Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Animal Rights protesters

Options
  • 07-03-2010 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

So I was walking by lincoln place the other day and couldn't help but notice the animal rights protesters are young. Very young. So young I would have thought they'd be in primary school at that time of day. It's a disgrace that children are being brainwashed like this and taken out of school to get involved in matters they've no clue about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

It's heartening to see our young people are so very concerned about matters of importance and relevance in this day and age. Luddism should be applauded.

I have to admit that in general obnoxious people shouting at me as I try to innocently walk by tend not to enamor me to their cause; most especially very young and obnoxious people. Funny how that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I purposely punch cats in front of them. Disgraceful carry-on on their behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

phlegms wrote: »
    I purposely punch cats in front of them. Disgraceful carry-on on their behalf.

It's one thing if people are fully aware of all the sides of an issue through debate and then decide to come down on one side over the other, but children are just been feed crap by manipulative adults. What type of sick **** has children standing on street corners handing out flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

If they're that dillusional, it's a good thing they can't vote yet. And to think, some people want to lower the voting age. That would be disastrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Some of the those animal protesters are quite seriously bonkers. The genetics department has had a number of security issues with wackos.

Not sure where I stand on the 'brainwashing'. Should you bring your children to mass? Surely that's a subtle form of brain washing? Should you bring your children to the polling station? Not to instill a sense of civic duty but to encourage the support of a particular party? Should you bring your children to a soccer match? Surely that kind of behaviour influences which club they'll support.

Is it not some kind of term holiday anyway? Easter or mid term or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Is it not some kind of term holiday anyway? Easter or mid term or something

Nah, mid-term was last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Boston wrote: »
    It's one thing if people are fully aware of all the sides of an issue through debate and then decide to come down on one side over the other, but children are just been feed crap by manipulative adults. What type of sick **** has children standing on street corners handing out flyers.

People like this Laura Broxson character:
    She claimed animal testing "doesn't work" and said the NARA believes that even if it did, "living, breathing, sentient animals" should not be used for these purposes. She also claimed NARA has reports of cats, dogs and even horses being used at TCD. TCD could use other methods, such as those involving human material, cell cultures and computer modelling, if it chose to, she said.

Sell the image of a teenager's cat/dog/horse being cruelly tortured for extended periods by cackling evil mad Trinity scientists and you'll have a veritable gaggle of young protesters in no time.

Retards. There cries for human testing would carry more weight if they themselves volunteered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

I remember there used to be a bunch of lesbians that would hang outside the front gate in the mornings shouting about how the evil TCD scientists used animals for experiments. I was ashamed that passing tourists might think the college harboured "their type".

I'd prefer if they didn't exist at all but it's nice to learn that they've been brushed off to a less prominent part of the college around Lincoln Place.

I'm not involved in animal test at all, but I took the time to educate myself on how the process works in trinity. There is a massive amount of oversight, ever use of animals in testing has to be justified in detail to an ethics committee, every alternative has to be explored including simulation. Trinity college is one of the most conscientious animal testers in the country if not Europe. Do you think private animal testing is like this? Thats the alternative in reality to trinity doing it in house. Send if off to India or eastern Europe where there's no over sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

rabble rabble legalise bestiality rabble rabble

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Lame Lantern

I totally got loaded and fingered Jess from down the road at the live animal testing protest last Friday, politics is awesome.

I'm not involved in animal test at all, but I took the time to educate myself on how the process works in trinity. There is a massive amount of oversight, ever use of animals in testing has to be justified in detail to an ethics committee, every alternative has to be explored including simulation. Trinity college is one of the most conscientious animal testers in the country if not Europe. Do you think private animal testing is like this? Thats the alternative in reality to trinity doing it in house. Send if off to India or eastern Europe where there's no over sight.

Just on a small technical point. The use of animals in experiments IS very carefully regulated when the animals are VERTEBRATES. This includes all mammals, birds, reptiles, frogs, etc. But it does not include insects, spiders, octopus, squid, snails etc.

Generally speaking, most animal testing is carried out on rats and mice, fruit flies, a certain species of frog and fish. Outside Ireland, there is considerably more testing on animals like Rhesus Monkeys, Dogs and cats and Chimpanzees. (open to correction on this)

I've flip-flopped on the ethics on animal testing. To further clarify, animal testing can mean either performing in vitro experiments on the cells harvested from lab animals (perhaps after other testing had been carried out) as well as performing experiments on live animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

I wonder if they would refuse antibiotics when really ill. What about the vaccinations that most have probably received as children. How about surgery? All tested on animals. The hair dye in their hair, the makeup on their face. not that I agree with those things and even if they say that their makeup etc wasn't tested, the previous products which these ones are based on were.

