Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UL Students against UL RAG Week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

I totally agree with PeakOutput on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

OP I understand where you are coming from, really I do, but ......

I am a serious student as well, as most of the people who post on this forum are [CSON excluded perhaps ;):p - kidding], but I know how to go out and drink up to 6 days a week, and still make all my lectures. Dont patronise people here by saying that you cant have a balance or that you cant drink and make lectures and be studious.

I have been in UL 5 years now, and each year this debate comes up. There are always people who have witnessed drunked debauchery during what used to be called RAG week. This is, as has been mentioned by others already, usually caused by the minority who dont have a fecking clue. They drink themselves stupid, and cannot remember anything that happened. If thats what they want to do, then, imo, let them at it! Thats their choice, and the rest of us can just ignore them, or let it annoy you, the latter of which appears to apply to you.

Just get on with things. You can still enjoy Charity Week, and be a good student, and you do appear to have morals, so stick to them, but dont boycott Charity Week entirely. Get involved with the Union and volunteer to collect money or something, then you may be less likely to see the unsightly things you were reluctant to speak of in your first post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 streetsweeper

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thats it Ive had it.

I was in the library and a guy told me that he and his friends were going out to the slodge in rag week in nappies cause "if you haven't shat yourself you haven't had a good night."

This is ******* disgusting..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thats it Ive had it.

I was in the library and I guy told me that he and his friends were going out to the slodge in rag week in nappies cause "if you haven't shat yourself you haven't had a good night."

Another girl told me that her and her friends are having a "gatch-athon" and seeing (there words not mine) " who can take the most loads in one night with out it all spillin' out"..

now i just think your trolling g'luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Another girl told me that her and her friends are having a "gatch-athon" and seeing (there words not mine) " who can take the most loads in one night with out getting pure sore or letting it spill out"..

Well it sounds to me like you need to get new friends. Especially if these friends are the ones who didn't stop you from drinking the amount you did in 1st year.

• Advertisement

PeakOutput wrote: »
    now i just think your trolling g'luck

people wanted to know what instances I was referring to. and when I tell people I get accused of "trolling" whatever that means

people wanted to know what instances I was referring to. and when I tell people I get accused of "trolling" whatever that means

because i dont believe you believe they were serious

and you said you saw debauched things not that you heard people talking **** about debauched instances which is what actually happened according to your own post

edit; and now you have deleted the second part of your post due to 'spelling'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pholman

Hi can i just touch on something from streetsweeper, i am irish and black in ul and certainly notice an increase in unpleasant "events" during rag week. the odd night out i might get a snide remark....but during rag week when alot of drink is consumed the levels of abuse in my eperience, certainly go up. Last year while kicking football with a few mates, i had a group of idiots drive past and throw a bananna at me screaming "juggle that...not the football monkey". Furthermore from talking to other non white students, reporting the matter to the s.u. is useless as one was told he was being too "sensitive" by an official...

because i dont believe you believe they were serious

and you said you saw debauched things not that you heard people talking **** about debauched instances which is what actually happened according to your own post

edit; and now you have deleted the second part of your post due to 'spelling'

spumes post about students calling sleeping bags lush bags. is that evidence enough for you numbskull?

heres a story for you- everyone is claiming that people are calling this years event "CHARITY WEEK" well I've heard students referring to this years event as "DRINK TILL WE GET SICK WEEK", "VODKA WEEK" and "LUSHAPOLOOZA"

spumes post about students calling sleeping bags lush bags. is that evidence enough for you numbskull?

evidence of what exactly? students talking ****e and you taking it overboard? yes
    heres a story for you- everyone is claiming that people are calling this years event "CHARITY WEEK" well I've heard students referring to this years event as "DRINK TILL WE GET SICK WEEK", "VODKA WEEK" and "LUSHAPOLOOZA"

no thats not what people are claiming the su are not running a 'rag week' they are running a 'charity week' people can call it whatever they want its going to take the su more than a semester to rebrand rag week.

again how does anyone elses drinking during this week affect you? leaving out illegal behaviour because no1 agrees with that. you can still go to lectures and go to the library and study in your room.

