Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin may see contra-flow cyclists

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Saw this just now and thought it probably belonged here.

http://dublincycling.com/node/613
    I find it difficult to accept that France are making wanton lawbreaking legal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

What France seem to be doing is a national move? Also the planned Dublin contra flow lanes are mostly on streets that may be better with some type of segregation for contra flow.

As I posted on the thread about cycling in Berlin, that city already allows this, on nearly all one-way street I noted anyway. And most back streets are 30km/h or as low as 10km/h:

4582740662_7b9dbf8e9f.jpg

4584621992_bea77c4e5d.jpg

And just in case anybody says that these would never work here etc, as Victor pointed out, contra flow without marking have already been in place for years, he pointed out the southside example, here's a northside one:

4526361169_61baa5f4b9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

blorg wrote: »
    I find it difficult to accept that France are making wanton lawbreaking legal.

We have it here too. The Royal Canal Bank in Phibsboro is one way but cyclists are allowed to go against traffic. No special cycle lane needed :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Dublin City Council is to draw up plans for "contra flow lanes" for cyclists, allowing them to travel in either direction on streets that are restricted to one-way for motor vehicles. l
    As if the roads aren't hazardous enough - now this.
    I can't wait.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    As if the roads aren't hazardous enough - now this.
    I can't wait.

Contra-flow already works with and without barriers in Dublin, Paris, Berlin, part of the US etc etc.
    jaqian wrote: »
    We have it here too. The Royal Canal Bank in Phibsboro is one way but cyclists are allowed to go against traffic. No special cycle lane needed :)

That's pictured in my last photo in the post above yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

monument wrote: »
    Contra-flow already works with and without barriers in Dublin, Paris, Berlin, part of the US etc etc.

That's pictured in my last photo in the post above yours.

Sorry about that. Didn't see it as Flickr (and most image host sites) are blocked by my job. :(

Also to add to this thread, there are at least 8 examples of contra-flow cycle lanes of different designs and distances already in the city.

I've mapped the locations of some of them on this map in light blue (with other things). Also marked most of the proposed ones in darker blue.

Advertisement