Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christian Tolerance

Options
  • 18-02-2010 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭

I'd like to ask about the Christian tolerance people often talk about here, because I frankly cannot think how anyone could consider Christianity tolerant in any way or form.

I would consider Christianity to be one of, if not the most, intolerant of religions now and in the past.

One only needs to look at the changes that took place in 'christianised' countries to see this.

Homosexuality, just one example where theres a huge intolerance shown by the Christian religion. Whereas before Christianity it was quite accepted or at least not condemned.

Please note I am not saying that ALL Christians are intolerant etc. I am saying that the religion itself is intolerant by its very nature.

'Of all religions the Christian is without doubt the one which should inspire tolerance most, although up to now the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men.' - Voltaire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

monosharp wrote: »
    Please note I am not saying that ALL Christians are intolerant etc. I am saying that the religion itself is intolerant by its very nature.

'Of all religions the Christian is without doubt the one which should inspire tolerance most, although up to now the Christians have been the most intolerant of all men.' - Voltaire

Who do you think might be closer to the truth, yourself or Voltaire? Bit odd to include a quote which completely contradicts your own argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Let's see how this thread develops.

Monosharp, I have a request. Please don't hop on your hobby horse and start going on about Christians in S. Korea, education requirements for Christian colleges in S. Korea and all that stuff we have heard from you many times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

prinz wrote: »
    Who do you think might be closer to the truth, yourself or Voltaire? Bit odd to include a quote which completely contradicts your own argument.

I was just thinking the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I would consider Christianity to be one of, if not the most, intolerant of religions now and in the past.

This is some what flawed from the start, given that intolerance is relative and not always a bad thing.

I'm intolerant to murder and rape for example.

Christians would no doubt argue that Christianity is intolerant to what God has show is is bad and tolerant to what God has shown us is good. Which, if it is true, is as reasonable as me being intolerant to pedophilia or bear baiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Well for one because I don't think it does contradict my argument.

'I am saying that the religion itself is intolerant by its very nature.' - Monosharp

I think religion is very subjective. There are people who will look at Christianity and take 'love thy neighbour' from it, and then there are people who will look at Christianity and take 'homosexuality is evil' from it.

So while Voltaire looked at Christianity and subjectively believed it 'should' be the most tolerant, that is what he took from it because that was already his mind.

I believe the religion itself is intolerant because it allows any kind of hate filled individual to graph their beliefs onto some particular part of the bible and come off with what they believe is divinely sanctified reason for their hatred.

Hate gays ? No problem. Find some Bible verse that may or may not support it, convince yourself it does support it and away you go. Gods suddenly on your side.

Does god or Pat Robertson hate homosexuals ? If its just Pat on his own he'd probably be a bit less vocal about it but he can convince himself and anyone who listens to him that god hates homosexuals, now he can rant all about it.

• Advertisement

Let's see how this thread develops.

Monosharp, I have a request. Please don't hop on your hobby horse and start going on about Christians in S. Korea, education requirements for Christian colleges in S. Korea and all that stuff we have heard from you many times before.

As long as no one mentions Christian 'tolerance' in Asia. Agreed.

Wicknight wrote: »
    This is some what flawed from the start, given that intolerance is relative and not always a bad thing.

I'm intolerant to murder and rape for example.

Absolutely and I should have been more specific.
    Toleration and tolerance are terms used in social, cultural and religious contexts to describe attitudes which are "tolerant" (or moderately respectful) of practices or group memberships that may be disapproved of by those in the majority. In practice, "tolerance" indicates support for practices that prohibit ethnic and religious discrimination.

Thats not really much better either. Lets talk about specific situations then, I've mentioned homosexuality already. I'd also mention tolerance of other religions, tolerance of no-religion, tolerance of other races etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

It depends what you mean as 'tolerance'.

If you mean agreeing that everything people might choose to do is good, then Christianity is not tolerant. So, taking your chosen subject of homosexuality, Christianity believes that homosexual behaviour is contrary to the will of God. Therefore such behaviour is considered incompatible with being a Christian. So Christianity is intolerant to homosexuality (as well as idolatry and a heap of other stuff) in the same sense that Jews are intolerant of eating bacon, Hindus are intolerant of eating beef etc.

