Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snowboard Waxing & edge

Options
  • 20-02-2010 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭

Lads and ladies... Want to get my board waxed and edged.. Unfortunately i dont have any of the equipment needed..

Just rang great outdoors to ask can they do it but supposedly they stopped doing it over a year ago..

Anyone know anywhere in Dublin that does it..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Snow & Rock Dundrum

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Snow and Rock are the only ones that do it and they have all the modern machinery to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Thanks lads... Just game em a call there and gonna drop it in.. Just didnt want to waste my first morning in france getting it sorted!!

While you are in there they have all the kit for doing it yourself if you want to learn how to do it yourself very theraputic:cool:

Thanks lads... Just game em a call there and gonna drop it in.. Just didnt want to waste my first morning in france getting it sorted!!

Just a quick up date.. my board is in there 2 weeks this Saturday.. And still not even done.. its a joke..
    Called yesterday and guy on the phone said he will call me back as there is noone there.. no call back

Called today and told it will be some time mid week... that's 2 and a half weeks to do a simple wax and edge.. Im going away next Saturday they better have it done...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭epopnomis

Should have done it yourself, can be done in around an hour with the correct tools... Next time I'd invest in the wax yourself... Probably a busy enough time of year for them in there...

epopnomis wrote: »
    Should have done it yourself, can be done in around an hour with the correct tools... Next time I'd invest in the wax yourself... Probably a busy enough time of year for them in there...

I know.. had a kit last year in Canada but left it there.. Just thought the id get it done this time as it will be back in the bag until next year after my few days away..

Next time its going to Paul in irishsnowboards.. Pity he was on holiday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Drop it over to my house and I'll wax it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Dumb question, but every how often would you need to get a board edged and waxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭earnyourturns

Hmm for edges I'd say maybe once a season. Depends if you're into jibbing (rails etc) or not in which case you want duller edges.

For waxing well IDEALLY you'd do it once a week or so but hmm I'm always way too slack on it. You know you need to wax though when the base looks dry around the edges, ie; when the edges are a lighter shade than the rest of the base. Again it depends on what sort of snow you're riding on ie; cold and dry, powdery, slushy and wet, groomers, park etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Pity he was on holiday!!!

He's probably back now, Ring him and ask. Then go take back your board and drop it down to Paul. He's not too far from Snow & Rock these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Get it out of S&R quick see the post below

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055471896

I was the one that had the board done, poor job. Sometime's i do my own but most of the time I get it done in resort which is cheap as chips!

Well i got a call today saying there was a mix up and it was put with the finished boards and sorry for the inconvenience..

They only charged me a tenner for the job.. Anyone else think they saw this thread???!!:D

Anyway looks ok, edges are nice and sharp.. Good wax coverage.. will see how it goes next week!!!

If it was my store I would be keeping an eye on the forums. As far as I know S&R us a machine do Skis/Boards where you basically put the kit in one end and press a button and the waxed stuff comes out the other side.

Dont think to many people could get even that wrong. In reality there should not be any wax left on the kit when you get it back unless it is a thin film of liquid wax

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

What's better fattes,liquid or a paste wax?

On my skis I use your standard hot wax block, . I lay down a good base using a mix of waxes and then top it off with a top draw wax just before the holidays

Past, liquid and spray on Wax tend to be great for quick fixes on the hill but for actually preparing skis/boards for the hill they are not good.

To prep a pair of skis from new I will do the following.

1 Strip hot wax to remove any dirt etc in the base

2 Wax with hydrocarbon Red and Yellow to get a good base wax and repeat about 20/ 30 times brushed and scraped in between waxes

3 Before they go away a coat of fluro race wax rubbed in with a cork

4 secret trick that shall remain that way

5 Rub of Zardox or any other top finish for a better glide on the first morning.

Advertisement