Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Marketing Course

Options
  • 05-03-2010 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Anyone attended or heard anything about the Diploma in digital and online marketing course with the Digital Marketing Institute? Was also looking at the one in the Fitzwilliam Insitute but the DMI appears a bit better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kickerr

Hi there
    If you forward me on some of the info or link and i can have a look for you. Im just finished an internet marketing course with a crowd in canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

Hi there,
    I just completed the digital marketing institute 5 day course, and found it to be brilliant, really well organised. Its pitched at marketing executive/ account executive level and above. All of the lecturers on the course are actively involved in the digital marketing industry - so they arent just there to plug their book/comapny etc. Each module is throughly covered and notes are given on each section. I've taken a similar (2 day) course in the Marketing Insitute, and it didnt even compare, the MII course was deadful in comparison, not up to the same standard in any shape or form.
    I also know someone involved with the fitzwilliam inst. course and the digital marketing institute course is far more relevant and comprehensive by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kickerr

Hi Starfish,

I was wondering if you would be interested in swapping notes from your course with notes i have of courses im doing now. Im studying 3 courses at the moment, web design, stockbroking investment and internet marketing. I can hardy keep up but im a hound for information these days. Let me know what you think.
    All the best,
    Steve.

I know people who have done both courses.

Very similar stuff. You tend to get out of these courses what you PUT into it.

If you're already working, then you may as well go and do the DMI one.

If you're a recent graduate looking to change fields, then go for Fitzwilliam as that's who they mainly target and they set you up with a work experience module which is an excellent way to get a foot in the door, graduates looking to acquire practical skills.

I also work with some of the lecturers on the DMI course daily, both courses are great but you get out of it what you put into it...remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I attended both courses. One in Fitz 12 weeks and the DMI bootcamp. The DMI course is hands down the better course. Far higher standard with the lecturers (Krishna De is like a Guru). Both courses have great and not so great lecturers.

Not to mention free lunch in the DMI (makes all the difference) ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheGooseLicker

What are the costs guys..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭TheGooseLicker

Just checked out prices... good lord...

ermmm... ne1 wanna swap notes? By swap I mean donate?:(

It's the accreditation among the industry thats important not the bloody notes.

You can learn everything on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

I recently read about a Digital Marketing postgraduate certificate starting this year in DCU. Obviously having a university back the course normally sorts any credential issues you may have, but then again this looks like the first year of the course so you may want to check. It does look good tho - part-time, with room for students with greater motivation to finish it early. Criteria seem a little narrow though -

"Candidates should: hold a recognised third level honours degree in Marketing or Business Studies, together with a minimum of three years work experience OR hold a recognised third level honours degree in a non-marketing or non-business discipline coupled with substantial experience in a senior marketing or marketing sub-discipline role OR possess an equivalent qualification combined with substantial experience in senior marketing or marketing sub-discipline role"

might do it myself in a few years

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=CDM&originating_school=50

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Michealloch

@Nuttlys,
    I have been looking into that DCU course. You are right about the entry being tough. Seems because it is first year they want to be very different from the existing courses and will only accept people with good experience of marketing.

It is properly accredited. Makes you wonder what the "Diploma" is worth in other places when this is only classed as a cert!

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/files/DCU_Graduate_Certificate_in_Digital_Marketing_Brochure.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Caoimh37

@Nuttlys,
    I have been looking into that DCU course. You are right about the entry being tough. Seems because it is first year they want to be very different from the existing courses and will only accept people with good experience of marketing.

It is properly accredited. Makes you wonder what the "Diploma" is worth in other places when this is only classed as a cert!

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/files/DCU_Graduate_Certificate_in_Digital_Marketing_Brochure.pdf

hey ...any idea of the cost of this course? had a quick look it didn't mention it?

thanks

Its not on the site, I emailed the course co-ordinator and was told it will be €3,500, hoping that might change since its still not on the site!!!!!

starfish12 wrote: »
    Its not on the site, I emailed the course co-ordinator and was told it will be €3,500, hoping that might change since its still not on the site!!!!!

Cool..cheers,

Did you see there is an info session in town today for the course

5pm – 7pm: Westin Hotel, Westmoreland Street, Dublin 2

with the programme chairs....thinking i might call in

starfish12 wrote: »

just back from the info meet sounds like a real winner, alot more comprehensive than the other Diploma's and courses out there, it's specifically industry focused and has been devised with this in mind

unfortunately I got told the price is €3,700:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 24hrhotels

I completed a digital marketing course with Fitzwilliam Institute last year and it was brilliant.

They had lecturers that were all working in the industry and many who have very successful websites. They had guest speakers from Tradedoubler, Statcounter, Google, Technology Lawyers and others who have digital agencies etc. I found it really well organised practical and informatitive.

I would recommend it with Fitzwilliam as they have been doing it for a few years now and have a very good handle on it.

