Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 + UPC Cisco EPC2425 + My Book World media server problem

Options
  • 26-02-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Strange problem with my PS3 not detecting the media server from the My Book World NAS drive. When the PS3 is set to use wireless, it cannot see the media server. But when it is wired to the UPC router it picks it up fine.

And yet wireless seems to work fine for everything else. I can even use the PS3 internet browser and point it to the IP address of the media server (port 9000) and open the videos that way. But its not anywhere near as slick as having the media appear on the Video option of the PS3 XMB.

Any ideas why wired is fine, but with wireless the PS3 does not pick up the media server, and yet can still play the videos through the web browser?
    If anyone has a PS3, UPC Cisco router, and My Book World working together over wireless, I'd particularly love to hear from you!

The setup is:
    My Book World NAS drive (built in TwonkyMedia Server) wired to UPC Cisco router.
    UPnP is enabled on router.
    PS3 NAT type is 2.
    UPnP shows as "available" on PS3.
    I've tried forwarding port 9000 to the PS3 address but makes no difference.
    No encryption used on the wireless network.
    Router firewall is disabled.
    Wireless signal is 100% (PS3 is right beside router).
    Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 for everything - router, media server, and PS3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Damien360

You should probably ask this over at the game/console/playstation forum. I use Tversity and Windows Media server without a hitch with the PS3 with the same router. All wireless. No settings changed. Just had to enable the media server function on the PS3 and hey presto it worked. The only thing out of the ordinary is a fixed IP set on the PS3, and that is'nt that out of the ordinary. UPnp enabled etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bren4q

My hunch was that it was a router problem so I tried here first. I'll give the console forum a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Had the same problem. So i downloaded http://www.vuze.com/ and this has a dedicated ps3 server built in as well as being a torrent downloader. its excellent as well as very easily just a matter of dragging and dropping files and my ps3 pick it up through the wireless network i'm with upc and have the same modem.

more info: http://forum.vuze.com/message.jspa?messageID=164890

Any q's just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bren4q

Thanks for the pointer. Although is Vuze a PC-based media server?
    The setup I'm aiming for is one without the need to have a PC powered on. The MyBookWorld NAS drive has a small Twonky Media Server built in, so any music and video files that are dropped into the shared folders, will automatically be available to any media players on the network. Its a nice quiet (and power efficient) solution if I can leave the PC turned off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 airdd

Having the same problem with this crappy Cisco router. It seems like it will happily stream stuff via UPNP over wired connections, but it won't allow a wireless receiver (such as an internet radio or XBox) connect to a wired UPNP server (like my Synology NAS). Have a PS3 connected via powerline ethernet and it can see the NAS fine.

Anyone have any ideas? Tried putting the Cisco in bridging mode and have a Linksys WRT54G do the routing. Worked beautifully for internet/streaming etc but the bloody UPC phone service stops working when you put the router into bridging mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

we're discussing the exact same problem here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055907570

long story short - the cisco router doesn't route multicasts from wired to wireless ethernet, so no UPnP (which is a multicast)

Tell UPC - get Cisco to switch on the functionality

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

Hi all ive identified this as being my issues as well.
    My NetgearStora is only shared from the cisco router to the lan connections not the wireless devices. I think after talking to UPC this is a multicast issue where its not present in the cisco upc crap router.
    UPC offered solution to upgrade to 100 meg line but cant afford that and the router with 100 meg supports multicast.
    Question:
    Does anyone know a suitable router/Modem for upc (coaxial) ussage that has multicasting on it.
    thank you for any suggestions.

You're stuck with UPC supplied routers or modems - it's not like with ADSL where you can bring your own.

Another option would be to get te Scientific Atlanta modem from UPC which is a simpler device, and get your own wifi router-I requested this when I signed upfor UPC and media streaming works perfectly, as it's only through my own router

On second thoughts, get them to just send the router that allegedly support LAN wired/wifi multicast passing on the 100 meg package- but keep your present package. It's chancer like behaviour to try sell you an expensive service to solve a router problem

On this thread and others it says you are stuck with there routers.
    I rang upc last friday and explained i needed a router with multicasting so they said I casn get my own and gave me a number for when i wanted to configure it. So presume i can change it and am not stuck.
    But i am going to do the other option people suggest with a different subnet and wireless disabled on the cicsco router.
    Thanks for the input though
    P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Sorry for resurrecting thsi thread but I am having a problem with my ps3.
    I can use ps3 media server no problem with my wireless signal (apart from the signal dropping after every hour or so).
    I have 2 homeplugs 200mbps and decided to hook them up.
    One connected to the router (epc2425) and the other to the ps3.
    When I setup the wired connection on the ps3 it seems fine but the ps3 media server doesnt find the ps2 when using wired ethernet.
    It seems to be connected but not getting internet access?
    Anyone any ideas?
    Thanks
    Sham.

ps I am using a mac as my main computer if that helps.

hi bren4q,
    the problem I found with the cisco wireless router was that the hard wired nas were picked up by hard wired ps3 xbox but wireless connected devices could not find it.
    its a older router and doesnt share out nas to wireless connected devices like xbox / ps3 (only if they are hardwired).
    I fixed this by gettting a cheap wireless router. hard wiring the new router one to cisco one. then turning the wireless off on cisco so its just a cable router now otherone takes care of the your home wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

pearsefitz wrote: »
    hi bren4q,
    the problem I found with the cisco wireless router was that the hard wired nas were picked up by hard wired ps3 xbox but wireless connected devices could not find it.
    its a older router and doesnt share out nas to wireless connected devices like xbox / ps3 (only if they are hardwired).
    I fixed this by gettting a cheap wireless router. hard wiring the new router one to cisco one. then turning the wireless off on cisco so its just a cable router now otherone takes care of the your home wireless

Hi,

Sorry to maybe resurrect an old thread but Ive done so much reading and and still dont know if the PS3 can stream media from PC/Laptop via Cisco EPC 2425. It seems that some people have got it to work and some have not.

My set up is:

On Laptop I have 3 streming programmes and cant get them to work. They r Tversity, Windows & PS3 Media Server.

The laptop is connected wirelessly to Cisco Router EPC 2425

PS3 is connected by Ethernet Cable to Router.

PS3 settings r turned on to pick up media streamers.
    Router settings r set 4 Pnup enabled.

But my PS3 cannot find Tversity or PS3 Media Server on my laptop.

Can anyone tell me whether or not it is possible to get this to work and if so what am I doing wrong please?

Thank you

Iba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Don't drag up old threads. There is a mega thread for all 2425 modem issues and the answer you want is in there. You cannot stream from wired to wireless interface on that modem, so it's not going to work,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement