Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Lovely ad from New Zealand that is trending right now.

It might resonate with a few people here, I know I've been in this situation before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Article in the irish times this weekend about gay saunas in Dublin

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/last-days-of-the-irish-gay-sauna-1.2975569

• Registered Users Posts: 40,790 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Milo is such a horrible person that I cant help be delighted at his downfall

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

An interesting perspective on the future of sexuality

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170315-the-invention-of-heterosexuality

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

An interesting perspective on the future of sexuality

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170315-the-invention-of-heterosexuality

I don't know. It's an interesting article - with a discussion probably deserving of its own thread here - but this "Fewer than half British 18-24 year-olds identify as being 100% heterosexual" - I would like to know where exactly they did their polling. Sounds iffy at best.

I don't know. It's an interesting article - with a discussion probably deserving of its own thread here - but this "Fewer than half British 18-24 year-olds identify as being 100% heterosexual" - I would like to know where exactly they did their polling. Sounds iffy at best.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/08/16/half-young-not-heterosexual/

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/7zv13z8mfn/YG-Archive-150813-%20Sexuality.pdf

Terry Pratchet

No, yougov is not a very reliable source I'm afraid. It sounds very official but it's not reliable at all.

Even Dave Gorman ripped that site a new anus.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, yougov is not a very reliable source I'm afraid. It sounds very official but it's not reliable at all.

Even Dave Gorman ripped that site a new anus.

Can you provide actual evidence, rather than referencing a comedian who has mostly faded from public relevance, of the problems with their data? Issues with statistical models, sampling, whatever?

Okay, , I did read it and if I'm understanding the numbers correctly: Out of 99(%) pool of 18-24 y/os that answered - which is a pretty low segment of the populace to begim with - when asked in binary terns if gay or straight: 83% said straight..

Asked by the Kinsey scale: 46(%) are completely straight. 22 are pretty damn sure they are straight - and okay, I'll give you the 13 who picked number 2 (for sake of argument, they can be called "heteroflexible") - that's still over 2/3s of all 18-24 y/os polled from a very diluted pool of participants to begin with (the very nature of yougov poliling means you will never get a full representation of the people - just the people who are interested in taking polls) who are sure they are straight. I will grant you there is a drop in 0s on the scale in that age range compared to older groups - but this is where the question is flawed. What is "1" descibed as in the question? it's not at all defined is the answer. It still seems pretty hetero to me. What If you asked somebody who didn't like spiders how much they didn't like spiders on a scale of 0-6. They might aay "1" too - if answering "0" implied they had an irrational fear of said spiders and "1" meant: Well, I'm afraid of them, but my fear is not totally irrational in nature. No, I'm pretty sure those people who chose "1" are hetero. And thia is further backed uo by 73 of that age group saying they had never had sexual relationships with same sex partners.

As for the questions only asked to those wjo identified as hetero: Well the language used is very leading. "If the RIGHT person came along at the RIGHT time" - I mean, that is just ridiculoua. Of course if the right person came along they'd consider it. The right person at the right times implies there is some sort of perfect meeting of x and y that would occur - which is entirely unrealiatic.

No, i'm not convinced of anything other than a positive shift in acceptance of other sexualities on a whole and that more younger people (74 of those asked) are willing to accept there is a sliding scale which allows for a middle rather than a binary - but that still leaves about 68% of 18-24s nearer to the edge than the centre. And 83% stil said straight when asked in the more conventional manner

What can I say, I'm cynical.

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

B00! wrote: »
    I wish this was a private forum.

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

no reason :o sorry, was just thinking out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I wondered when they would make a grab for that pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I'm sitting on the couch in the front room. The door into the dining room is open. Nephew walks into the dining room, singing:
    "My life is a mess, because under that dress, she's got a P-E-N-I-"

Me: You do realise how offensive that is?
    Nephew: It's not.

My brother and my niece immediately figure out what I am referring to, but nephew doesn't.

**Some Time Later**

Nephew: So, how it is it offensive?
    Me: Are you really that thick?
    N: I'm not thick.
    M: Who are you talking to?
    N: You
    M: And?
    N: *blank stare*
    M: So, casual transphobia means nothing to you?
    N: *blank stare, eyes glazing over*
    M: You're never going to get it *sigh*

At what point does it become permissible to beat it into him? *screams internally*

I'm sitting on the couch in the front room. The door into the dining room is open. Nephew walks into the dining room, singing:
    "My life is a mess, because under that dress, she's got a P-E-N-I-"

Me: You do realise how offensive that is?
    Nephew: It's not.