• Advertisement

pholman wrote: »
    Hi can i just touch on something from streetsweeper, i am irish and black in ul and certainly notice an increase in unpleasant "events" during rag week. the odd night out i might get a snide remark....but during rag week when alot of drink is consumed the levels of abuse in my eperience, certainly go up. Last year while kicking football with a few mates, i had a group of idiots drive past and throw a bananna at me screaming "juggle that...not the football monkey". Furthermore from talking to other non white students, reporting the matter to the s.u. is useless as one was told he was being too "sensitive" by an official...

try and defend THIS all of you who seem to think that drinking in excess is acceptable. i hope your all proud of yourselves. why dont we just change the name to "racist week" altogether?? I dont like the right wing direction that "charity week" seems to be going in.

try and defend THIS all of you who seem to think that drinking in excess is acceptable. i hope your all proud of yourselves. why dont we just change the name to "racist week" altogether?? I dont like the right wing direction that "charity week" seems to be going in.

it seems that somebodies "PEAK OUTPUT" isn't loud enough to drown out the voices of the oppressed and the undermined who are only asking for others peoples freedoms not to enfringe on their own personal freedoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭entropic

Hahaha EPIC Thread,

But seriously streetsweeper does bring up valid points that should be addressed, this Charity Week (RAG Week to the rest of the student population no matter what you thing SU) I will go into lectures and be forced to sit there with one other person who was sober the night before. Then for the rest of the day we will have to put up with the god awful smell of last nights escapades that I can only assume ended in some form of giant garbage hold.

Then of course will come the back lash, for the next few weeks we will here about how yet again a few students have marred the name of the college with some drunken antics like setting some cars on fire or waling into families houses at 5am and scaring the sh*t out of children. Maybe this year if there are events similar to last years then it's time to cancel RAG week for a year to try and teach students that their actions have consequences(you'd think they would know that already). Maybe then there could be talk of a Charity or RAG week where we wont fear the **** who ruin the week for everyone else.

i hope your all proud of yourselves.

im very proud of myself individuals racism has nothing to do with me and it is indefensible we have already gone over this
    it seems that somebodies "PEAK OUTPUT" isn't loud enough to drown out the voices of the oppressed and the undermined who are only asking for others peoples freedoms not to enfringe on their own personal freedoms.

you have absolutely got to be taking the piss im not trying to drown out anyone, not even you im jsut disagreeing with your over the top reaction and broad tarring brush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

It says a lot about someone when they aren't capable of making an argument without resorting to name calling. spume also stated he'd have a phone number for campus security in case people like that show up, pretty responsible behaviour in my book.

Who cares what other people are calling it. You claim you that you won't be bullied into following a "status quo" for Charity/Rag week (whatever it's called) so why should it bother you what other people are calling it. If you want to go to your lectures, tutorials and labs and not drink during rag week then go ahead and do that. If you feel like going out for a few pints then go and do that. If you see something you don't like then report it to the proper people e.g. police, SU etc.

To be blunt there's **** all point complaining about it on here because you're pretty much preaching to the converted.

entropic wrote: »
    I will go into lectures and be forced to sit there with one other person who was sober the night before.

seriously i dont get this attitude who,exactly now i want a name, is forcing you to do anything you dont want to do.
    teach students that their actions have consequences

thats the gardais jobs though any student doing anything like you described should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, no1 is arguing otherwise.

Nobody here has defended drinking in excess! I think you need to calm down, take a breath, count to ten or something, before you start replying in haste each time!

The ridiculous actions of some fool who made racist comments does not give you the right to say we are all racists!!

You have made some good and valid points, but you are quickly making people lose interest in what you have to say, as the validity of what you say appears to be exaggerated each time you post.

