Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living alone - rent or buy??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tofu

Hi Singlegal! Have you found a place yet? I was in your exact situation a couple of years ago. Thankfully I didn't buy with my boyfriend as it would have been the height of the boom and we ended up splitting up. So I had to move out and find a place on my own. I've since moved again - renting on my own and am due to move again and will be renting on my own. So I have done the renting alone in Dublin and outside of Dublin. I am at that age as well and couldn't share! I have become the stereotype as I have now adopted a cat but I must say I am extremely happy!! Although I am now working back in Dublin I have decided to stay renting outside of Dublin as you can get more space. A spare bedroom, a pull out couch means friends and family can stay over.

Negotiate everything - you have nothing to lose. And keep an eye on the sales market - if you have a reasonable idea of what you want you can wait until it comes along at a price that's right for you. And I agree with others - you need to stress test your potential monthly mortgage commitment against changes in income, increases in interest rates, abolition of interest relief, property tax, management charges etc etc etc.

So hang steady - enjoy being single - there are lots and lots of +++ to being single!!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

shoegirl wrote: »
    If you've 50k to spare, the interest rates on that kind of fixed 1 year would be pretty reasonable. NIB are giving 3% for eSaver accounts right now if you don't make withdrawals. And likewise Permanent TSB are offering 3.35% on an 11 month account - would definitely help you if you were planning to buy later on.

Is 3.35% considered good now ????:eek:

Advertisement