24hrhotels wrote: »
    I completed a digital marketing course with Fitzwilliam Institute last year and it was brilliant.

They had lecturers that were all working in the industry and many who have very successful websites. They had guest speakers from Tradedoubler, Statcounter, Google, Technology Lawyers and others who have digital agencies etc. I found it really well organised practical and informatitive.

I would recommend it with Fitzwilliam as they have been doing it for a few years now and have a very good handle on it.

Didn't have any of those in my course in Fitzwilliam...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mimof

@nuttlys @michaelloch @caoimh37

I had a look at that course link for DCU and the entry requirements seem pretty over the top.

I am doing a part-time MSc in Digital Marketing at Manchester University (Manchester Business School) for the last 2 yrs (1 to go) and have an IT background, with NO marketing experience. Below is the link in case it is of any help (yes, the travelling is a pain but I book cheap Ryanair usually). There are a certain number of campus and 'elective modules' training days each year, then the rest is done remotely (we use Google Groups).

http://econsultancy.com/training/qualifications - closing date is 16th July for this years courses but if you are interested, drop them a line and they might be able to extend.

The course was created by eConsultancy in conjunction with Man. Uni (eConsultancy - independent Digital Marketing advice group / community).

For DCU to ask for a Marketing-related Degree or

substantial experience in a senior marketing or marketing sub-discipline role

is in my opinion unnecessary, especially when they also say....

The programme will commence with a “marketing bootcamp”,

the intention being to ensure that all entrants have a
    grounding or refresher in the fundamentals of marketing

After a fair bit of link-clicking, I found the fees (not good DCU - put these up front in the brochure, and practice what you teach about understanding 'customer needs'!). It seems to be €3700 - see http://www.dcu.ie/finance/fees/programme_costs_business-2010-2011.shtml though they also have a link to 'Other Fees' - http://www.dcu.ie/finance/fees/other_fees-2010-2011.shtml - and it seems some of these might also apply. As you say it's a 'Certificate' while DMI offer a 'Diploma' in 12 weeks part-time...no consistency in naming standards / qualification levels here. It seems DM and DM-related accreditation is pretty unregulated still!

I also know people who've done the DMI course and it's highly rated too, accessible and you can book it when it suits (not tied to academic year) as they repeat courses in various locations often.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nuttlys

@mimof

Thanks for you post and welcome to boards!

I'm sure DCU don't feel its over the top, otherwise they wouldn't offer the course. They've probably just found a niche of marketing executives/managers who feel pressure to understand a digital world and feel/need a short certificate course which will be recognised to progress in their career. Thats just my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mimof

@nuttlys thanks for the welcome to boards.ie!

What you say about the niche market may be true alright.

I think if they had less stringent entry requirements, it could be a lot more accessible to people who want to start or move into this area. From my own experience, you don't need to be a 'traditional' marketer first to understand the online side. In some ways, it helps not to have that background, as the thinking is quite different at times i.e. marketing online Vs offline.

It is really good to see Irish colleges offering these courses. I saw also that the DMI are now offering a 1 year post-grad, with similar fees but more flexible entry requirements
    http://digitalmarketinginstitute.ie/coursedetails/postgraduate-diploma-digital-marketing/

mimof wrote: »
    @nuttlys thanks for the welcome to boards.ie!

What you say about the niche market may be true alright.

I think if they had less stringent entry requirements, it could be a lot more accessible to people who want to start or move into this area. From my own experience, you don't need to be a 'traditional' marketer first to understand the online side. In some ways, it helps not to have that background, as the thinking is quite different at times i.e. marketing online Vs offline.

It is really good to see Irish colleges offering these courses. I saw also that the DMI are now offering a 1 year post-grad, with similar fees but more flexible entry requirements
    http://digitalmarketinginstitute.ie/coursedetails/postgraduate-diploma-digital-marketing/

Hey there,

Cheers for the info, nice to see there are options out there, although I would prefer to get the course over and done with say with the DMI, its also appealing to have the course accredited by a recognised university and think this is the first of its kind in the country and as you know yourself a Uni qualification may be seen as a bit more favourable than a private institutions

Are you finding your course interesting? glad you did it? what job prospects can you see done the line?

I'm really considering this as a career avenue

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lavelle86

Hey guys,

If you are still considering the Graduate Certificate in Digital Marketing Programme offered in DCU then you should register for the free online seminar about the course, presented by course chairman Donal Clancy.

This will give you a chance to get any questions you may have about
    the course answered by Mr Clancy and also help you learn more about
    the programme.

The live seminar takes place this Thursday 22nd July at 11:00AM.

