Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCI Tallaght cinema to close

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

3DataModem wrote: »
    Does this mean anything for the UCI in Coolock?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭SteM

There's a sign up on this place now saying it is reopening as an IMC cinema. Didn't see a date though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

SteM wrote: »
    There's a sign up on this place now saying it is reopening as an IMC cinema. Didn't see a date though.
    Not a Pennys then?

Not a Pennys then?

Not in that location anyway. From what i've been told they looked at it and felt it wasn't suitable.

Not in that location anyway. From what i've been told they looked at it and felt it wasn't suitable.
    This begs the question why the Square Mgmt didn't renew the contract with UCI forcing it to close only to have another cinema open in the same spot...

UCI have been there since the place opened. Perhaps the Square upped their rent by to much? Maybe the SQ management felt they could get higher paying tenants?

Not to sure to be honest but a cinema is needed there imo, much happier to have one go in than a Pennys.

UCI have been there since the place opened. Perhaps the Square upped their rent by to much? Maybe the SQ management felt they could get higher paying tenants?

Not to sure to be honest but a cinema is needed there imo, much happier to have one go in than a Pennys.
    The official line was that the Square decided not to renew the contract. Total bs obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nemo90

Hey.

Myself and friends worked in UCI tallaght wen it closed etc, just wondering, does anyone know when and how to apply for a job to work in the new cinema in the square or somewhere i could find out?? would appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Advertkriz

nemo90 wrote: »
    Hey.

Myself and friends worked in UCI tallaght wen it closed etc, just wondering, does anyone know when and how to apply for a job to work in the new cinema in the square or somewhere i could find out?? would appreciate it.

I would also like to know how to apply.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

unreggd wrote: »
    Its bullsh;t

I'd say the square hiked the rent up to a price they defo couldnt afford to get them out, say the same happened with Zavvi

Er, the entire Zavvi chain accross the UK and Ireland went into liquidation. Nothing to do with the Square.
    There was issue with the name as there's an Odeon bar but the truth was probably closer to the fact that no one wanted to invest in it ie. the owners.

You're probably right re the latter. The former may be tied up to when Ward Anderson took over Odeon's assets in Ireland in the early 1980s.

EEL seem to be milking the cross-promotion opportunities of the UCI cinemas for all its worth, I see Leisureplex and TFI Friday adverts every time I am there.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/0708/1224274266559.html

Butler brothers' company in profit

CAROLINE MADDEN

A PROPERTY company owned by Colum and Ciaran Butler, the brothers behind the Leisureplex chain, had built up an accumulated profit of just over €683,000 at the end of July 2009.

They also bought three Irish cinemas in the UCI chain in September 2006 through their company Entertainment Enterprises.

The chain’s Tallaght cinema was later bought by developer and solicitor Noel Smyth as part of his planned redevelopment of the Square shopping centre.

However, rival developer Liam Carroll subsequently sued Colum Butler following a dispute over the sale of the cinema.

Advertisement