Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best X (things) in Galway

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

trish23 wrote: »

Butchers, greengrocers & fishmongers are a dying breed unfortunately. Good to see people looking for them.

I disagree, i think they are starting to appear again.
    People are looking for good quality food at good prices and finding them in the mentioned shops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

The best butchers - market in Oranmore every Thursday, can't remember his name.

The best general supermarket - no such thing, bits and pieces from 'em all

The best bar food - I'm a sucker for Monroes' pizzas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

amiable wrote: »
    I disagree, i think they are starting to appear again.
    People are looking for good quality food at good prices and finding them in the mentioned shops

Yes, I agree, you can definitely find good quality & prices in all of these. But consumers are also into convenience & if that means buying their meat & veg in the local supermarket then so be it! Once upon a time you could find a good local butcher in every suburb in Galway. That day is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Best ice cream? (it is summer after all)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Jugs82 wrote: »
    Best Guinness - Murty Rabbits

Best Daytime Pub - Taafes

Best Early Evening Pub - Dew Drop

Best Weekend Footie Pub - Dew Drop (just in the habit :))

Best Fry - Kelehans

Best Fast Food - New York Pizza

Best Bookshop - Charlie Byrnes

Best Coffee - Javas

Best Pizza - Monroes

Best Place to relax for an Afternoon: Townhouse Bar

Best Steak: Oscars

Your taking the piss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cathal01, I merged your thread with the recent Best Stuff thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your taking the piss?

Or drinking it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

just had a "slice" of pizza in the Napoli shop (next door to Yes Flowers on Cross Street). the nicest pizza I ever tasted - they have whatever "flavour" slice you want, pepperoni, mushroom, ham, pineapple. The Slices are about the size of a small personal pizza and so yummy

check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I have created a new thread summarising results (didn't include everything) here

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭strewthelvis

Where to get the best big breakfast when in town starving in the morning, i mean the works now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dreababyluxe

Best Supermarket Experience - Mc Cambridges, Joyce's, Mortons Salthill (for those who are tired of the usual supermarket brands..and for those who care for local produce too).

Best Fruit & Veg Selection - Terryland Fruit and Veg Shop (great lil place next to it for inexpensive spices and asian/indian food too including unusual fish, prawns, craps etc).

Best Take out Coffee - The Chocolate Box/Butlers/the one on the corner near Fuji which serves Lavazza (name unknown).

Best Cafe - Sweetie Pies (cupcake heaven)

Best Chocolates - Butlers or Leonidas (Corbett Court/Eyre Square Centre)

Best Cakes/Desserts - Gourmet Tarts Company (eat in or take out) or Mortons Salthill (take home)

Best Indian - Kumars

Best Chips - Vinnies, McDonaghs

Best Pizza - Milanos, Fat Freddies

Best Bar Food - Lohan's Salthill (though must admit their staff have let us down on last 2 trips, small things like forgetting drinks we ordered).

Best Daytime/Evening Pub - Quays

Best Nighttime Pub - Sonnys, Skeff

Best Flowers - Yes Flowers (the shop in itself is an experience, excellant staff/owner)

Best Free Things to Do - Walk the Salthill prom, Browse book shops (Charlie Byrnes)

Best Pet Store/Shop Selection - Pet World, Terryland though staff at the Galway Pet Store (Quay St?) are extra helpful.

Best Taxi Company - Big O

Best Lunch/People-Watching Spot - Eyre Square (bit of a duh)

Best Sandwich - GBC, Mustard or O'Briens

Best Cinema - Eye

Would be interested to hear suggestions for Best Art Gallery, more Best Free Things to Do, Best View (sunset over Galway Bay/Salthill maybe?), Best (Paid) Things to Do... I'm still relatively new up here, this thread is great! Will be checking out many of the places recommended!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

best full irish.
    Homeplate.
    no contest!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Best Pizza

Sadly, Bistro Bianconi has shut. They really had amazing Pizza, and seemed to be doing well, I thought. I don't know what happened, but it's a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

best deli .. mCcambridges

best ass .. lady who walks down william street between 8.20/8.25 am mon-fri

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Your taking the piss?

No he's drinking it

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭navigator

Best potatoes: Couch Potatas

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭navigator

navigator wrote: »
    Best potatoes: Couch Potatas

recently been in Galway, and discovered it no longer exists :(