Well one of them had sever acne, I'm sure she was refusing treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭caffrey

What if it was LIFE THREATENING acne though??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

They're idiots, simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cantankerous

Tbh one of the animal rights protesters is kinda hot :o.

Surely their point is that since the mid 20th century we've moved on from requiring extensive animal testing for all pharmacological research.

If there were no animal rights protesters there would be less transparency in animal testing research.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

There can never be enough pharmacological testing.

*cough* thalidomide *cough*

Don't quote this as gospel now, but at current testing standards something like 1/3 of new products on the market are dropped after six years, deemed unsuitable. And you want to reduce the level of pre-market exposure testing?!?!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if you're qualified to talk about this above the man at the bar level I'm certainly not. But if, using your argument, scores of pharmaceuticals are released on the market and then withdrawn, obviously using animals models of disease and treatment are rather lacking.

It's certainly isn't always the case that a drug that treats a rat disease in a rat is going to be effective on the human. Nor when a human disease is somehow inserted in rat.

Surely we need more human testing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

You all seem to have your views on animal testing for pharma and cosmetics. What do you make of the use of live bioassays almost day in, day out for other more routine matters?

Just playing devils advocate, here.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Oh I'm firmly at man-at-the-bar level here (I'm actually a barman!)

The trouble with human testing is finding willing subjects, and the financial rewards they demand.

*gingerly steps around the stem cell debate*

I guess you could sum my stance up as "I'm happy that they know far more than me, that they know what they're doing ,and that if they keep working away, they're less likely to get it wrong in future. If you start restricting their possible testing methods, it might bite us all in the ass."

And if Irish politics has taught me anything, it's that if something "might" happen, well sure you're better off leaving it as is and forgetting about it. :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm not sure if you're qualified to talk about this above the man at the bar level I'm certainly not. But if, using your argument, scores of pharmaceuticals are released on the market and then withdrawn, obviously using animals models of disease and treatment are rather lacking.

It's certainly isn't always the case that a drug that treats a rat disease in a rat is going to be effective on the human. Nor when a human disease is somehow inserted in rat.

Surely we need more human testing?
    Certainly. The following article isn't exactly scientifically minded, but some of the points in it certainly rang true. The point it made about how scientists became good at curing cancer in mice rather than in humans summed it up, albeit somewhat sensationally.

Thalidomide is an interesting case. I can't remember where I read it, but no testing was carried out on pregnant mammals before its release I think. While that was obviously wrong, subsequent testing when the scandal broke wasn't too conclusive in showing the effects on mammalian offspring. Even on primates.

Having said that, some of the "arguments" that those people base their protests on are absurd, and they should bugger off to a place where animals are actually treated cruelly and with wanton regard.

Actually nevermind animal experimentation in the name of science, how about defending the rights of horses and ponies roaming some of the suburbs of Dublin?! They would be better off preventing actual incidences of cruelty from occurring, like what happened in Clondalkin recently.

Anyone interested in the area of conservation and animal rights may be interested in the Oscar winning documentary The Cove about dolphin hunting in a area in Japan. Very interesting subject matter put across in a very entertaining but serious way.

They do human testing in trinity. Theres an ethics commitee for it. I don't know if it's pharmaceutical testing though.

I'd imagine the majority is done by the Psychology department but that' s a guess.

Yea, no one knows, no one cares. I'm sure the only reason we have a human testing ethics committee is as a result of those human rights protesters at Lincoln place... hold on, wait a minute...

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

So I was walking by lincoln place the other day and couldn't help but notice the animal rights protesters are young. Very young. So young I would have thought they'd be in primary school at that time of day. It's a disgrace that children are being brainwashed like this and taken out of school to get involved in matters they've no clue about.

As someone that lives in a country that's schools are run by churches, I'd think you wouldn't be so shocked by brainwashed kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

With regard to the arguments Sid_Justice and To_be_confirmed put forward about how effective animal testing is, I'd point out that those are just arguments for being more careful in testing procedures and not relying solely on animal testing. That a few drugs slip through isn't an argument against it; that a few drugs that might otherwise be quite harmful to human test subjects get stopped is a big argument for it. In general, human testing is clearly going to be necessary at some stage, but it seems reasonable to suggest that (a) by the time it reaches humans, a drug should have been tested for harmful effects in every other conceivable way possible and (b) that more layers of testing can only be a good thing.

I'd be a lot more convinced by the anti-animal testing brigade if they didn't seem to be comprised of a whole bunch of people with little or no knowledge of how any of the testing procedures actually work, or how the animals are actually treated, or what checks and balances there are in place.

Advertisement