Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AA meetings?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

Fair play to you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Well done OP.

How are things with your OH and your underlying negative emotions now?

That's excellent man! Really happy for ye.

You can even gauge from the tone of your most recent post how far you've come.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just read the entire thread and I have nothing but respect for you. I don't understand - or rather I'd like to get to the stage where I can understand - how you weren't craving a drink. I'm craving many of them for hours now and can't wait until bedtime as I can retire from this battle. 'Demon drink' is much more than a jocular alliteration now. I find maintaining a long-term relationship during this struggle, when I'm being pulled by introversion at every turn, remarkably difficult. Fair play to you for rising above your struggle to look after somebody who loves you.

There's some really good advice here. Kudos to all concerned. I'm particularly persuaded by the idea that because so many of us turned to alcohol as a crutch, we never properly developed important aspects of our personality.

I like the idea of getting comfort from listening and talking to people about the problems drink causes. However, I'm repelled by the idea of labelling myself an 'alcoholic', as if that is the defining characteristic of my entire life from now on. I'm going through a tough time now; it doesn't mean the next 60 years or whatever of my life should be defined by it (I expect to be lambasted for this, but it's how I feel)

At any rate, thanks for keeping us updated. Please continue. You're giving hope.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

strácáil wrote: »
    I like the idea of getting comfort from listening and talking to people about the problems drink causes. However, I'm repelled by the idea of labelling myself an 'alcoholic', as if that is the defining characteristic of my entire life from now on.

If you are in either Dublin or Belfast you could try attending a few LifeRing meetings. http://www.liferingireland.org/meeting-schedule

Other than that you could find out about what HSE addiction services exist in your area. Most services have group meetings, often ran by a counsellor, but won't necessarily apply the philosophy you aren't keen on. http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Addiction_Services/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,255 ✭✭✭✭Victor

strácáil wrote: »
    I like the idea of getting comfort from listening and talking to people about the problems drink causes. However, I'm repelled by the idea of labelling myself an 'alcoholic', as if that is the defining characteristic of my entire life from now on. I'm going through a tough time now; it doesn't mean the next 60 years or whatever of my life should be defined by it (I expect to be lambasted for this, but it's how I feel)
    You don't have to let 'alcoholic' be a defining characteristic or label.

You can also be a parent/sibling/child, partner, friend, worker, artist, writer, inspiration ...

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

Victor wrote: »
    You don't have to let 'alcoholic' be a defining characteristic or label.

You can also be a parent/sibling/child, partner, friend, worker, artist, writer, inspiration ...

I couldnt agree more.

I have been sober now for 3 years, 6 months and 7 days, one day at a time.

I consider myself to be an alcoholic, but once i dont pick up a drink, it has no bearing at all on my day to day life.

I am many things a wife, a daughter, a sister, a colleague, a friend. I am better at all of these things sober than i was drunk, but i dont define myself by the things to dont do!

Well done to the OP - a year is a a really big milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I dont have much experience with alcoholism, but I would like to point out that keeping in touch with a GP is not a bad idea as well as considering medication to assist or even maintain sobriety. I am on medication for depression and am now on a maintenance dose, along with councelling it has been a great help.

The point I am trying to make is, make use of whats out there in the medical world as well, if needs be, it could be something as simple as getting a blood test to see if you are lacking in anything that could be affecting your nerves eg, chronic vit B depletion or malnourishment. Find out whats out there, and if you do consider medication, read up on how it works from reputable sources, have a chat with your pharmacist, if you are on something and it doesn't work tell your GP, reaccessed how you are taking it (eg times of day).

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

Has anyone here tried LifeRing in Dublin? I need to give something a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭JonBon27

I must say that the OP has given me the strenght to try give the booze a knock on the head. I am in a similar situation to you when you first posted.

Fingers crossed

• Advertisement
Advertisement