Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 not finding media server on UPC wireless

Options
  • 10-05-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    I'm after running into a bit of a problem since I changed over to UPC broadband with a PS3 which cannot recognise/discover the media server through a wireless connection.

I use Tversity to stream all my media to other devices on the network. This used to work flawlessly when I was with my previous ISP (TalkTalk).

I have a different PS3 already on the network which connects to the media server no problem. But the wireless PS3 cant do it through wireless. But the problem PS3 is connecting to the internet as online games and downloads are working.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how I can fix this?
    I originally had static ip/port forwarding set up on my previous router which might be the reason why it cannot connect since I got my new router. But I've completely forgotten how to set this up. Is this needed? Any good places to find out how to do it?

I'm using the router that UPC supplied me with i think it's the UPC Cisco EPC2425

I dont really like using the ps3mediaserver by the way, before it's suggested. Sorry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I SUSPECT this is because cisco routers typically have multicast disabled - is there anywhere you can enable something to do with "multicast"?

With regards to routing the ps3 outwards - just make sure the modem has UPnP enabled, and you should be fine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Not too sure on the multicast thing you suggested. Been in checking the settings on the router and Upnp is enabled. I tried disabling the firewall on the router and didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Not too sure on the multicast thing you suggested. Been in checking the settings on the router and Upnp is enabled. I tried disabling the firewall on the router and didn't work.

firewall won't make any difference - it is between the wan (internet) and in the internal network. The problem you're experiencing is on the internal side, between the wired network & the wireless network.

There was discussiona bout multicast problems with the cisco modem on: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62796755

Also have a look here: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:1T1MYyh0wZgJ:sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php%3Fp_faqid%3D42+multicast+Cisco+EPC2425&cd=17&hl=en&ct=clnk

It's a product that relies on the use of multicasts - and it is noted that there are probs with the Cisco, and wireless clients...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Sorry to bump, but did anyone find a solution? Does wireless to wireless work?

Nope. I've yet to find a solution to this problem. In fact, I've stopped trying. Just ran an Ethernet cable down the stairs. Bit frustrating that it cant be done via wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

I had the exact same problem, could not access Media Server with PS3 or Xbox360 when connected to the EPC2425 over wireless. The media server was connected over ethernet. Could not get it working. I can only assume the EPC2425 will not switch UPnP packets between the wired and wireless interfaces, as the PS3 picked up the media server that was running on my wireless laptop.

So in short, you must use the same medium for the client as you do for the media server, no way around it. The EPC2425 is a piece of ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭-=al=-

i could never get it to work wireless with my xbox wireless either, never found a solution to the problem, so hopefully getting a new router may solve it, worked fine wired but never wirelessly, kinda annoying, im pretty sure its the router thats the cause of the scenario though

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

Bump..

Just got UPC 30mb today.Same problem Xbox360 cant see tversity on the PC anymore :(

Anyone get a fix for it?

Are you using a wireless signal to connect the Xbox360 to the network. Because, if you are, then that will be the reason. I've yet to come across a fix for the fairly crappy router that UPC supply you with to allow you to use Tversity over wireless. It gets you onto the internet, and that's just about it really.

I use an ethernet cable to connect my PC to my router to my PS3. Should work ok for the Xbox 360 too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The likely solution is to install your own router, and switch the UPC modem/router into Bridge mode. A standard Netgear or Linksys router will have no problem with switching uPNP packets. The problem lies with the Cisco POS that UPC supplies, so just don't use that as a router.

• Advertisement

I heard that it fecks up the wireless phones if you turn it into bridge mode and use another modem. Not sure. Haven't tried it and amn't really gonna bother to be honest. But thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Im ordering UPC today.
    What would be the best option regarding this modem?

Ask them for the older scintific atlanta one and get a wireless n router myself?

Keep the EPC2425 disable wireless and use another n router?

Also could anyone recommend a dual band N router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

on the upc modem the wireless and the wired part dont "talk" to each other properly.

subway wrote: »
    on the upc modem the wireless and the wired part dont "talk" to each other properly.

i get that but what would be a recommended solution, theres lots of suggestions here but nothing seems to be proven to work....

having a read of that now lawdable

iknorr wrote: »
    Im ordering UPC today.
    What would be the best option regarding this modem?

Ask them for the older scintific atlanta one and get a wireless n router myself?

Keep the EPC2425 disable wireless and use another n router?

Also could anyone recommend a dual band N router?
    With the exception of not being able to use Tversity over wireless, the modem does me grand. No other problems. Reliable signal etc.

With the exception of not being able to use Tversity over wireless, the modem does me grand. No other problems. Reliable signal etc.

hmmmm, can you share you laptop folders over wireless?

as in can one laptop see the other laptop -be able to transfer files to and from etc?

Im not entirely sure. Never really needed to do that But my laptop connects to the media server when I have my PC on. I can download and watch the video files in Tversity on my PC. So the problem seems to be that the router doesn't communicate properly with the PS3. It might be that it doesn't recognize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

PC is wired directly to the modem.. the Xbox is over wirlesss... its a pain..

I've tried both wired and wirless on both devices.. as long as both use the same connection type they can see each other..

As soon as i go back to the original config.. they cant see each other... a real pain..My modem is up stairs and my Xbox is in the sitting room.. using both on wirless gives poor speeds, struggles with sd content. So alternative is running a cat 5 to the sitting room... the wife will not be happy lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 lawdable

That's a great way of putting it Subway; spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Anything stopping you from adding a wireless card to the PC and still using the wired connection to the router?

• Advertisement
Advertisement