However, if you mean 'intolerant' as prohibiting others from engaging in certain behaviour then most Christians I know are extremely tolerant of homosexuality. In that case most of us view homosexual behaviour as being on a par with heterosexual sex outside of marriage - it is something we don't do, but we don't attempt to stop others from doing it.

So, for example, we have a number of practising homosexuals who will attend our church services, just as we have couples who are living together out of wedlock. They know that they cannot become members of the church while they are living such a lifestyle, but they enjoy the music, worship and preaching, and they find the church to be a non-judgemental place where they can make friends and get prayed for when they are in trouble. They also apppreciated the stance we took in respect to the Civil Partnership Bill.

So, in my opinion, the above is how Christianity should and does interact with the issue of homosexuality when the Church is being true to its calling. I think this is similar to how Jesus spent time with the 'sinners' of his day (tax collectors and prostitutes). They found Him welcoming and friendly, enjoyed being with Him, but also knew that He endorsed the prevailing moral teachings of Judaism and did not say their behaviour was OK in God's sight.

Of course you will get Christians who are homophobic, just as you get people of all backgrounds that are homophobic. Just try being gay in China! Also the attitudes of Christians in some countries tend to be harsher for historical reasons (Uganda is a case in hand, where some of the martyrs in the early days of Christianity were murdered for refusing to submit to sodomy at the hands of a tribal king).

But, overall, you see a similar trend to the ones I referred to in another thread. The countries with the longest historic exposure to Christianity also tend to be those with the most liberal attitudes to homosexuality. Also, and I find this very to be an interesting sociological phenomenon, those countries with a tradition of diverse opinions and denominations within Christianity (such as Scandanavia and northern Europe) tended to develop such liberalism much sooner than those who lived under a monolithic single system (such as Catholic southern Europe or Orthodox eastern europe). This is understandable, since societies that value diversity of opinion will tend to be more tolerant than those with less diversity.

Off course exceptions can be produced to the above rule of thumb, but overall the trends are clear.

Often, when this subject is discussed, unhistorical parallels are drawn between modern attitudes towards homosexuality and those in ancient societies.

For example, in many cultures (eg Bantu, Greek, Roman) men would engage in homosexual behaviour either prior to marriage, or on the side after marriage. But there was not the labelling of people as gay nor straight as a matter of identity like we see today. In other words, homosexual behaviour was often commonplace, but "being a homosexual" was not.

So, I understand that in ancient Rome, it was not thought unusual for young men to cheerfully roger each other in the baths, or for a Roman senator to marry and father children with a respectable matron while occasionally meeting a young boy for homosexual trysts - but if the same senator had declared himself 'gay' and lived exclusively with a man then the reaction would be one of scandalised homophobia with severe sanctions. Indeed, homosexuality among free-born men was punishable by death under the Lex Scantinia (although not with slaves, indeed, giving a disobedient slave a good buggering was considered a legitimate method of punishment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I am saying that the religion itself is intolerant by its very nature.
    Love God, Love thy neighbour
    Turn the other cheek
    Do onto others as you would have them do onto you.

I think Christianity, as a religion, is all about tolerance.
    Nowhere (afaik) is persecution of anyone recommended or called for. Its arguable whether homosexuality is even a sin, the passages involved are open to interpretation.
    - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."
    Apparently the 'homosexual offenders' part doesn't neccessarily refer to all homosexuals, male prostitutes being those with female clients homosexual offenders those with male clients.

Does god or Pat Robertson hate homosexuals ? If its just Pat on his own he'd probably be a bit less vocal about it but he can convince himself and anyone who listens to him that god hates homosexuals, now he can rant all about it.

I think you're possibly confusing your nut cases. Thinking of Fred Phelps (representing a tiny church of a dozen people) rather than Pat Robertson (has a large TV ministry)? I would like to see any qotation where Pat Robertson stated that either he or God hates homosexuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

So while Voltaire looked at Christianity and subjectively believed it 'should' be the most tolerant, that is what he took from it because that was already his mind.

Which begs the obvious question, what is already in your mind...

Which begs the obvious question, what is already in your mind...

