Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown or White Sugar With Tea/Coffee? (Bovril?)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

I dont put sugar in tea or coffee.

Theres nothing worse than a cup of milky sweet tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Neither
    Brown sugar is awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Neither
    Christ. Sounds like you are talking about heroin :P

I can get you all the white and brown sugar you want.
    How many bags you want? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

Give me white sugar any day
    Christ. Sounds like you are talking about heroin :P
    A good analogy, Xavier.
    http://womenshealthacademy.typepad.com/articles/2008/09/sugar-the-legal.html

Neither
    sorrywhat wrote: »
    I dont put sugar in tea or coffee.

Theres nothing worse than a cup of milky sweet tea.

I really enjoy a cup of milky tea with some sugar.
    Always have one or two spoons of sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭sorrywhat

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I really enjoy a cup of milky tea with some sugar.
    Always have one or two spoons of sugar.

Turns my stomach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Communicationb

Tea with sugar is one of the most disgusting drinks I can think of....it makes me gag.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Brown sugar in coffee is delicious

No sugar in tea but it has to be extra strong with a dash of milk

Bovril yuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

No to Bovril. I'm a chicken Oxo man myself. Sans sugar.

Sugar is coffee and tea. Don't care what type.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Too late for Coffee/Tea forum now I reckon.
    A "neither" option added.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Neither
    MaybeLogic wrote: »

Double christ...

That's just insane...

I wonder are there many scientific unbiased studies about sugar. At the end of that article there's an advertisement for a book ;)

I also wonder if they talk about sugar in buns and sweets, or just normal sugar? I mean, I eat very little sweet things, but I do like a spoon and a half of sugar in my tea. I don't have cravings or anything and don't know anybody that does. I have a few friends completely addicted to coke cola. They could drink a litre or two a day easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Brown sugar if I have to use it. Mmmmm coffee....

/kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Neither
    I'll always reach for white, but really I don't taste a difference between the two. Brown just takes longer to dissolve sometimes seeing as the grains are generally larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

White in tea and brown or raw in coffee. I don't really know if there's much of a difference it's just a habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Where's the 'don't care as long as it's sugar' option?

Brown in tea, white on cereal or anything else...although after reading MaybeLogic's link...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

Double christ...

That's just insane...

I wonder are there many scientific unbiased studies about sugar. At the end of that article there's an advertisement for a book ;)

I also wonder if they talk about sugar in buns and sweets, or just normal sugar? I mean, I eat very little sweet things, but I do like a spoon and a half of sugar in my tea. I don't have cravings or anything and don't know anybody that does. I have a few friends completely addicted to coke cola. They could drink a litre or two a day easily.

There's so many different types of refined sugar....(sugar, brown sugar, high fructose corn syrup (or HFCS), glucose, fructose, corn sweetener (HFCS), corn syrup, dextrose (same as glucose), fruit juice concentrate, invert sugar, lactose, maltose, malt syrup, sucrose, syrup etc.) ...in so many products that most people get enough irefined sugar to maintain their addiction and avoid the 'Sugar Blues'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Neither
    Mmm I take about 10 white sugars in my tea and none in my coffee.. I would rather go without the tea if there was only brown sugar there. I think it has a weird texture.. Ugh.

And yes.. 10 sugars.. Unhealthy/that's disgusting, "would you like tea with your sugar" yeah yeah I've heard them all! :o

Neither
    NoDice wrote: »
    Mmm I take about 10 white sugars in my tea and none in my coffee.. I would rather go without the tea if there was only brown sugar there. I think it has a weird texture.. Ugh.

And yes.. 10 sugars.. Unhealthy/that's disgusting, "would you like tea with your sugar" yeah yeah I've heard them all! :o

Reminds me of this scene from True Romance:

Neither
    :( I can't see that cause it's blocked in my workplace.. :(

Neither
    :( I can't see that cause it's blocked in my workplace.. :(

I could describe it.

I'm not going to, but I could. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I only eat raw sugar.
    White sugar is posionous and one of the most addictive substances around and is ubiquitous in our diet with many forms of sugar delivery systems from fizzy drink to chocolate to sweets to bread to beans etc. (brown sugar is usually just white sugar with mollasses added to fool people they're consuming a healthier option).
    It has absolutely no nutritional value, addicts only taking it for the kick it gives, and profits only the manufacturers because of it's longer shelf life and only serves to cost society with the damage it causes to peoples health.
    Disgusting.
    http://macrobiotics.co.uk/sugar.htm

"Awh Jaysis Anto gizza hit ah da shugor!"

Neither
    Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I could describe it.

I'm not going to, but I could. :p

Hmmm... I could tell you what I think of you now..

I'm not going to, but I could.. :mad:

lol joking of course. Man stupid work computers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

that would just leave a huge amount of sugar at the bottom of your cup?! o_Ó

I don't have sugar in my tea, just one brown in my coffee.

Neither
    azezil wrote: »
    that would just leave a huge amount of sugar at the bottom of your cup?! o_Ó

I don't have sugar in my tea, just one brown in my coffee.

Nope that's what spoons are for. Stir it whilst it's hot. Only if you leave it atanding for a while then all the sugar goes to the bottom. I always leave the end of my drinks.....

Also love eating sugar lumps!

man I'm weird.. :(

No one else take lots of sugar??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Yeah but even stirring vigurously in hot tea isn't the most an average size cup can desolve about 3 spoons? (based on experiments done while a kid hehe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Neither
    There's so many different types of refined sugar....(sugar, brown sugar, high fructose corn syrup (or HFCS), glucose, fructose, corn sweetener (HFCS), corn syrup, dextrose (same as glucose), fruit juice concentrate, invert sugar, lactose, maltose, malt syrup, sucrose, syrup etc.) ...in so many products that most people get enough irefined sugar to maintain their addiction and avoid the 'Sugar Blues'.

I knew we took in a massive amount of salt and sugars through food stuffs we buy, but I try to by organic or unprocessed foods, no fizzy drinks or juices (unless freshly squezed), etc etc.
    Yeah but even stirring vigurously in hot tea isn't the most an average size cup can desolve about 3 spoons? (based on experiments done while a kid hehe)

Saturation at such a low level? Surely this can't be true :eek:

Neither

It's how I drink my tea everyday, and I'd have about 7 or 8 cups of tea. I'm honestly not lying or exaggerating. There is still sugar at the bottom of my tea but not even enough for one spoon..

To be fair I do stir it making sure I've scraped all the sugar at the bottom!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Here's a little trick with coffee that you can try at home, you can thank me later :)

Homemade Cappuccino
    • Get a spoonful of your favourite instant coffee brand.
    • Add a tinch of milk, enough to form a paste.
    • Now use a spoon to to whip this mixture until it's thick and frothy (could take a good few mins depending on wrist action).
    • Now add boiling water, cream (or milk) and sugar.
    Some people add sugar when whipping, I think it works better without but shure try both.

Your goal is to just whip up as frothy a mixture as possible before adding the boiling water.

Advertisement