Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy nuts in bulk in Dublin?

Options
  • 25-02-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

I've been eating a lot of nuts recently, and wondering if anyone knows good places to buy raw almonds and pecans in bulk in Dublin?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

How big is bulk?

ANd what nuts?

I get mine in the Asian Food Company on Mary st.

You can get reasonable sized bags of cashews & almonds (possibly others) for €7-10.

Sorry if that a bit vague, but check it out anyway.
    Great for spices too. (obviously)

Edit: Why is it that I don't think of this thread as being one of those that isn't about fitness?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

d'Oracle wrote: »
    How big is bulk?

ANd what nuts?

I get mine in the Asian Food Company on Mary st.

You can get reasonable sized bags of cashews & almonds (possibly others) for €7-10.

Sorry if that a bit vague, but check it out anyway.
    Great for spices too. (obviously)

Edit: Why is it that I don't think of this thread as being one of those that isn't about fitness?
    Cheers - will check it out. By bulk I mean probably a kilo, I'd already said the type of nuts - raw almonds and pecans, but prob walnuts, brazil nuts, cashews etc as well.

I know what you mean about it not really being about Fitness, apologies - I just thought I'd get an answer here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

joker77 wrote: »
    Cheers - will check it out. By bulk I mean probably a kilo,

Should be between 700g and 1kg depending on the nuts IMMSMC.
    I'd already said the type of nuts - raw almonds and pecans,

Durr me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

500g's of almonds in listons on camden street - for about 3 quid...
    At least there used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Anyone used these? Prices look reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Prices don't look great compared to Lidl?
    200g Brazils for 2.99 Euro

Prices don't look great compared to Lidl?
    200g Brazils for 2.99 Euro

Thanks - was mainly looking at the macadamia nuts as can't seem to get them in bulk anywhere for half decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Unsalted unroasted nuts have no VAT, they can be a lot cheaper in the baking section. My lidl has cheap unsalted raw nuts in amongst the salted nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Holland & Barratt used to have big bags of various nuts for fairly reasonable prices - and if you time it during one of their Second-Item-1c sales, you get great value altogether!

rubadub wrote: »
    Unsalted unroasted nuts have no VAT, they can be a lot cheaper in the baking section. My lidl has cheap unsalted raw nuts in amongst the salted nuts.

What's the deal with raw macadamia nuts?

Should they be roasted or not?

Obviously I'd prefer 500g @ €12

to

200g @ €8.49

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Liloldme

So I'm looking for bags of raw organic almond nuts around Dublin - preferable 1kg or more ? Anyone know where to go?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I get large bags of nuts in Costless Supermarket in Tallaght (at the Plaza hotel complex). Can't remember the prices off the top of my head, but they do large bags of raw unsalted nuts there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think the best place to order bulk organic nuts is the Dublin food coop. You a discount of 22% if you purchase over €100 worth. I'm not sure if you need to be a member, but that's only €15 a year or so.

http://i.imgur.com/65YCgL4.jpg?1

Check that link for example pricing. The pricing changes every few weeks depending on the market, which fluctuates like crazy for some nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Do they have to be organic? LIDL do 200g of almonds in the baking section for about 3 euro I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

There's absolutely no reason to go organic, the whole thing is a sham.

Lidl do decent sized bags of Cashews, Brazil nuts, and Walnuts. Used to do Pecans but I haven't seen them in my local one for a long time.

Zillah wrote: »

Lidl do decent sized bags of Cashews, Brazil nuts, and Walnuts. Used to do Pecans but I haven't seen them in my local one for a long time.

Glad it's not just me looking for the pecans in LIDL :(:( Haven't seen them in ages. Normally stock up when I do see them!

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

A large bag of pecans (think about 350g) in Super Valu is now €4.80 ! Wish they were not so pricey !

grahamor wrote: »
    A large bag of pecans (think about 350g) in Super Valu is now €4.80 ! Wish they were not so pricey !

That bag is actually only 150g I think - that's why the LIDL ones are such great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

grahamor wrote: »

that is pretty cheap for pecans €13.70 per kilo

the cheapest in tesco are €16.50 per kilo
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=258511806

the dearest are tesco own brand at €35.90 per kilo
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=266375275

unroasted and unsalted nuts have zero vat, add sprinkle of salt and its 23% VAT. So the baking section can be cheapest.

As for ogranic, some foods are always fairly organic anyway, i.e. some foods use need minimal pesticides or fertilizers etc compared to others, not sure about nuts but I think coffee has minimal needs. Some might be unaware what organic means too, the "nautral" pesiticdes etc they are permitted to use could well have worse effects on some people.