Speaking of Voltaire, while he was himself a Deist, he did say, "If God did not exist, one would have to invent him. I want my attorney, my tailor, my servants, even my wife to believe in God, and I think I shall then be robbed and cuckolded less often". :)

More off-topic, I love the quote he uttered on his death bed. When a priest asked him to renounce Satan he replied, "Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Slightly off topic and perhaps eligible for a thread on its own, but could a Christian not say that it was Paul's opinion Homosexuality was wrong, not Jesus.

Paul was a Christian but he wasn't Christ ergo he was fallable and some of what he said could clearly be wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Homosexuality, just one example where theres a huge intolerance shown by the Christian religion. Whereas before Christianity it was quite accepted or at least not condemned.

It's not so much Christianity that was intolerant of homosexuality as it was Judaism.I mean, you'd stone a person for gay relations under Jewish law. Although Jesus himself never touched on the subject most Christian groups consider it sinful,which I find strange as there's many things which are not considered sinful by Christianity but are considered sinful in Jewish tradition,but there you go.
    PDN wrote: »
    .... indeed, giving a disobedient slave a good buggering was considered a legitimate method of punishment.

This thread needs to be X-rated.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Slightly off topic and perhaps eligible for a thread on its own, but could a Christian not say that it was Paul's opinion Homosexuality was wrong, not Jesus.

Paul was a Christian but he wasn't Christ ergo he was fallable and some of what he said could clearly be wrong?

Even if Paul was wrong, why would you think Jesus would condemn the law of Moses regarding sexual immorality? Its a pretty HUGE assumption that he thinks homosexuality is ok just because the gospel does not record him saying anything specifically about that particular form of sexual immorality. When he talked to prostitutes and other sinners, it wasn't in a 'keep up the good work', way. He always said, go 'and sin no more!' Jesus taught us not to be hypocrites, and also to reach out to those considered outcast. To forgive as we are forgiven etc. However, he did not teach us to tolerate sin. He wants us to hate sin. As he said, 'The well don't need a Physician'. Jesus was the Physician to the sinner. Jesus' way was not to 'accept you for who or what you are', continuing with the Physician metaphor, that would be akin to telling a guy with treatable cancer that the cancer was part of him and to leave it alone. He was about change. He was about rebirth. He was about leaving your sin and following him. However, he was not about looking down your nose and putting oneself above the sinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

didn't he "condemn" (fulfill) the laws of Moses with regard to a lot of other things?

didn't he "condemn" (fulfill) the laws of Moses with regard to a lot of other things?

Christianity teaches that Jesus fulfilled many aspects of the Mosaic law, but they were all ceremonial issues (sacrifices, unclean foods, circumcision, sabbath observance etc). Nowhere do we see any hint that moral requirements were somehow to be abandoned now that Jesus had come.

Also, the punishments for moral offences prescribed in the Old Testament for when they were living as a theocracy in the wilderness obviously don't apply in a secular democracy (and didn't even apply in the Roman colony that was Palestine in the time of Jesus).

But Christians would believe that the moral standards (sexual purity, honesty, forgiveness etc.) of the Old Testament still apply. Indeed, the only way we see Christ addressing those standards was actually in tightening them up (don't even look at a woman in an adulterous way) rather than kicking them into touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭eblistic

I think you're possibly confusing your nut cases. Thinking of Fred Phelps (representing a tiny church of a dozen people) rather than Pat Robertson (has a large TV ministry)? I would like to see any qotation where Pat Robertson stated that either he or God hates homosexuals.

Well this certainly suggests he takes a very dim view of them round about 1:10:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

You are equating the word 'condemn', with the word 'fulfill'?:confused:

Jesus fulfilled the ceremonial meaning of the law, and he also fulfilled the moral and every other side of the law. Ceremonially, because his life, death and sacrifice was what ceremony was about, and he lived the law perfectly, drawing attention to the 'spirit' of the law and not simply a legal document with loopholes etc. He showed us the spirit of the law in his lines about the sins of the heart etc.

JimiTime wrote: »
    Even if Paul was wrong, why would you think Jesus would condemn the law of Moses regarding sexual immorality?
    For same reason why Christians disregard quite a lot of the diktats and rues of the books of Moses. Including not shaving your face as it instructs in Leviticus (19:27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard) they retort:
    "ah that's the old testament".

Why reject 19:27 and accept Leviticus18:22 "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination."??

