Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling and walking in Dublin - how is it for you?

Options
  • 19-02-2010 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

In order to make the city centre more attractive for pedestrians and cyclists, the City Council has introduced major initiatives such as the construction of the Liffey boardwalk, the widening of footpaths (e.g. O’Connell Street), the 5-Axle ban, a decrease in speed limits and the dublinbikes scheme.

What other initiatives / changes would you like to see happen in the city that would further improve the pedestrian and cyclist experience?

Chapter 5 of the Development Plan is called “Connecting & Sustaining the City's Infrastructure.” It outlines the approach and proposed actions the city will take regarding transport and services infrastructure over the next six years. You can read a short summary of the chapter or download the original here.

If you'd like to make a written submission to the Council on the subject, you can do so using the online submission form here.

Dublin City Council's 'Draft Development Plan, 2011-2017' is currently open for public consultation. The plan explains City Council strategy on everything from allotments and accommodation for artists to new economic corridors, new neighbourhoods, green spaces and low rise buildings.

We’re encouraging Dubliners to look at the Draft Plan, discuss any issues on these boards and make a comment directly to Dublin City Council via the online submission form.

You can find out more at www.dublincitydevelopmentplan.ie, where there are videos, text summaries and an interactive map of Dublin in 2017. All feedback will be reviewed before the plan is adopted by the City Council at the end of the year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The decrease in speed limits is retarded but I'm sure you're well aware of it yourself.

Improve the pedestrian experience? How about getting some more Gardaí onto the streets to give some air of safety when walking around the scumbag riddled areas near the quays? Someone had their face cut open there just the other day, how attractive.

How about clearing the homeless, drunks and drugged out people off the boardwalks before going and constructing more? What is being done about the open drug dealing on Bachelors walk? What about the people just "hanging around" on O'Connell Street and it's off streets? There's very little Garda presence felt on the streets of Dublin and the level of crime is increasing, particularly violent crime, and you're here asking if we should widen the footpaths? For what? MORE scumbags to fit into the one area?

There's nothing wrong with the "pedestrian experience" in terms of footpaths and cyclelanes, it's the people in the city centre that make it a misery to walk around. Clean that up first and then you can worry about decreasing the f*cking speed limits. A "no loitering" policy combined with more Gardai on patrol would be a start, and Gardai who'd actually take such a policy seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

As a pedestrian:

I find the pedestrian lights at junctions quite frustrating; frequently there are occasions where traffic is stopped by a red light, yet the pedestrian light is red also. Obviously the traffic will be stopped as there will be other traffic progressing at the junction, but surely the pedestrian light should be green for every chance possible. A bad explanation I know, but hopefully some can make sense of it.

As a cyclist:

The cycle lanes are very frustrating. Non-continous, sometimes going onto paths, and generally half filled with debris. The routes I take force me to stay on the outside edge of the lane for the sake of my tyres, which frustrates drivers (particularly busmen) who cant get past me.

Dublin Bike Scheme:

Great scheme. Obviously not perfect at peak times, but I'd love to see it extended with more stands and bikes. Maybe at some of the DIT locations, and more along the main thoroughfares?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

As a cyclist:
    • Fix the potholes, Gardiner Street and City Quay in particular are very bad with manhole covers/gratings often sunken several inches into the road because of trucks going over them.
    • More parking enforcement, vans and taxis blocking bike lanes while they make deliveries are a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Cyclists on the pavement is something that should be clamped down on.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Enforcement of the existing policies like the 5 axle ban and the bus gate would be good. These are excellent policies but they are still being flouted. I don't see why an automatic camera based system couldn't be introduced to enforce the busgate.

I think the 30km speed limit on the quays is for the most part beneficial especially for Eden Quay and the south quays around Temple bar. Its maybe unnecessary between Capel st and Church st. Again this needs to be enforced! Maybe a few highly visible speed cameras with warning signs well in advance would do the job?

The footpaths on large parts of Dame St and Nassau St are too narrow to cope with the volume of pedestrians and the number of bus stops on them. It forces people onto the road which isn't good for anyone! I know you have limited space to play with here but maybe something could be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rb: Garda enforcement is a matter for the Gardai. There's very little DCC can do about it except moan to the Gardai.

As a pedestrian
    Widen the footpaths, everywhere. I'm not talking about O'Connell Street width, but at least wide enough that two people can walk side-by-side and a third can overtake them. Think of South William Street - barely enough room to walk.

If there's no room to widen the footpaths, such as at South William Street, then either convert it to shared space, or pedestrianise it and ban vehicles from it.

As a cyclist

Remove as many manhole and access covers as you can. Where the manhole cover is absolutely necessary, ensure that it's flush with the road and has a tarmac or other non-slip covering. They absolutely lethal for cyclists, especially in the rain.

Also insist that any company who carries out roadworks *must* re-lay the tarmac across the entire road and not just the little patch they dug up. It's the patchwork crap that makes the roads bumpy and potholed for all road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Having been almost creamed by a cyclist last week, I suggest that better road markings be put down so that cyclists & motorists alike are better aware of what's coming up.