Not to turn this into an organic vs non organic debate but if you prefer not to be consuming pesticides it would be advisable not to buy conventional nuts, they may have a shell etc, but the nut itself is very absorbent given it's high fat content: http://www.livestrong.com/article/269647-which-nuts-seeds-to-buy-organic/

If somebody put 2 cups of nuts side by side and said one had been sprayed with pesticides and the other not, I'm certainly choosing the organic.

Any studies into organic vs non organic I've read about have stated that it's really too early to know the long term health affects of pesticides as they haven't been used long enough. Organic makes a lot more sense to me and any anti organic folk may think it's a sham now, but in 50 years time after going for organic where possible throughout my life, yeah I may have spent a bit more money which I could have spent on other ****, but even if human consumption of pesticide treated foods hasn't been outed as harmful by then, I'll still feel like I've been spending my money wisely as it just makes sense to me to eat something that has ended up in my body in as natural a way as possible.

This is well worth the watch too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiU3Ndi6itk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DB01

Aldi have 200g bags of unsalted almonds and hazelnuts in their baking section.

cormie wrote: »
    Not to turn this into an organic vs non organic debate but if you prefer not to be consuming pesticides it would be advisable not to buy conventional nuts, they may have a shell etc, but the nut itself is very absorbent given it's high fat content: http://www.livestrong.com/article/269647-which-nuts-seeds-to-buy-organic/

If somebody put 2 cups of nuts side by side and said one had been sprayed with pesticides and the other not, I'm certainly choosing the organic.

Any studies into organic vs non organic I've read about have stated that it's really too early to know the long term health affects of pesticides as they haven't been used long enough. Organic makes a lot more sense to me and any anti organic folk may think it's a sham now, but in 50 years time after going for organic where possible throughout my life, yeah I may have spent a bit more money which I could have spent on other ****, but even if human consumption of pesticide treated foods hasn't been outed as harmful by then, I'll still feel like I've been spending my money wisely as it just makes sense to me to eat something that has ended up in my body in as natural a way as possible.

This is well worth the watch too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiU3Ndi6itk

There are no formal standards over what counts as organic. Organic foods are drenched in pesticides, they're just ones they blag as being natural because they use bacteria to produce them rather than a lab. The biggest investors in the organic market are the massive agrotech companies who spotted an opportunity to create the illusion of luxury goods. You're paying extra for a largely identical product. No study has ever shown "organic" foods to be safer or more nutritious than regular foods.

GMO crops which are designed to produce BT pesticide themselves, have far less BT in the final product than "organic" crops because the organic ones are sprayed from cans. It's a sham, a scam, a profiteering marketing ploy derived from nothing more than fear and new agey sentiment, and you've fallen for it.

You can't say you don't want a debate about organic foods and then go on to talk about how non-organic foods might be a health hazard.

I don't want a debate because my knowledge of chemistry is nil. So are you saying that all food is ****ed then? Best just to live off wild dandelions and berries in that case.

Do you disagree with what is being said in the video I linked to?

Glad it's not just me looking for the pecans in LIDL :(:( Haven't seen them in ages. Normally stock up when I do see them!

I got pecans in Lidl last week ! Love them !

Zillah wrote: »

Hi I got pecans there last week but I didn't see Almond nuts.

I completely agree. It's not even just the pesticides , it's the environments these foods are grown in. If they are grown in artificial circumstances then you do not get the same nutritional value. Minerals iron , magnesium, manganese and potassium are often dramatically reduced in non-organic products.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Liloldme wrote: »
    I completely agree. It's not even just the pesticides , it's the environments these foods are grown in. If they are grown in artificial circumstances then you do not get the same nutritional value. Minerals iron , magnesium, manganese and potassium are often dramatically reduced in non-organic products.

mineral content is reduced in foods generally speaking because of poor crop rotation and factory farming, it has bugger all to do with whether or not something is organic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Liloldme wrote: »
    Hi I got pecans there last week but I didn't see Almond nuts.

for some reason lidl (mine anyway, in carlow) keep the almonds away from the other nuts

don't know why, they're just there on their own near the sugar and the eggs

cormie wrote: »
    Do you disagree with what is being said in the video I linked to?

I'm half an hour in and he doesn't really seem to be claiming much in particular. He refers to a few animals studies, one of which was withdrawn, and another of which was debunked as bad science. He claims science is always inconclusive :confused: In one breath he implies, based on seemingly nothing, that cancer, autism and a range of other issues might all be because of pesticides? Totally irresponsible.

Basically Pesticides might be bad in some way??? Hardly a tour de force.

• Advertisement
Advertisement