• Advertisement

For same reason why Christians disregard quite a lot of the diktats and rues of the books of Moses. Including not shaving your face as it instructs in Leviticus (19:27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard) they retort:
    "ah that's the old testament".

Why reject 19:27 and accept Leviticus18:22 "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination."??

Because you don't need to be a genius to spot the difference between what is ceremonial and what is moral.

Because you don't need to be a genius to spot the difference between what is ceremonial and what is moral.

You also don't need to be a genius to spot a contradiction or an inconsistency ;)

You don't know anything about a claim that if every Christian found another person to be a Christian, the entire World would be saved in seven years by any chance?

I would like to see any qotation where Pat Robertson stated that either he or God hates homosexuals.

I couldn't find a quote which states literally "I, Pat Robertson hate homosexuals" Or "I, Pat Robertson believe God hates homosexuals" but can I presume you have no argument with accepting that he does in fact hate homosexuals and he does in fact think God does too because of the below quotes ?

"I have known few homosexuals who did not practice their tendencies. Such people are sinning against God and will lead to the ultimate destruction of the family and our nation. I am unalterably opposed to such things, and will do everything I can to restrict the freedom of these people to spread their contagious infection to the youth of this nation."
    --Pat Robertson

"Just like what Nazi Germany did to the Jews, so liberal America is now doing to the evangelical Christians. It's no different. It is the same thing. It is happening all over again. It is the Democratic Congress, the liberal-based media and the homosexuals who want to destroy the Christians. Wholesale abuse and discrimination and the worst bigotry directed toward any group in America today. More terrible than anything suffered by any minority in history." –Pat Robertson

Question: "A friend of mine who is homosexual is considering adopting a child. This particular child has been in a physically abusive home, and my friend feels that he can at least give this child a loving home. He wants my advice, and I'm not sure what to say. I've been trying to lead my friend to Christ and just want to be cautious with my answer. What would you suggest?"
    Pat Robertson: "You know, USA had a movie recently with Valerie Bertinelli about lesbian couples and adoption, and so forth. And I know about what happened when a young man was taken away from his Christian mother by a court and given to his homosexual father. And the next thing you know, that guy was a flaming homosexual, and if I'm not mistaken, he contracted AIDS. I don't think that homosexuals, especially single homosexual men, should be adopting children. I think it's just wrong. I think for any single man to think of adopting a child is in itself a dangerous practice because you don't have time, you don't have the mothering instinct. If you have to go to work, how are you going to take care of a child? It's very difficult to do for anybody that's single. To take on somebody else's child is difficult enough, but to do so in a homosexual environment where the contacts that the man is going to be having--his various male lovers coming in, and this youngster's going to be exposed to all that? The answer is: this would be a terrible environment. So if there's any way you can do it subtlety say, `Look, Jesus loves you, but I think right now we ought to get you straightened out before you start taking on some other responsibility.' A life of a child is very significant, and that won't be a help for him."
    --The 700 Club, "Bring It On" Segment

"It's one thing to say, `We have rights to jobs...we have rights to be left alone in our little corner of the world to do our thing. It's an entirely different thing to say, well, `We're not only going to go into the schools and we're going to take your children and your grandchildren and turn them into homosexuals. Now that's wrong."
    --The 700 Club, September 17, 1992

"[Homosexuals] want to come into churches and disrupt church services and throw blood all around and try to give people AIDS and spit in the face of ministers."
    --The 700 Club, January 18, 1995

"If the widespread practice of homosexuality will bring about the destruction of your nation, if it will bring about terrorist bombs, if it'll bring about earthquakes, tornadoes and possibly a meteor, it isn't necessarily something we ought to open our arms to."
    --The 700 Club, June 8, 1998

"Many of those people involved with Adolf Hitler were Satanists, many of them were homosexuals - the two things seem to go together."
    --The 700 Club, January 21, 1993

"Many observers say that AIDS is the hammer and gun of the homosexual movement, an effective vehicle to propel the homosexual agenda throughout every phase of our society."
    --The 700 Club June 20, 1990

"...What kind of craziness is it in our society which will put a cloak of secrecy around a group of people whose lifestyle is at best abominable. Homosexuality is an abomination. The practices of those people is appalling. It is a pathology. It is a sickness, and instead of thinking of giving these people a preferred status and privacy, we should treat AIDS exactly the same way as any other communicable disease..."
    --The 700 Club, June 6, 1988