I'm talking reflective arrows or some such on the road when approaching traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Would agree with this - The Gardai seem to have no interest in enforcing the law with regard to cyclists. Personal bugbear and quite annoying to see.
    Perhaps add more notices at the Dublin Bike Scheme locations, telling people not to cycle on the footpaths.
    The footpaths on large parts of Dame St and Nassau St are too narrow to cope with the volume of pedestrians and the number of bus stops on them. It forces people onto the road which isn't good for anyone! I know you have limited space to play with here but maybe something could be done.

The footpath on the north-side of the street at the corner of George's Street and Dame Street is very narrow. Combined with the fact that people stop here at the pedestrian crossing, it consistently forces people onto the street, which is dangerous. It might be an idea to adjust this.

seamus wrote: »
    Rb: Garda enforcement is a matter for the Gardai. There's very little DCC can do about it except moan to the Gardai.

Indeed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I'm a cyclist and I always cycle with lights at night, but unfortunately not enough cyclists do. There needs to be a drive to get cyclists using lights when cycling at night. It is so dangerous otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I dont think they really care or take into account what you post here. You are suppposed to make an official submission as stated in the op

I dont think they really care or take into account what you post here. You are suppposed to make an official submission as stated in the op
    Indeed, they come and post questions pretending they're opening a discussion and then never bother to respond.

Previously anyone doing this on Boards would have been given the boot, but I guess since Boards because money-centralised that such behaviour is now fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Rb wrote: »
    Indeed, they come and post questions pretending they're opening a discussion and then never bother to respond.

Previously anyone doing this on Boards would have been given the boot, but I guess since Boards because money-centralised that such behaviour is now fine.

Take it to feedback if your not happy, personally I've no opinion either way so not getting into a discussion re. the pro's & con's.

Take it to feedback if your not happy, personally I've no opinion either way so not getting into a discussion re. the pro's & con's.
    If you've no opinion then you probably shouldn't bother posting, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

I was going to post a similiar reply to Rb's. The Council should stop all this bollicking around and deal with the single biggest quality of life issue in the city centre which is the huge number of junkies, beggars, petty criminals, winos, sign-holders, chuggers and feral teenage gangs roaming around and dragging the atmosphere down to that of whatever sh1thole they've got a free Luas in from.

I'm not some crank or crazed right-winger or Joe Duffy calling whinger; I'm a rate paying citizen who deserves a clean and safe civic centre that I can enjoy at all times and be proud of to show visitors. Look at the huge number of threads across the many forums here where 99.5% of people agree with me.

And don't give me that nonsense about this being a matter for the Gardai-the Council have the powers to deal with most of this tomorrow:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0008/sec0037.html

The problem is they're largely a bunch of pseudo left-of-centre gravy train jumpers who don't have the bottle to bring in a bye-law barring begging for example. Maybe a rates-strike by city businesses might change their mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you've no opinion then you probably shouldn't bother posting, tbh.

Do not cross swords with me RB.

Do not cross swords with me RB.
    LOL.

I hope you'll read back on this some day and cringe like I am now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Well, I've avoided cycling on the north quays for years ever since I did it once and discovered that whenever the road narrows, the cycle path disappeared, leaving me ear-to-wing mirrors of vans etc. They of course didn't realise why I wasn't keeping to the (non existant) cycle path and so weren't slowing down.

So now I avoid also the Bachelors Walk/turn right over O'Connell Bridge junction; am not happy with Westmorland St/College Green/Dame St. (Although that might have improved with the bus gate....I don't know.

Top of Harcourt St/Adelaide Rd is hairy too if you don't want the first left to Ranelagh, but do want the second left to Rathmines.

Don't any DCC people cycle?

Narrow footpaths on Andrew St get very crowded, and the traffic is heavy there.

I'm in favour of the reduced speed limit. Apparantly I'm not in the very vocal minority.
    What are all these people taking their cars into town for? I drive and never bring the car in, unless I'm shifting heavy stuff eg furniture. I work in the city centre and either cycle or get public transport.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

+1, also on the pedestrian bridges. Cyclists are a curse at busy times on the Millenium Bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

eh no in other european cities its acceptable to cycle on footpath

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Perhaps in other european cities the cyclists are courteous enough to give way to pedestrians. Here, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

As a cyclist I think it's an extremely selfish thing to do. It irritates me no end when you see people (often older) speeding down footpaths, especially when there's a cycle lane on the road.

Echoing what a lot of people here are saying I think road markings should be more obvious/better maintained.

More and better constructed/maintained and safer cycle lanes (give cyclists no reason not to use them).

Better seperation of cycle lanes from main roads.

Less vehicular traffic in the heavily pedestrianised areas. Access/goods/psv only??

• Registered Users Posts: 31,029 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As a cyclist, all I want is a smooth road.

I don't need special speed limits for cars, off-road cycle lanes, or other expensive, controversial or antagonistic measures.

Just fix the potholes, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

That's because the cycle lane is on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SleepDoc

Things I would like to see.

