Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 10: Baileys and Malteser Cheesecake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

shoes34 wrote: »
    I made it again with 2 packs and it was delicious. I was just wondering could you use light condensed milk?
    Yes you can and i've used extra light phili too, tastes just as good :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Had the Baileys version of this in work before so I made this with creme de menthe instead. Worked out lovely as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

Just wanted to say thanks for this, made it for Xmas day dessert, went down a treat. I did use 3 shots of baileys though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Just spotted this post now - a day too late :o . Made a lemon cheesecake last night (my very first attempt)

I used 2tubs of philadelphia, 200g of double cream, and the juice of 1 lemon.

However, I must have used too much cream cheese as the mixture was very thick and not at all easy to mix. Also tasted very much like cream cheese despite using all juice of the lemon. Added few spoons of sugar but idnt make any major difference.

Yes that is a lot of Cream cheese - just use less next time 1 tub of phili is plenty imo.
    i think adding the can of condensed milk is great as it add sweetness.
    You could make a Lemon curd or jelly on top and serve a smaller slice -the curd would cut through the overpowering cream cheese taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I made this today using low fat Philly and the low fat condensed milk and it went down a treat. Great recipe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I would love to try this, but have no Baileys and don't fancy paying the guts of E20 for one either as we don't drink it.

Are there any other, cheaper alternatives to Baileys that could be used for it? If not, I'll have to keep an eye out for special offer on Baileys or find a miniature bottle of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Toast4532 wrote: »
    I would love to try this, but have no Baileys and don't fancy paying the guts of E20 for one either as we don't drink it.

Are there any other, cheaper alternatives to Baileys that could be used for it? If not, I'll have to keep an eye out for special offer on Baileys or find a miniature bottle of it.

You'll pick up mini bottles pretty much in any off license, I seen them in my local tesco this weekend too, in behind the counter at customer service with the cig's.

Failing that get a cheap bottle of Irish liquor in aldi or lidl.

yep any mini bottle of cream liquor :)

Thanks so much for your help. I will see if I can find a miniature bottle of Baileys so :)

I was in Tesco's only yesterday too, wish I'd seen this before hand :( Oh well.

• Advertisement

Have pretty much all the ingredients, just waiting on a Tesco deliver for the rest.

I checked in Dunnes and Supervalu today for miniature bottles of Baileys and they didn't have them, SV had the large bottle for about E25 and Dunnes had a bottle for around E10.

Would a pub have the miniature bottles?

Pub or off licence should have them. I think tesco are doing hazelnut baileys for 13euro, i'm going to try that next week!

Thanks, I'll try an off licence this week.

Have never heard of the hazelnut Baileys, only ever had hazelnuts in chocolate and wasn't a fan, so might give the hazelnut baileys a miss.

Hoping to make this tonight, managed to get a bottle of Baileys in Dunnes for E13 as I couldn't find miniature bottles anywhere.

I got a small box of maltesers in Dealz (this one http://www.dealz.ie/product-range/a-z/120g-maltesers-box/ ) would I want to use the entire box or just some/half of it?

I'll be using light condensed milk, I don't want a very sweet flavour, so I'm thinking maybe only half the box, if even that?

Have this in the fridge now, hope it turns out right :)

I used 1.5 packs of gelatine after reading the whole thread, I also used about 260g of digestives as I like a thick base and I used 1.5 shots of Baileys. :D

I've been craving Baileys cheesecake for ages now so hopefully it turns out nice. Can't wait to try it :D

It was delicious, so tasty.

Unfortunately for me, I couldn't finish a full slice, I'd had one (maybe two....) JD & cokes and my dinner so I was pretty full. I will be eating a full slice tomorrow. Might even have two slices.

Good thing I couldn't find miniature bottles of Baileys, least now I have a good reason to use the full bottle.......:cool:

Just wondering - how long would this keep for in the fridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

I'm hoping to make this soon, just wondering has the condensed milk got anything to do with helping it set or does the gelatine do that on it's own? I want to reduce the amount of condensed milk so that it's not too sweet. Thanks:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

The gelatin by itself should do the setting. You could replace the condensed milk with 50:50 condensed milk:evaporated milk.

