Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or is...

Options
  • 01-03-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

After Hours becoming somewhat a news forum nowadays?

Many of the posters here won't know me but I'm quite a lurker alright.

It's just now anytime I come to AH for my daily laugh I get hit with threads such as "Chile gets hit by 8.8 earthquake" and "Tommy's Blanchardstown closes down"

If I wanted to know these I'd be going to the forums they suit, not here!

It's only become a recent thing in my opinion that all these news items are appearing one-by-one in AH.

Is it just me or do others feel this way also?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Its Just you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

just people linkin stories cos theyre too lazy to type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Fair enough. I was thinking that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Scarydoll

There's funny ones as well as the informative ones. It's a mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,641 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I love new people: they dont know how stuff works.

You'll have already discovered AH has a Mestrual Cycle: did you also know it goes through seasons? And moods?

True Story.

• Advertisement

scareydoll wrote: »
    There's funny ones as well as the informative ones. It's a mix.

I know this very well indeed. It just seemed to me they were in a fair enough ratio.

But now informative threads seem to be appearing quite a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Doyler92 wrote: »

It's only become a recent thing in my opinion that all these news items are appearing one-by-one in AH.

The thing is that in AH you could have the most serious, solemn topic imaginable, within 3 posts there would be someone making crappy puns and by the end of the first page the topic will inevitably have moved on to the weight issues of Mary Harney. No matter how erudite and serious the OP is, the lowest common denominator that is AH always seeps through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

It's just now anytime I come to AH for my daily laugh I get hit with threads such as "Chile gets hit by 8.8 earthquake" and "Tommy's Blanchardstown closes down"

Completely disagree.

Cullen resigns read it here
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0301/1224265372335.html

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Charco wrote: »
    The thing is that in AH you could have the most serious, solemn topic imaginable, within 3 posts there would be someone making crappy puns and by the end of the first page the topic will inevitably have reached the weight issues of Mary Harney. No matter how erudite and serious the OP is, the lowest common denominator that is AH always seeps through.

We could have an award system whereby the biggest dumb assed thread spoiler gets voted on each day. We could call it the daily male award.

IMO it's a much bigger forum now than it has been in the past. More posts, more viewers, more opinions. The spectrum widens. And yes that does include opinions that are disagreeable or just dumb and pointless but there's a wider POV on display. It doesn't mean that each thread is doomed to circle the drain. Just some spectacular idiocy will be on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Personally there's too many threads complaining about other threads for my liking. ;)

What exactly is AH for - to quote the charter ...
    What is After Hours?
    After hours consists of the type of chat you have with your mates after a few pints at a lock in. You might disagree and argue your side, but if you get rowdy, the barmans gonna kick you out, so keep it civil. Typical subjects are anything thats in the days news, a funny story you heard, and terrible jokes and puns. Sometimes the debate can turn serious, but remember, the barmans watching, and you're gonna wanna come back, so don't get so loud that the neighbours kick up **** and ye're all barred.

The wide variety if threads on the days news is quite appropriate. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

What do you possibly hope to achieve from this thread? And I wouldn't consider "Tommy's Blanchardstown closes down" as news. Maybe if I lived in Blanchardstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

Charco wrote: »
    The thing is that in AH you could have the most serious, solemn topic imaginable, within 3 posts there would be someone making crappy puns and by the end of the first page the topic will inevitably have moved on to the weight issues of Mary Harney. No matter how erudite and serious the OP is, the lowest common denominator that is AH always seeps through.

who are you calling a low common dominator!!!!!!

m@cc@ wrote: »
    What do you possibly hope to achieve from this thread? And I wouldn't consider "Tommy's Blanchardstown closes down" as news. Maybe if I lived in Blanchardstown.

I'm not trying to achieve anything here, just seeing if anybody agrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

m@cc@ wrote: »
    What do you possibly hope to achieve from this thread?

A big load of thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Elenxor wrote: »
    who are you calling a low common dominator!!!!!!

Well, no-one in particular. You see AH has its own magical force about it so that even if Salman Rushdie were to post on here, he would be unable to resist making Yore Ma jokes or complaining about how the Romas are ruining the country.

But now informative threads seem to be appearing quite a bit more.

That's very true. It's becoming far too ****in' high-brow these days. I don't post in AH to have my brain stimulated. I want more threads about awesome t-shirts and grinds teachers who fancy their students. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Hear, hear! I propose we move all the earthquake threads to the Earthquake forum.

penguin88 wrote: »
    Hear, hear! I propose we move all the earthquake threads to the Earthquake forum.

No, not ALL earthquake threads. Earthquake threads for some, miniature American flags for others.

I'm only posting here because I'm locked out of my twitter account for tweeting about my abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Its not you. its me
    fyp.

• Advertisement

I'm only posting here because I'm locked out of my twitter account for tweeting about my abortion.

So your account has gone down the twitter?

I'm sorry...........:o:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

gewan doyler, voicing ur opinions and whatnot!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I dont know, it's news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

After Hours becomes 'News Forum'

Full story here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055842735

What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Mmmmmm, recursion ..... OK, sarcasm too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I like the ones that are posted for discussion reasons.
    As long as we are not completely over run and become just a news site, I hope such things give us something to chat about in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

What exactly is the 'topic' of AH anyway? I've always seen it as a random list of threads that don't really fit anywhere else or wouldn't be tolerated in other forums.

a random list of threads that don't really fit anywhere else or wouldn't be tolerated in other forums.

The word "threads" in this sentence is interchangeable with the word "posters".

What exactly is the 'topic' of AH anyway?

'All things non-work related.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You can tell it's turning into a news site when someone comes up with a blatantly true off the wall story, and some people actually have the gall to ask for a link to prove it:mad:

Once the mutual trust starts getting eaten away, it's a downhill journey into the chasm of despair.:(

Advertisement