north but will see. I must get on to Power City and check it out cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

paddy147 wrote: »
    I got alot of stuff at near trade price from Power City recently,a mechanic friend of mine put mer in touch with the manager of 1 of the Power City branches and he was more than happy to sell me what i wanted for a price that really did suit me.Got it all delievered to my doorstep next day for free.

You keep going on about these great prices you've received Paddy, and yet you still won't mention/list what you got. What have you got against mentioning them?

As for my own position, I gotten a few online quotes from UK/NI sites, and I've gotten a quote from a few local suppliers. Now I haven't haggled with the online companies like I have with the local suppliers, and I've taken delivery from the UK/NI to be £150 for each quote, and given the current exchange rate, the UK/NI and local quotes are all coming in around the same mark. One local supplier, O'Dwyers Electrical in Cork, are actually a good few euro cheaper than anything I can get online.

The wife has the list of appliances and stuff at home. When I get the list, I'll be sure and post them with the prices I've haggled.

Soarer wrote: »
    You keep going on about these great prices you've received Paddy, and yet you still won't mention/list what you got. What have you got against mentioning them?

As for my own position, I gotten a few online quotes from UK/NI sites, and I've gotten a quote from a few local suppliers. Now I haven't haggled with the online companies like I have with the local suppliers, and I've taken delivery from the UK/NI to be £150 for each quote, and given the current exchange rate, the UK/NI and local quotes are all coming in around the same mark. One local supplier, O'Dwyers Electrical in Cork, are actually a good few euro cheaper than anything I can get online.

The wife has the list of appliances and stuff at home. When I get the list, I'll be sure and post them with the prices I've haggled.

There is feck all in the difference between uk/north and roi now. I got five quotes in from uk/north today and some were actually more expensive, so as far as I am concerned, good aul DID are the crew to deal with. Powercity were more expensive than DID.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Everyone is different,Im merely saying that there are bargins to be had.

Its up to each individual person to barter and haggle as much as he/she can and get as good a deal as he/she can.Personally,Ive done very well buying down here in Dublin and flashing the cash under the sales men noses,and Ive saved alot of euros in the process,after doing my homework and snooping around,and by also being put in contact with the manager of 1 particular electrical store.I now deal with him directly,whenever I want anything electrical related.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

powercity dont have managers in individual stores ,you must be dealing with one one the mckenna family ?

• Advertisement

I got alot of stuff at near trade price from Power City recently,
    d for a price that really did suit me .

post just 1 model number and i will give you the 'trade'price see if you got it

knighted_1 wrote: »
    post just 1 model number and i will give you the 'trade'price see if you got it

Since your offering:D :

Neff Double Oven U14M42W0GB

Everyone is different,Im merely saying that there are bargins to be had.

Its up to each individual person to barter and haggle as much as he/she can and get as good a deal as he/she can.Personally,Ive done very well buying down here in Dublin and flashing the cash under the sales men noses,and Ive saved alot of euros in the process,after doing my homework and snooping around,and by also being put in contact with the manager of 1 particular electrical store.I now deal with him directly,whenever I want anything electrical related.

Regards.

All well and good, but once again, you've not given even one example. You've been asked on numerous occassions to provide an example and you haven't, so I'm gonna conclude you're either talking tripe, or you're a supplier/retailer of electrical goods.

Just to show you how easy it is, the quote we got was...

Bosch Intergrated Dishwasher (SGV46M13) - €480
    Whirlpool Washing Machine (AWOD4606) - €310
    Whirlpool Condenser Dryer (AWZ7303) - €320
    Electrolux Double Oven (EOD43103X) - €644
    Bosch Microwave (HMT84M651) - €370
    Samsung Fridge Freezer (RSH7ZNRS) - €1169

They waived the €25 delivery charge on the F/F, and the grand total comes in at €3293. Probably get another few euro off that price too.

So if anyone can source me all the above for cheaper, I'd be glad to know from where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Also the UK vat rate has gone up now,since the last Uk budget.

Not till 4th Jan 2011

Just wanted to update as I had posted already. I assumed DID were the cheapest (and they do to), but read another post about cunniffes in Galway. They beat DID, who I revisited and the salesman wanted a copy to send to his boss as he said nobody should be cheaper. I told him no he aint going to get it. He can look but don't touch. I said I would be buying tomorrow and if he wanted to do business he had to beat the other quote and not just match it.

Never got a call so go on you good thing me aul cunniffes!!!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Plus cuniffes should be better to deal with,with them being independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

All well and good, but once again, you've not given even one example. You've been asked on numerous occassions to provide an example and you haven't, so I'm gonna conclude you're either talking tripe, or you're a supplier/retailer of electrical goods.

Just to show you how easy it is, the quote we got was...

Bosch Intergrated Dishwasher (SGV46M13) - €480
    Whirlpool Washing Machine (AWOD4606) - €310
    Whirlpool Condenser Dryer (AWZ7303) - €320
    Electrolux Double Oven (EOD43103X) - €644
    Bosch Microwave (HMT84M651) - €370
    Samsung Fridge Freezer (RSH7ZNRS) - €1169

They waived the €25 delivery charge on the F/F, and the grand total comes in at €3293. Probably get another few euro off that price too.