My brother and my niece immediately figure out what I am referring to, but nephew doesn't.

**Some Time Later**

Nephew: So, how it is it offensive?
    Me: Are you really that thick?
    N: I'm not thick.
    M: Who are you talking to?
    N: You
    M: And?
    N: *blank stare*
    M: So, casual transphobia means nothing to you?
    N: *blank stare, eyes glazing over*
    M: You're never going to get it *sigh*

At what point does it become permissible to beat it into him? *screams internally*

Just curious. What age was your nephew?

And yeah, your average straight male will never care nor will they even try to get it - unless they actually find themselves in that exact situation as described in the song. Then they'll care, and all bets are off.

Post Junior Cert, pre Leaving Cert. Not old enough to be an adult, but old enough to at least have some understanding (or so I would have thought)

Post Junior Cert, pre Leaving Cert. Not old enough to be an adult, but old enough to at least have some understanding (or so I would have thought)

Nope. I have a nephew and niece, similar age - they don't get it, despite the education on LGBT in most schools - they don't really go into the nuance of what might actually cause offence. Admittedly, their parent's attitudes don't help.

As I'm sure you know, teenagers lack empathy to begin with, so totally overlooking the fact lyrics might actually cause offence to trans people is not a surprise to me, in the least.

The most empathetic teenager I have ever met was gay and he just got it. Straight kids rarely do. Maybe when they are a little older. Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

There is going to be a gay pride march in Castlebar Mayo this weekend. A small affair of course but I never though I'd see the day. Probably a one off but nonetheless.

AllForIt wrote: »
    There is going to be a gay pride march in Castlebar Mayo this weekend. A small affair of course but I never though I'd see the day. Probably a one off but nonetheless.

I'd say it wont be a one off. Pride has never really been a one off. An organisational committee would I dont think decide to have a one off pride but their 1st

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'd say it wont be a one off. Pride has never really been a one off. An organisational committee would I dont think decide to have a one off pride but their 1st

Yeah you could be right. I just read that it was organized by OUTWEST who thought they would do something special in recognition of the anniversary of 20 years of their existence. I can't see it being a regular event myself but ya I could be wrong.

Had a mental health assessment today, as part of working to a diagnosis of gender dysphoria, allowing me to proceed to aligning my physical self with my mental self.

Went well I think. Still don't know if I need to be referred to someone else, or if it can be handled by the current service, but, and this is good news...

I wasn't deemed to have a mental problem.
    I wasn't deemed to be a danger to myself or others.
    I wasn't sectioned.
    I was treated as a relatively normal person, with relatively normal things I need to get through.

One more step done anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Today in Penny's I notice little rucksacks with FEMME written on them.

I did a little double take and thought FEMME is a word I'd regard as part of LGBTQ+ language. Femme to me was always associated on the binary with butch in lesbian culture and more recently in regards to men (albeit in the negative) with No fats, no femmes, etc.

I'm not screaming 'cultural appropriation' it just made me double take.

I have to admit I felt the same.

My high femme girlfriend got quite annoyed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

I have to admit I felt the same.

My high femme girlfriend got quite annoyed.

Glad someone else saw it too.

It feels like it's exploiting identity. But a feckin Kardashian could of said it or something that it ended up on a Penny's bag.

In all fairness, the Penneys creative process, and you can try this yourself, is:

Pick
    Three
    Words

Add glitter

Print it.

For example: Unicorn Flapjack Snapchat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Haven't posted here in a long time, thought i might give it a go again.

On a related note, i will totally buy a penneys t-shirt if it says purple monkey dishwasher

• Advertisement

Dunno if this is of interest but there's a new video series starting tomorrow on the topic of Queer Body Love- I think it's something that a lot of gay folks struggle with but often the resources that are out there are focused on really hetero-normative ideals- a la if you're a lady you'll want to try lacy lingerie to feel sexy, etc.

I have NO IDEA if it'll be any good but I signed up purely because Sinclair Sexsmith is involved and I love a lot of their stuff (some of it is a bit outside my comfort zone but hey!)

The details are here anyway.

Advertisement