And as for those who are forced to go to classes and sit beside the person who is hungover... you can move you know!! Sit away from the person. At least that person is trying to enjoy themselves and also make as much college as they can. This type of behaviour happens everyday of the week, and is not confined to RAG week, so get real here.

seriously i dont get this attitude who,exactly now i want a name, is forcing you to do anything you dont want to do.

MS4404 Lecturer who insists on holding important lectures during RAG week. By all means I would love for you to go to my lecturers who have 5-15% for attendance and have habits for giving tips out during RAG week and get them to stop.
    While your at it would you mind getting my Labs rescheduled too because thats always been a bitch at least in lectures you get out after an hours and can get some fresh air. Labs I'm stuck in for 3-4 hours.
    thats the gardais jobs though any student doing anything like you described should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, no1 is arguing otherwise.

Well then I would like to see them prosecuted but that doesn't seem to happen, every year there are new stories about how people who wreck the place get slaps on the wrist and have to write a most insincere apology note. There is a knowledge around that if you get caught doing anything untoward during RAG week that a quick I'm sorry and I won't do it again Garda will get you off the hook.

I think maybe if the su took some of complaints my friends have made onboard people might be made aware that racism is unacceptable, despite it being rag week and as one member of the su was heard saying "only a bit of craic" . well if thats what students are calling craic 4 rag week i think il have to agree with streetsweeper and disagree with output and say i wish the hell of rag week gets cancelled...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I think maybe if the su took some of complaints my friends have made onboard people might be made aware that racism is unacceptable, despite it being rag week and as one member of the su was heard saying "only a bit of craic" . well if thats what students are calling craic 4 rag week i think il have to agree with streetsweeper and disagree with output and say i wish the hell of rag week gets cancelled...

I don't think everyone realises that the officers in the Union change pretty much every year. If someone made a complaint last year and it wasn't dealt with, it doesn't mean the same thing will happen this year. People change and people have different attitudes. That said, I refuse to believe that such a serious issue was dealt with so dismissively.

• Advertisement

If your complaint is against the SU, then make an official complaint to someone about it, or ask the person in the Union to come and make an apology, because imo, it is unacceptable if somebody in the Union has made the comment "only a bit of craic" in relation to racist remarks!!
    Edit: Obviously if it was someone from last year, they cant be held accountable, but it shouldnt have happened.

However, the fact that it was made during RAG week doesnt mean that Charity [RAG] week should be cancelled. It could easily have happened another time of the year, and would you be calling for the Stables/Scholars to be closed if it happened at a different time of the year??

MS4404 Lecturer who insists on holding important lectures during RAG week. By all means I would love for you to go to my lecturers who have 5-15% for attendance and have habits for giving tips out during RAG week and get them to stop.
    While your at it would you mind getting my Labs rescheduled too because thats always been a bitch at least in lectures you get out after an hours and can get some fresh air. Labs I'm stuck in for 3-4 hours.

unless something has changed i believe you cant get penalised in any way for not attending during rag week. i could be wrong though

your post sounded like you had a problem with other people not going

ergonomics wrote: »
    I don't think everyone realises that the officers in the Union change pretty much every year. If someone made a complaint last year and it wasn't dealt with, it doesn't mean the same thing will happen this year. People change and people have different attitudes. That said, I refuse to believe that such a serious issue was dealt with so dismissively.

