Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym- where do I start?

Options
  • 06-03-2010 8:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I am thinking of joining the gym, but I don't know where to start. I haven't a clue what exercises to do and so on.

How long should I spend in the gym? should I start out at X minutes and gradually start spending longer?

What machines should I use (I don't even know their names!) or what exercises should I do?

What I want to try and focus on is getting fit and active. At the moment I don't do a lot of exercise and would class myself as unfit.

I would also like to tone my stomach and thighs (they're very flabby) and if I could lose some weight that would be great (My BMI is 24 so I'm bordering overweight!).

I am really enthusiastic about starting but I don't want to go in looking like an eejit and I don't know where to start :o I'd appreciate any advice. Cheers!

PS: also- is it true that eating protein before going to the gym helps burn more calories?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dcmu

Most decent Gyms will give you a run-through and design a beginner's program for you. If they don't offer, ask.

You can also find a lot of information by just reading the stickies above - just put a little time into it, and you'll have enough to get you started.

Advertisement