"It is teaching kids to fornicate, teaching people to have adultery, every kind of bestiality, homosexuality, lesbianism-everything that the Bible condemns."
    --The 700 Club, April 9, 1991, talking about Planned Parenthood

"Since our nation was founded, we have discriminated against certain things. We discriminate against kidnappers. We discriminate against murderers. We discriminate against thieves...There are laws that prohibit that kind of conduct. And there have been laws since the founding of our country against what are considered unnatural sex acts, sex between members of the same sex."
    -- The 700 Club, December 24, 1993

More off-topic, I love the quote he uttered on his death bed. When a priest asked him to renounce Satan he replied, "Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies!"

One of my favourites.

So, taking your chosen subject of homosexuality, Christianity believes that homosexual behaviour is contrary to the will of God.

And was responsible for how many centuries of inhumane treatment against this group of people ?
    Therefore such behaviour is considered incompatible with being a Christian. So Christianity is intolerant to homosexuality (as well as idolatry and a heap of other stuff) in the same sense that Jews are intolerant of eating bacon, Hindus are intolerant of eating beef etc.

Thats fine except when you forceably try to apply it to everyone.
    However, if you mean 'intolerant' as prohibiting others from engaging in certain behaviour then most Christians I know are extremely tolerant of homosexuality.

Today. But I want to discuss your argument which you stated in the last thread that Christianity was a force for good in Western Europe, opening society up to rational thought, tolerance etc.
    But, overall, you see a similar trend to the ones I referred to in another thread. The countries with the longest historic exposure to Christianity also tend to be those with the most liberal attitudes to homosexuality.

Like Alan Turing ? A man so important to the course of WW2 that Britain might well have fallen to the Nazi's without him.

He lived in one of those countries liberalised by Christian thought, where he was of utmost importance to military intelligence until after the war when he was arrested and chemically castrated ?

And I am not picking the 'exception' to the rule. Anti-homosexuality in Europe can give its thanks largely to the Christian influence.
    Off course exceptions can be produced to the above rule of thumb, but overall the trends are clear.

They are most certainly clear.

Before Christianity hit Europe and before Islam hit the middle East, homosexuality was largely accepted, in fact before societies were affected by 'the big 3' (abrahamic religions) the actual label 'homosexual' was practically unknown or extremely rare.
    wikipedia wrote:
    The ancient Greeks did not conceive of sexual orientation as a social identifier, as Western societies have done for the past century. Greek society did not distinguish sexual desire or behavior by the gender of the participants, but rather by the role that each participant played in the sex act, that of active penetrator or passive penetrated.
    wikipedia wrote:
    The Hellenophile emperor Hadrian is renowned for his relationship with Antinous, but the Christian emperor Theodosius I decreed a law on August 6, 390, condemning passive males to be burned at the stake. Justinian, towards the end of his reign, expanded the proscription to the active partner as well (in 558), warning that such conduct can lead to the destruction of cities through the "wrath of God".
    but if the same senator had declared himself 'gay' and lived exclusively with a man then the reaction would be one of scandalised homophobia with severe sanctions. Indeed, homosexuality among free-born men was punishable by death under the Lex Scantinia (although not with slaves, indeed, giving a disobedient slave a good buggering was considered a legitimate method of punishment)

When ?

Early Republic
    In the early Roman Republic, pederasty with freeborn boys was considered a degenerate Greek practice and as such was generally condemned.

Pederasty was between older men and young boys.

Mid and late Republic
    In short, an adult Roman citizen male could acceptably penetrate (whether a male or a female) but not be penetrated - catamite was commonly used as a slander.

