Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoulder Exercises

Options
  • 28-02-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭

I'm just after getting back into lifting after two months off and am steadily regaining the strength that I had before I stopped. Generally my program consisted of compound lifts such as DL, BP, Squat, Pull-ups, Bent Over Row and Shoulder Press.

However, I was looking at that website Nate-IRL posted (exrec?) and it pointed out that the seated shoulder press targeted the anterior deltoid which seems to be a considerably smaller muscle than the lateral deltoid, which would be targeted by the upright row for instance. I was wondering should I switch to the upright row and would that lead to strength/size gains in the shoulder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'm just after getting back into lifting after two months off and am steadily regaining the strength that I had before I stopped. Generally my program consisted of compound lifts such as DL, BP, Squat, Pull-ups, Bent Over Row and Shoulder Press.

However, I was looking at that website Nate-IRL posted (exrec?) and it pointed out that the seated shoulder press targeted the anterior deltoid which seems to be a considerably smaller muscle than the lateral deltoid, which would be targeted by the upright row for instance. I was wondering should I switch to the upright row and would that lead to strength/size gains in the shoulder?
    just do a standing press with barbell or dumbbells - keep it simple and forget about 'targeting' - just focus on getting stronger.

When you can do a standing press (jerk, push, split) with your own body weight you might want to look at 'targeting' not before

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Transform wrote: »
    just do a standing press with barbell or dumbbells - keep it simple and forget about 'targeting' - just focus on getting stronger.

When you can do a standing press (jerk, push, split) with your own body weight you might want to look at 'targeting' not before

Any reason you recommend a press with a jerk over the military press:

Just curious of the differences.

I dont i said pick one and do it and then change it up when working on it if you feel like -form by the guy in the video is not great also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Transform wrote: »
    I dont i said pick one and do it and then change it up when working on it if you feel like -form by the guy in the video is not great also

with a 150kg clean and jerk i doubt he cares what his press looks like :pac::pac::pac:

come on man that pressing video was taken almost 3 years ago for that guy!!!

I would imagine he can press a good bit more than 80kg now what ever method

you guys get the point - get the basics right and the specifics can follow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Websters

i hate shoulders so much. i always injure myself and end up being out of upper body waiting to recover. Im gonna consider hitting it lightly tomorrow but it pisses me off so much. stay the hell away from pressing on machines. free weight only and dont worry about what the weight is. good strict form and the weight will follow. there's no sense at all in giving yourself and injury like i keep doing, you end up way worse off and with **** shoulders :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Websters wrote: »
    i hate shoulders so much. i always injure myself and end up being out of upper body waiting to recover. Im gonna consider hitting it lightly tomorrow but it pisses me off so much. stay the hell away from pressing on machines. free weight only and dont worry about what the weight is. good strict form and the weight will follow. there's no sense at all in giving yourself and injury like i keep doing, you end up way worse off and with **** shoulders :(

Different strokes for different folks, I can only shoulder press from a machine as pressing free weights wrecks me!.

Websters wrote: »
    if you are getting shoulder issues you might need to look at shoulder flexibility, foam rolling and shoulder rehab prehab exercises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

Shoulder dislocates might help. :/

Its where you use a long stick (of some sort) with wide grip and move it from infront of you to behind you travelling over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

You should be doing stuff like scap push-ups - also take a read of this article:

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/shoulder_savers_part_i

Hope it helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Thanks lads.

Advertisement