You can register for the seminar at http://www.dcu.ie/dcubs/webinar.shtml.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Garyr1

Hey,

Slightly off the topic, we found this book great for our business, found it on amazon Digital Marketing in 2010. All our employees have read this. Still thinking of doing additional training also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

mimof wrote: »
    For DCU to ask for a Marketing-related Degree or

substantial experience in a senior marketing or marketing sub-discipline role

is in my opinion unnecessary, especially when they also say....

The programme will commence with a “marketing bootcamp”,

the intention being to ensure that all entrants have a
    grounding or refresher in the fundamentals of marketing

I don't think its unreasonable. I'm just finished 240 points of a 360 point Open University business degree, and while this is mostly quite general, you would end up spending about 1/5 of your time trawling the summarised versions of marketing textbooks (the summary is about 300! dread to think what the full version is). Plus you are expected to be able to handle case study analyses and small projects which include significant research into various areas of marketing.

A 40-hour 5 day course will probably just skim the surface of potential techniques and strategies for digitial marketing. They are hardly going to teach you all the elements of the marketing mix in a short 5 day course. I'd say the DCU course is professionally a better one if it ensures that most participants are already well versed in the fundamentals of marketing.

In other words, will the 5 day course cover this?

Basic marketing concepts
    Marketing strategy
    the marketing environment
    Buying behaviour (consumer and business)
    Segmenting markets, targeting and positioning
    Marketing research
    Products, services and branding
    Marketing channels and pricing
    Marketing communications

Chances are it will give you the basic concepts and then skip to digital forms of marketing communications. This might be, well, skipping a bit of useful skills and knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

nuttlys wrote: »
    I'm sure DCU don't feel its over the top, otherwise they wouldn't offer the course. They've probably just found a niche of marketing executives/managers who feel pressure to understand a digital world and feel/need a short certificate course which will be recognised to progress in their career. Thats just my guess.

Thats true.

Traditional marketing education stops short of web 2.0, its fairly weak on interactive digital forms of marketing and typical ways to implement this. This is fairly new, but especially useful to anybody who already has a solid background and is using DM as part of an overall strategy rather than just an add-on form of simple promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Donal Clancy

As Programme Director of the DCU Graduate Certificate in Digital Marketing, I would like to clarify the issue in relation to accreditation.

I have received a lot of queries over the past few weeks so realise that this is causing a great deal of confusion.

The National Qualifications Authority of Ireland is the body that manages the National Qualifications Framework in a manner that ensures that all accredited programmes are ‘Bologna Compliant’ and therefore recognised throughout the 47 signatory countries.

The range of Irish organisations empowered to make accredited awards is outlined on page 10 of the NQAI booklet http://www.nqai.ie/docs/publications/13.pdf. This includes the seven Irish Universities of which DCU is one.

The DCU Graduate Certificate in Digital Marketing has been accredited by Dublin City University by virtue of having gone through two thorough processes within the University known as validation and accreditation. To achieve accreditation for any programme in DCU the programme team must prepare extensive documentation which is examined in detail firstly by a validation committee and, if successful, subsequently by an accreditation panel which includes a range of experienced industry practitioners and academics from other universities.

The DCU Graduate Certificate in Digital Marketing was formally accredited by Academic Council on April 14th 2010. It is the only such postgraduate (Level 9) qualification in Ireland to date.

Donal I've read about the course with interest, and have filled in the application form - however I've just found out that the course is delivered on a friday - during working hours. Is there any alternative to this? Not sure if its worth my while submitting the application and the €45!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Donal Clancy

The friday requirement is for 12 weeks only. Some employers will help out with this time, giving days off in lieu of exam or study leave etc. Unpaid leave, annual leave etc.

You can also make a case that this forms part of your job, as you will be working on projects for your employer.

If it is still a non runner I am compiling a list of those who would prefer an evening delivery. If I get enough interest I will negotiate an alternative delivery with the University. PM me at donal.clancy@dcu.ie if you would like to be kept informed and I will stick you on the list.

I have no idea when this might be until I have approx 30 interested potentials, and I currently only have 4.
    regards,
    Donal

My employer certainly wont!!! might not bother with the application so. thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I am outing you as a DMI Troll!

Don't back seat mod, but I can guarantee that you are wrong.

• Advertisement

are you serious?!

Im actually someone who has a job that they are concerned about, who wants to take action to improve my skill set, but cant compromise my role in the company im in by taking a full day off work each week for 12 weeks, because, unfortunately, if it did come to redundancies, i know for a fact that other people in the org that didnt request this time off would be looked upon more favourably. another reason why i cant justify spending €45 on an application that may be a waste of time if I already know I cant make the lectures.

Our company has the policy that if you want to improve your skill set you do it on your own time. I'm sure im not alone in this.
    most institutions recognise this and cater to people who have to attend work, during normal working hours.

The arrogance of your statement is astounding, how dare you come onto this forum to talk about your own course, and then offend me when I ask a question about it?!

Advertisement