Empire
    Pederasty largely lost its status as a ritual part of education — a process already begun by the increasingly sophisticated and cosmopolitan Greeks — and was instead seen as an activity primarily driven by one's sexual desires and competing with desire for women.[citation needed] The social acceptance of pederastic relations waxed and waned during the centuries. Conservative thinkers condemned it — along with other forms of indulgence. Tacitus attacks the Greek customs of "gymnasia et otia et turpes amores" (palaestrae, idleness, and shameful loves). [1]
    Other writers spent no effort censuring pederasty per se, but praised or blamed its various aspects. Martial appears to have favored it, going as far as to essentialize not the sexual use of the catamite but his nature as a boy: upon being discovered by his wife "inside a boy" and offered the "same thing" by her, he retorts with a list of mythological personages who, despite being married, took young male lovers, and concludes by rejecting her offer since "a woman merely has two vaginas." [2] Among the Romans, pederasty reached its zenith during the time of hellenophile emperor Hadrian. Commodus had a number of male lovers. Elagabalus also had numerous male lovers and even married one of these in a public ceremony. Philip the Arabian was also known for his fondness for young men.

Of course you will get Christians who are homophobic, just as you get people of all backgrounds that are homophobic. Just try being gay in China!

I'd imagine its pretty similar to being gay in Korea.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Gay bashing is rare in modern China. Some scholars complain that the government is too indifferent on this issue, doing nothing to promote the situation of homosexuality in China. During the 2002 Gay Games, only 2 persons from the mainland were sent to take part, and apart from gay websites the media gave little coverage to the event. The authorities still refuse to promote either gay issues or gay rights in China. Although there is no explicit law against homosexuality or same-sex acts between consenting adults, neither are there laws protecting gays from discrimination, nor are there any gay rights organizations in China. It is believed that the Chinese policy towards the gay issue remains the "Three nos": no approval, no disapproval, and no promotion (不支持, 不反对, 不提倡).

Gay bashing is very common in western countries in comparison to China, Korea and AFAIK Japan.

You also don't need to be a genius to spot a contradiction or an inconsistency ;)
    Nor do you need to be a genius to pretend that a contradiction or inconsistency exists. ;)
    You don't know anything about a claim that if every Christian found another person to be a Christian, the entire World would be saved in seven years by any chance?
    And the connection between that and toleration?

Such a claim would be true depending on one's definition of 'Christian' and assuming that your strange phrase 'found another person to be Christian' means to convert one other person to the faith per year.

According to adherents.com there are 2.1 billion Christians in the world - so if they doubled in numbers each year then they would exceed the world population before the end of year two.

Heck, such is the nature of of exponential growth that the little denomination I belong to (just 7 million adult members) would exceed the population of the world if it were to double in size every year for twelve years.

So, if one were excluding children and nominal Christians, it would be fair to say that an annual doubling of the number of committed believers in the world would, allowing for some natural wastage through death, take less than seven years to exceed the global population.

Of course there are other non-religious illustrations that illustrate exponential growth in similar ways. For example, the famous story I heard as a child was of a merchant who as payment for a service persuaded an emperor to place one grain of rice on a chess board, and to double the amount each day until all 64 squares were so used. Long before they reached the final square the empire was bankrupted.

Another example is if you kept folding a sheet of paper, thus doubling its thickness. Thankfully it is impossible to do this more than about 12 times (try it and see!) After 100 folds the thickness of your paper would be 12 billion light years. :)

Of course we know that large religious movements do not grow at such a rate in the real world. Christianity as a whole became the dominant religion in the Roman Empire by achieving an annual growth rate of 3% for several centuries. But, such illustrations can motivate individual congregations to have more vision for growth - and I have certainly seen and experienced instances where a church more than doubled its congregation size within a year.

I couldn't find a quote which states literally "I, Pat Robertson hate homosexuals" Or "I, Pat Robertson believe God hates homosexuals" but can I presume you have no argument with accepting that he does in fact hate homosexuals and he does in fact think God does too because of the below quotes ?
    I think Pat Robertson's views are extreme, and I in no way share them, but no, I don't think that equates to hatred.

For example, he compares homosexuals to murderers. Once again, I disagree, but the point is that I don't hate murderers - nor do I think God hates them.

Seeing a practice as being dangerous does not equate to hatred of the individuals involved in that practice.

What is clear, from a bit of googling, is that many homosexuals certainly hate Pat Robertson.
    And was responsible for how many centuries of inhumane treatment against this group of people ?
    I've been as ready as anyone to say that horrible things have been done throughout the ages in the name of Christianity. That would apply to Jews, gays, and to those like me who don't adhere to the dominant form of Christianity in any given state.