Great thank you. Cannot wait to taste it:p

• Advertisement

So I made it and for the most part it as delicious, but a lot of the gelatin seemed to have sunk to the bottom and there was a horrible rubbery jelly-like layer on top of the base around 1 or 2mm's thick, everyone else said it was fine, but it made me gag:eek: Does anyone have any idea what I could have done wrong?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

lily lou wrote: »
    So I made it and for the most part it as delicious, but a lot of the gelatin seemed to have sunk to the bottom and there was a horrible rubbery jelly-like layer on top of the base around 1 or 2mm's thick, everyone else said it was fine, but it made me gag:eek: Does anyone have any idea what I could have done wrong?
    The trick to gelatin seems to be whisking. Gentle stirring doesn't cut it; it needs to be whisked into the water and then the dissolved gelatin whisked into the mixture.

I made this (as well as Sparks' pulled pork) for my baby sister's homecoming from Dubai today. I erred on the side of too much gelatin, particularly as I substituted creme fraiche for the whipped cream, as I was worried about it being too sweet. I'll know to dial it back a bit for the next attempt, but I didn't want to take a chance on having it slopping all over the car :)

I decided to try something else new for the top: I made a chocolate lacquer glaze. I guess the idea was to be reminiscent of the chocolate shell on the Maltesers. It seems to have worked out really nicely. Next time I might go completely nuts and let the glaze run down the sides as well.

cheesecake.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I have made this twice and may as well offer tips from my experience with gelatin.

I could only find the sheets and thought one would be enough. Also, I think I completely messed up the process of adding to the mixture as I added it to just-boiled water which according to most guides, ruins it's gelling properties. The end result of the cheesecake was that although it tasted fantastic, it never set and was basically ice cream.

2nd time I used too much gelatin (5 sheets) but it worked perfectly, aside from turning the cake to complete jelly. I let the gelatin sheets soak in cold water for 10 mins and strained them. I then boiled 1/4 cup of water in a pot and removed it from the heat and added approx 1 cup of the cheesecake mix to it, stirring it all the way through. Then I added the strained gelatin, mixed it, then threw the whole lot into the food processor to mix with the entire cheesecake mix.

I have yet to taste the last one as I am saving it for the family on xmas day. I'm more scared than anything else :(

I find the leaves really hard to use - have ended up with lumps of geletin a few times so i try to stick to the powder. One is not enough for this recipe I used 3 last time if i recall correctly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I used the sachets, there was rubbery stuff left in the bottom of the jug I was using to mix and pour, but the cheesecake set absolutely perfectly. Still very creamy but not runny.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was just searching around the web for a Baileys Malteasers cheesecake recipe and came across this old thread. I'm gonna make a few of these for family and friends for Christmas presents. Just wondering can anyone tell me whats the difference between baked and non-baked versions ? Which is tastier or has a better mouthfeel ? Also in non baked recipies I love the idea of cutting the malteasers in half and placing some inside the cake but I'm guessing if you did this with the baked version the chocolate would just melt and flow into the cake mixture, making it pointless in comparison ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I prefer no-bake to baked cheesecakes in almost all circumstances. No-bake texture is lighter and fluffier. I have never made a baked version of this cheesecake though.

The only advantage I could see would be that since baked cheesecakes usually use eggs to firm the base, you could make this vegetarian friendly by leaving out the gelatine. But by doing that, you would need a whole new recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

I tried this last week having printed off the recipe years ago.
    I put in slightly less cream and condensed milk so the one pack of gelatine was fine.
    Turned out really nice.
    Will try some of the other cheesecakes in the cooking club for comparison (This was actually my first homemade cheesecake)

earlytobed wrote: »
    I tried this last week having printed off the recipe years ago.
    I put in slightly less cream and condensed milk so the one pack of gelatine was fine.
    Turned out really nice.
    Will try some of the other cheesecakes in the cooking club for comparison (This was actually my first homemade cheesecake)

I’m delighted this turned out well! I still make this cheesecake. My favourite way is to leave out the Maltesers and use the spiced biscuits that come into Lidl at xmas as a base 😋 Basically Baileys need to collaborate with speculoos! It’s so good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭chooey

I made this for dessert at the weekend and it was amazing-the best cheesecake recipe I've ever made. Thanks for posting it!

Advertisement