Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Press(Standing Barbell Shoulder Press)

Options
  • 20-02-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I am currently pressing 50kg with the Military Press. :mad:(Standing Barbell Shoulder Press) However I seem to be hitting a wall. I do 3 sets of 5 reps. I usually finish with a fourth set at 40kg and get out about 8 or 9 reps.

Can anyone recommend anything to improve my progress?

In particular is it ok to use your legs i.e. having a slight bend at the knees, which is released when you press? At present I am using strict form with legs straight using only the shoulders.

Any suggestions to help improve things would be great.

PS. Please note I already deadlift and squat!;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

When i hit a wall on the press i switched to the push press. I increased the weight a little and began squating down a bit and used the force of pushing upwards from my legs to drive it up over my head. Another thing i done was hold the bar above my head a few times till i couldn't hold it no more. Also working more on my lats helped a lot.

Technique is another aspect which can increase the weight. Put your elbows in front of the bar. Shoulder width grip and up in a straight line since that's the shortest distance for the bar to travel. Move your head slight forward when the bar passes it. Tense your quads, glutes and abs as well. Keep your legs straight but use your whole body to drive it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

I am the exact same. Cnt get past 52.5kg.

I've started doing a seated dumbell press instead so hopefully that can break me through the platue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

hows your breathing? i find if i put on a light weight lifting belt, (bodybuilder type thing) , it makes me aware of my breathing.i press alot more if i breath into my stomach/belly instead of my chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Lawstud wrote: »
    I am currently pressing 50kg with the Military Press. :mad:(Standing Barbell Shoulder Press) However I seem to be hitting a wall. I do 3 sets of 5 reps. I usually finish with a fourth set at 40kg and get out about 8 or 9 reps.

Can anyone recommend anything to improve my progress?

In particular is it ok to use your legs i.e. having a slight bend at the knees, which is released when you press? At present I am using strict form with legs straight using only the shoulders.

Any suggestions to help improve things would be great.

PS. Please note I already deadlift and squat!;)

If you have already reset, add more sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

digme wrote: »
    add more sets.
    hes doing 4 at the moment already, more volume isnt always a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

It worked well for me.

Advertisement