Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternatives to Ford Puma for guys

Options
  • 18-02-2010 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello everyone, are there any alternatives to Ford Puma's for guys. I really love everything about this car, i'm in the UK and the price is good, insurance is reasonable, and i've heard nothing but good reports about how it drives.

Trouble is I don't really want to get rinsed for driving a so called "girls car" Now this won't actually stop me buying the car, and i'm happy to buy it, and secure enough to buy it:cool:

Just wondered though if there are any other alternatives to it. Don't want anything to heavy on insurance, but want quite a cool looking car. It's my first one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yeah ...grow a pair and just buy one regardless :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Screw what other people think. Buy the Puma. Came close a while back but didnt for the same reason. Been kicking myself ever since

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have a number of mates that have a Puma (4 men, 1 woman). Never heard of it being labelled as a "girls car".

If you like it, buy it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Just buy it. they're a class car, and anyone who says it's a girls car just is't comfortable within themselves :)

Make sure it's a Racing Puma though
    The 1.4 is for girls ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Alternatively if you don't want to take the risk, consider a Celica or maybe even some sort of small Merc coupe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 dizzydave10

JHMEG wrote: »
    Alternatively if you don't want to take the risk, consider a Celica or maybe even some sort of small Merc coupe.

Yeah Celica definately your best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Buy a racing edition puma!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

He said less girly, not hairdresser and middle aged women with a rich husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How about a Clio 172/182?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Dublin Chick

Go for the Puma I love them, what colour is it tho????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Go for the Puma man. Too many guys driving ****ty old Vectras and Corollas because they won't drive a 'small car'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Mazda MX-3/AZ-3 maybe, but it's not as modern and those tiny V6s could cause trouble in their old age.
    Honda Civic Coupe?
    Not really much else that size I can think (Opel Tigra is rubbish) of unless you want to step into roadster territory, and then you're looking at "gay" cars instead of "girly" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would not let other people influence my choice. If you want a Puma then buy a Puma, sod the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

steve06 wrote: »

pumaracing.jpg

Great looking car, saw one in the metal lately and they really have a presence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 shunterbaby

steve06 wrote: »

is that the 1.7l one??

chick - i think i'm gonna get a grey or a black one, they are my favourite colours on cars i think.

is that the 1.7l one??

chick - i think i'm gonna get a grey or a black one, they are my favourite colours on cars i think.
    The Puma Racing was a special low-volume model, AFAIK only available in blue. It's the most desirable production Puma - there is also a normal 1.7.

the Racing Puma is a 1.7 the others are 1.4 or 1.6.

IMO they look best in blue, black makes them look very small.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the Racing Puma is a 1.7 the others are 1.4 or 1.6.

IMO they look best in blue, black makes them look very small.
    The Racing is 1.7, but i'm pretty sure the others were available in 1.4, 1.6 and 1.7.

is that the 1.7l one??

So I am chick now am I :o

Ok a black one or a grey one would be lovely, for some reason I am totally against red cars....although I like the colour red just not in a car. Anywho buy buy buy. My flatmate drives a Porche, some people say it is a girls / hairdressers car but I think it is a great looking car and suits him!!!

There was a non-racing 1.7 alright but it had 30hp less - forgot about that one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Puma Racing has very hard suspension. Good on a track but not for everyone.

The normal 1.7 would be my choice. Some of the limited editions were very well equipped too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 shunterbaby

So I am chick now am I :o

Ok a black one or a grey one would be lovely, for some reason I am totally against red cars....although I like the colour red just not in a car. Anywho buy buy buy. My flatmate drives a Porche, some people say it is a girls / hairdressers car but I think it is a great looking car and suits him!!!

Sorry, I wanted to quote you as well, then it didn't give me the option, and just remembered chick was in your name:D

Yeh I think I will go for it, the racing was very limited, and are a lot more expensive, so don't think i will go for one of them. Think i'l just go for a 1.7

Nice one Shunter, well enjoy car shopping and safe driving :)

I don't mind being called chick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Friend has a Puma racing.... defo not a girlie car....
    great great car....

mind you he is on his second engine rebuild in two years :eek:

had one of the 1.7's - amazing handling and quite nippy (8.3 sec 0-60). v-tec engine still has pull even in higher gears. would recommend it. back seats a bit cramped. and true about the metal gearstick being freezing on cold mornings. black is a good colour. racing puma is a bit cooler but much higher insurance and too expensive.

had one of the 1.7's - amazing handling and quite nippy (8.3 sec 0-60). v-tec engine still has pull even in higher gears.

I presume you meant zetec as Honda don't supply engines to Ford. zetec is a marketing thing, nothing to do with engine technology.

Racing Puma is a special limited edition, only 1,000 were made. I'd imagine there are at least as many Pumas again with the Racing badge stuck on.

Interesting review here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2iONXaChfg

I presume you meant zetec as Honda don't supply engines to Ford. zetec is a marketing thing, nothing to do with engine technology.

you're correct - the engines are not Honda, but they are Japanese - from Yamaha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Puma

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭STForSale

There a great wee car, lively enough and good handlers. Don't get the chicks car label they have.
    Clean one's are getting harder to come by, looked at a few recently as the brother was in the market, wouldn't keep chickens in some of the one's I looked at :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

you're correct - the engines are not Honda, but they are Japanese - from Yamaha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Puma

That is incorrect, they are Ford engines made by Ford, which were designed with some unknown quantity of input from Yamaha. That's like saying Mk. I Seat Ibizas had Porsche engines.

The 1.7 has VCT (Variable Cam Timing), which does some of the same kind of thing as VTEC.

Advertisement