Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 1 (Kim)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭dawvee

I didn't worry about that too much. She is just a student, after all. If you've ever watched ER or House you're probably good to go. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I watch scrubs ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Pablo_

I have written a story, but the man who falls is another person in the PO, not an elderly man wearing a green jacket. Is this still ok to submit, everything else fits the skeleton ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The following exceptions are allowed

Turquoise or teal jackets (waistcoats and anoraks at a push)
    Slightly older than middle aged man
    Middle aged hermpahrodite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Lol.

What I think pickarooney is trying to say is ... anything close to the story outline is fine. I think everyone is more interested in how all us writers interpret the outline, rather than if we stick to the outline 100%. Just write something, try something new, and submit for all of us to read and enjoy.

Looking forward to seeing all the entries!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭dawvee

Yeah, I've got mine in now and I'm really curious to see other people's takes on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd love to have a stab at this.

The deadline's the 31st, yeah?

Yep, 31st at midnight, Irish time, to be precise but there's one hour less on the 28th because of the clock change. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Yep, 31st at midnight, Irish time, to be precise but there's one hour less on the 28th because of the clock change. :)

That's me undone then. I'd timed my submission by the hour to be pm'd at 1 minute to midnight. Now there is an hour less you tell me. This is sabotage, purposefully designed to thwart me. There will be consequences... mark my words... someone will pay (usually the Irish tax payer hovering above the poverty line).

If you fly to Greece you can benefit from an extra two hours due to the time difference or else South Africa - they don't do the clock switcheroo.

• Advertisement

Eight entries in now and 23 days left. tick tock.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The skeleton under this story doesn't suit me, but I'm hoping to get involved if there's ever a repeat of this idea.

Ah now, you had a chance to suggest one on page one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Are multiple entries allowed or is it one entry per poster? :)

One per poster and no multiple accounts if you please. Remember you can resubmit right up to the closing date if you want to change or rewrite your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Hey Pickarooney, how many submissions have you got so far :)

Just finishing up the outline for mine now!

Just 10 for the moment, bit of a drop-off towards the end of last week.

Anyone else want in? Still ten days to submit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Mine is a work in progress - expect delivery moments before the cutoff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Is anyone else wishing March would hurry the hell up so we can see the submissions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I know what you mean, ToasterSparks.... I think the time limit should be no more than a fortnight next time. :)

Good point, but it's hard enough to get word out and submissions in on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Komplett: Marc

Is it still cool to enter? I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I'll have a lot of time on a train over the weekend to work with and I'd really love to give it a try if at all possible :)

Of course. Just get it in by the 31st and you're laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Forgot about this. :o

Anyway, I blasted off a draft this morning that I'm fairly happy with, so with a few teaks I should be good to go. Will probably hang on for a few days though, just in case any other ideas are laying in wait. I know this won't really matter, because at nine seconds past midnight on the 1st of April, my mind will come up with an amazing idea of Pulitzer proportions

BTW:

How do people feel about the winner of this month's comp picking the "skeleton" for next month's? That should give us a nice spread of ideas over time.

Yay? Nay?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

@davyjose: Yay. Sounds like a plan. T'wont be moi, naturally. :)

I was thinking of a different competition for next time, but there's no reason we can't run this again. Would there be enough interest to make it a monthly event though?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I was thinking of a different competition for next time, but there's no reason we can't run this again. Would there be enough interest to make it a monthly event though?
    I like it because it pushes me to write something.. anything! Why dont you try it again and see?

Vee haff vays of makink you write!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I was thinking of a different competition for next time, but there's no reason we can't run this again.

Well what have you got in mind?
    Would there be enough interest to make it a monthly event though?

Were there many submissions?

Maybe we could run it every couple of months , or on a whim every once in a while. I had great fun writing this, and it was a challenge putting my own spin on something so precise, in so few words. But it had such narrow scope, I'd definitely see it as more than a one off. I'd need to try a few different ideas to hit my niche, I feel.

Advertisement