I think you know exactly who it was and I would say if this hadn't just been brought up here the person in his position this year would probably say the exact same thing if this complaint was brought to him.
    unless something has changed i believe you cant get penalised in any way for not attending during rag week. i could be wrong though

your post sounded like you had a problem with other people not going

Yup I can, there is a mandatory 5% for attendance in the Physics department in each of the 6 modules we take. Most of them its 10% of the final grade is for attendance of Lectures, Tutorials and Labs.

its funny the way PEAK OUTPUT ignores the minorities in UL, if only he'd take his head out of the ULSU's arse for two minutes he might see that theres much bigger problems them him throwing a hissy fit cause he wants to take a load of drugs on rag week (cocaine etc.). oh yeah sorry man i forgot "Its only a bit of craic"- according to your bosum buddies in the ULSU.

ergonomics wrote: »
    YOU REFUSE TO BELIEVE....? oh well then it must not have happened, oh theres no way in hell that one of the su is a complete muppet...it seems to me your living in the dark ages..we should all be equals. and does it make it alright if the staff change every year?? god its small minded racist minority like you that tend to ruin things for more enlightened people

I think you know exactly who it was and I would say if this hadn't just been brought up here the person in his position this year would probably say the exact same thing if this complaint was brought to him.

Yup I can, there is a mandatory 5% for attendance in the Physics department in each of the 6 modules we take. Most of them its 10% of the final grade is for attendance of Lectures, Tutorials and Labs.

ye but this isnt exclusive for rag week its the same every week so whats the problem? you choose to go or not just like any other week just like everyone else in your class does. if losing the percentage to go out is worth it to you is up to you if its worth it to everyone else is there business your still not being forced to do anything

its funny the way PEAK OUTPUT ignores the minorities in UL, if only he take his heard out of the ULSU's arse for two minutes he might see that theres much bigger problems them him throwing a hissy fit cause he wants to take a load of drugs on rag week. oh yeah sorry man i forgot "Its only a bit of craic"- according to your bosum buddies in the ULSU.

im the one throwing a hissy fit? really?:p you kidder you

how have i forgotten about the minorities?i said its unacceptable. your the one being prejudice here making judgements about me when you dont know me at all. i even helped you out by saying im taking it handy this semester but you still like to jump to your conclusions about peoples lives when they disagree with as if to justify your complete ignorance to their point of view

also besides clubs and socs im far from the biggest fan of the su

and does it make it alright if the staff change every year??

no it dosnt it jsut means that the su last year is not the su this year and maybe this years officers have more integrity and will take the issue more seriously if it happens again

rmacm wrote: »
    It says a lot about someone when they aren't capable of making an argument without resorting to name calling. spume also stated he'd have a phone number for campus security in case people like that show up, pretty responsible behaviour in my book.

Who cares what other people are calling it. You claim you that you won't be bullied into following a "status quo" for Charity/Rag week (whatever it's called) so why should it bother you what other people are calling it. If you want to go to your lectures, tutorials and labs and not drink during rag week then go ahead and do that. If you feel like going out for a few pints then go and do that. If you see something you don't like then report it to the proper people e.g. police, SU etc.

To be blunt there's **** all point complaining about it on here because you're pretty much preaching to the converted.

Being from Dublin you mightn't be aware about the way pple talk down here. Lush is a local name for drink.

Rag week is a week where the UL (thats university of limerick) try to raise money for charity.

numbskull is a harmless enough phrase, but it seems to me that you need to get off your high horse and stop faking outrage when your the one who resorted to using an x-rated word.

Dont mean to be patronising but the way we speak down here is different phrasologies then you use in Dublin this may have been the reason you misinterpreted my post.

No hassle man, all opinions are welcome!

• Advertisement

Being from Dublin you mightn't be aware about the way pple talk down here. Lush is a local name for drink.

Rag week is a week where the UL (thats university of limerick) try to raise money for charity.

numbskull is a harmless enough phrase, but it seems to me that you need to get off your high horse up in "the big schmoke".

Dont mean to be patronising but the way we speak down here is different phrasologies then you use in Dublin this may have been the reason you misinterpreted my post.

No hassle man, all opinions are welcome!

Hey noob!! RMACM went to UL for 4 years, and is an Alumni after graduating 2 years ago, get your facts straight before getting all smart and cocky around here.

Oh and btw, he's not from Dublin, he just works there now. Just an FYI :rolleyes:

Advertisement