So if anyone can source me all the above for cheaper, I'd be glad to know from where.

Hi Soarer,

I've had a look at the UK online outlet that I dealt with and I must say that those are cracking good prices. Did you buy in Ireland? By all means, let us know where. If there's an Irish based retailer whose prices can beat UK/NI prices then I'm all in favour or supporting them!

Regards,

Exaisle

Soarer,I'm not the biggest fan of the 4606. Were you thinking of any other washing machines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

I'd like to stick my size 9's in here and venture Currys as an option. God knows, we buy enough product in the UK that we should be able to compete with any Northern price. If we can't then fair enough, consumers should go where the value is. The euro / sterling rate plays a much larger part in this than most other things ( notwithstanding the cost of doing business here ) but that's our problem, not the customers. and the rate is fairly favourable at the moment.

So I'd like to see how we fare if anyone's up for it. If it doesn't make commercial sense there's no use in us trying to match and I wouldn't try. There's little point in processing cash when it doesn't cover the base costs of running a business.

Funny thing is I visited Currys in Galway, go in with the list and I speak to some salesman. I say I am looking for these products, he goes away to check on computer so I browse around the kitchen section. He comes back and says we don't do this manufacturer so I had to inform him currys do and i bring him to where the ovens and hobs are and show him. He goes "oh I didn't know that" and he starts making more issues about the other products so I say forget it and give me the list. He just pissed me off because I felt like I was trying to force the sale. My wife was with me and she comments how this guy could cost a store some serious money in sales as I was purchasing in the region of 5k

So this put me off currys in that I was thinking, if this is how these guys are trained in sales, what would their customer service be like

Clearly hadn't a clue Audioslaven.

Oh yes big time. I ended going with cunniffes today. I have never actually called into the store, just an email and a two calls and a sale was done for all kitchen appliances, no ifs - buts or maybes which make the whole process so much easier.

I would not have liked the idea of going in expecting advice from that guy in currys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Currys PC World: Declan

Well that 's clearly very unimpressive. Cunniffe's 1 Currys 0. Well done Cunniffe's. My Galway store manager is a proud sort and this sort of public feedback is on his way to him. I think it will prove useful . Thanks for it.

Sorry, haven't been online for a while.
    exaisle wrote: »
    Hi Soarer,

I've had a look at the UK online outlet that I dealt with and I must say that those are cracking good prices. Did you buy in Ireland? By all means, let us know where. If there's an Irish based retailer whose prices can beat UK/NI prices then I'm all in favour or supporting them!

Regards,

Exaisle

Yeah. Bought in Harvey Norman's. They beat every other quote I got, so 'twas an easy decision. Money talks after all. Went back to the other retailers with the HN quote, and all they'd do was match them. Even if they'd beaten it by a fiver, they'd have gotten our €4k+. But the fact they were only matching it meant I was going with HN.
    greetings wrote: »
    Soarer,I'm not the biggest fan of the 4606. Were you thinking of any other washing machines?

Not really. I seem to remember reading fairly decent reviews of it, and it suited our budget. Can't be that bad surely, especially at that money?
    I'd like to stick my size 9's in here and venture Currys as an option. God knows, we buy enough product in the UK that we should be able to compete with any Northern price. If we can't then fair enough, consumers should go where the value is. The euro / sterling rate plays a much larger part in this than most other things ( notwithstanding the cost of doing business here ) but that's our problem, not the customers. and the rate is fairly favourable at the moment.

So I'd like to see how we fare if anyone's up for it. If it doesn't make commercial sense there's no use in us trying to match and I wouldn't try. There's little point in processing cash when it doesn't cover the base costs of running a business.

I went to my local Curry's, and they were a disaster. AFAIR, they only had one product on their system (the Samsung F/F), it would be a special order, and was up over €1500! I haven't darkened their door since.

Just where I work myself we had a few of them come back in the last few months with drums gone in them,needing the machine to be replaced. I like the Samsung washing machines either around the same mark,the exact model evades me at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think some of the Samsung washers now come out of Poland, as they bought the Amica outfit.

Have to agree with greetings, the 4606/4605 weren't the most reliable of machines, though of course, not everyone has been affected, so you won't necessarily have problems.

I find the Amica machines to be decent too,haven't seen a whole load of them though.
    That's true,but the Whirlpool after sales service has gone to the dogs too since they went back to England. Actually just after I posted about the 4606 a lad in work,his mum's machine gave up.

Sorry lads, I'm an idiot.

We changed the washing machine and dryer since that list.:rolleyes:

We're now going for two Hotpoint units:
    TCL780P - Condenser Dryer.
    WMF740P - Washine Machine.

Hopefully we've done the right thing.

The one thing about Hotpoint I don't like is the call out fee on a service.

greetings wrote: »
    I find the Amica machines to be decent too,haven't seen a whole load of them though.
    That's true,but the Whirlpool after sales service has gone to the dogs too since they went back to England. Actually just after I posted about the 4606 a lad in work,his mum's machine gave up.

i think amica and whirlpool are the same machine

Really? I didn't know that.

Advertisement