Man's inhumanity to man can be seen in every culture in every age.
    Thats fine except when you forceably try to apply it to everyone.
    Yes, that is what I said. It's nice to see you agree.
    Today. But I want to discuss your argument which you stated in the last thread that Christianity was a force for good in Western Europe, opening society up to rational thought, tolerance etc.
    Yes. That does not mean that nothing bad was ever done in the name of Christianity. But it has brought us to a point now where we live in a tolerant society, rather than living in fear of being murdered for daring to disagree with the local despot.
    And I am not picking the 'exception' to the rule. Anti-homosexuality in Europe can give its thanks largely to the Christian influence.
    Your selective bias is astounding.

Anything good in western society is, in your opinion, nothing to do with Christianity. Everything bad is the fault of Christianity. Do you not see that you are coming across as being incredibly closed minded.

I think my position is much more reasonable - to acknowledge that good and bad things have been done in the name of Christianity, but that overall the influence of Christianity on culture has been beneficial, particularly when compared to societies that lacked that influence.
    Before Christianity hit Europe and before Islam hit the middle East, homosexuality was largely accepted, in fact before societies were affected by 'the big 3' (abrahamic religions) the actual label 'homosexual' was practically unknown or extremely rare.
    The actual label 'homosexual' was unknown because the concept of someone being defined by their attractions was also unknown. It was, in many cultures, not uncommon for people to happily have sex with men, women, children, or animals.

The idea that Europe and the Middle East were nice enlightened places to live before Christianity came along is a nice fairy tale. Life was short, brutish, and if someone else had more money and power than you then you were screwed in more ways than one. After Christianity came along human nature did not change, but life arguably became slightly less brutish and short for most people.
    Pederasty was between older men and young boys.
    I'm well aware that pederasty was child abuse.

Am I supposed to be sorry that this practice was not as tolerated by Christianity as it was under the Romans or under many pagan societies. The same 'intolerance' that restricted homosexual behaviour also restricted the widespread rape of children (and, due to recent Irish history, we wish to God such child rape had been eradicated forever).

:p
    Nor do you need to be a genius to pretend that a contradiction or inconsistency exists. ;)
    To not pretend requires to be even less of a genius :)

Such a claim would be true depending on one's definition of 'Christian' and assuming that your strange phrase 'found another person to be Christian' means to convert one other person to the faith per year.

According to adherents.com there are 2.1 billion Christians in the world - so if they doubled in numbers each year then they would exceed the world population before the end of year two.

Heck, such is the nature of of exponential growth that the little denomination I belong to (just 7 million adult members) would exceed the population of the world if it were to double in size every year for twelve years.
    I heard a reference from a preacher recently
    For example, the famous story I heard as a child was of a merchant who as payment for a service persuaded an emperor to place one grain of rice on a chess board, and to double the amount each day until all 64 squares were so used. Long before they reached the final square the empire was bankrupted.

Another example...
    No need for that. I have a Maths degree.
    Of course we know that large religious movements do not grow at such a rate in the real world. Christianity as a whole became the dominant religion in the Roman Empire by achieving an annual growth rate of 3% for several centuries. But, such illustrations can motivate individual congregations to have more vision for growth - and I have certainly seen and experienced instances where a church more than doubled its congregation size within a year.
    Yes expodential mathematics is everywhere. Even in evolution. One good mutation also grows in the gene pool expodentially. This explains why changes (and divergences) can happen very quickly in species and how speciation can happen.

However, there's as much chance of pentocostals reaching world domination as there is scientologists who number around the same - if you were to believe their stats ;)

• Advertisement

:p
    To not pretend requires to be even less of a genius :)
    This is getting boring. If you think there's a contradiction could we talk about it sensibly rather than with smilies? I've pointed out to you that there is a difference between ceremonial matters and moral principles.
    I heard a reference from a preacher recently
    Good to hear you're listening to preachers.

No need for that. I have a Maths degree.
    But not every reader of this thread has.

However, there's as much chance of pentocostals reaching world domination as there is scientologists who number around the same - if you were to believe their stats ;)
    As far as I know no-one here has made any mention of Pentecostals striving for world domination. So is there any purpose behind this outbreak of irrelevancy? Or are you just trolling?

Do you have anything to contribute to this thread with respect to tolerance? Or are you conducting an experiment to see how much silliness a Christianity forum will tolerate?

Advertisement