- A congestion charge for driving into the city centre. Exemptions for the infirm, residents.

- 1 euro levy on car parking spaces per customer, per visit. Money raised to be spent on cycling facilities.

- 30kph speed limit in the city centre? How about 20? Bet it would make no difference to the average journey time.

- Potholes repaired. Manhole covers on the footpath, not on the road.

- Law requiring motorists to give cyclists two metres of clearance when overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭sexpot

Actual cycle lanes would be good, not these half measures that lead you into a pole or bin or back onto a road with oncoming traffic. I'm lucky enough that my route brings me through the Phoenix park but once out of the Phoenix park there's no end to the terrible cycle lanes. Glass, wheels, plastic, rubbish and all matter of objects end up in the cycle lanes that are actually there and they're rarely cleaned.

As in Denmark, I'd like to see priority given to cyclists when in town, this might encourage more people to cycle and more cyclists mean safety in numbers.

Also, if there could be actual enforcement when vans or cars park in cycle lanes.

The Dublin Bikes scheme is excellent though, I'd love to see it brought just a bit more outside the city, to Phibsboro, Manor Street etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭keenan110

To be honest a good road without pot holes is the the only thing that i'd a
    want, as a cyclist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Enforce the existing laws properly.
    Stop the obsession with aluminium poles - they are everywhere.

Do an audit of all cycle lanes. Fire whatever numpty put them going through bus stops, on busy footpaths, in places where a pole (aluminium!) is in the centre of the cycle lane etc..

Widen footpaths in places such as Nassau Street (particularly in the bus stop strip), South William Street, parts of Dame Street. Get rid of most of the on-street parking - it only encourages cars to be brought in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

As a pedestrian:
    Cyclists on the pavement.

As a cyclist:
    Pedestrians thinking they can just step out in front of you when their light is red, just because you're not a car.

Cycle lanes running into bus stops, so you when a bus overtakes you, you have to lose all your speed and come to a grinding halt until the bus starts moving again, or there's space to overtake on the outside.

Potholes, manholes everywhere.

I have also seen other cyclists wearing full on headphones while cycling, absolute madness.

While I think the Dublin bikes is a great initiative, I think the people using them are the worst offenders for annoying cycling behaviour.

Other cyclists going up a one way road just because there's a cycle lane wrecks my head too.

Oh, and lights should be mandatory for cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Improve the pedestrian experience? How about getting some more Gardaí onto the streets to give some air of safety when walking around the scumbag riddled areas near the quays? Someone had their face cut open there just the other day, how attractive.

How about clearing the homeless, drunks and drugged out people off the boardwalks before going and constructing more? What is being done about the open drug dealing on Bachelors walk? What about the people just "hanging around" on O'Connell Street and it's off streets? There's very little Garda presence felt on the streets of Dublin and the level of crime is increasing, particularly violent crime, and you're here asking if we should widen the footpaths? For what? MORE scumbags to fit into the one area?

There's nothing wrong with the "pedestrian experience" in terms of footpaths and cyclelanes, it's the people in the city centre that make it a misery to walk around. Clean that up first and then you can worry about decreasing the f*cking speed limits. A "no loitering" policy combined with more Gardai on patrol would be a start, and Gardai who'd actually take such a policy seriously.

That has to be the most overbearing,pompous posts I have ever read on boards.

How awful for you that you have to see Irelands vast social problems with your own eyes. :rolleyes:
    What gives you the right to sneer at those who've been dealt a harder hand in life?

I've been living in the North inner city Dublin for the last two years after three years of living in Donnybrook. You just can't compare the warmth, friendliness and general decentness of the people in this area over any other place I've lived in Ireland. Yes, there is massive social problems with many turning to drugs and drink because they don't have much more to live for. Im sure Rb's attitude accelerates their feelings of uselessness that they are just not wanted in Irish soceity.
    Imagine someone wishing you were just swept away like rubbish from the pavement. Unfortuantley,we live in a wholy unequal society, and until we get that sorted then I'm afraid the situation on Dublins streets will just get worse and worse.

Also its our city,If I want to loiter around the streets I damn well will!Nothing beats sitting on a park bench or sitting beside the Liffey on a sunny day. I dont think anyone has the right to move someone off their OWN streets.
    I've just come back from a trip to London and the extortinate amount of cops on patrol have turned it into a police state,like something from 1984. It doesnt seem to have much of an effect either because crime and drugs are still extremely rampant.

DCC,Is there anyway you can get rid of self-righteous dimwits like RB who one day will regret his contemptous attitude when he himself is down in his luck.
    seamus wrote: »

As a pedestrian
    Widen the footpaths, everywhere. I'm not talking about O'Connell Street width, but at least wide enough that two people can walk side-by-side and a third can overtake them. Think of South William Street - barely enough room to walk.

+100

Also, as a cyclist shouldnt it be illegal for cars to park on cycle lanes?Its immpossible to use the cycle lane in Ranelagh as its always packed with parked cars making it pretty dangerous for the cyclist.

Advertisement