Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build cost 2010 ??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭kingshankly

just got a quote for a 2800 sq foot 1 1/2 storey house.
    price was £109k plus £13k for garage.
    price includes site clearence, housebuilt, paths around house and garage and all material including oak finish.concrete floors upstairs, triple insulation. septic tank and driveway loose stoned
    not included are windows, kitchen, bathroom suites, fireplace, 2nd fix electrical,and stone or stonework which will cost an additional £9k supplied and fitted
    hope this helps

Couple of months on have started on the site 2 weeks ago.
    Price for the above including garage came in at 106k sterling,things not included are window which will cost 6200 ,kitchen 15000 including appliances,stone which will cost 5000 and will have to get someone to 2nd fix electrics.
    As we are building in the north and it's our first house all prices are vat free.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 tates1979

Couple of months on have started on the site 2 weeks ago.
    Price for the above including garage came in at 106k sterling,things not included are window which will cost 6200 ,kitchen 15000 including appliances,stone which will cost 5000 and will have to get someone to 2nd fix electrics.
    As we are building in the north and it's our first house all prices are vat free.

Hi King -

You wouldn't mind PMing me your contractor name?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mossie27

I got a Quantity Surveyor to price up my plans for 3,150sqft house. He came back with a costing of 343,000 euro . Do you think this is excessive or about right, was hoping for a little less.
    It includes practicaly everything except landsacaping. Hope to have geothermal heating, aluminium triple glaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

That sounds like a decent enough price in opinion. Sometimes I think people don't realise that if you are building a 3200 sq ft house you are building a very big house. When you are building a house you have to pay for every last sq ft. I am amazed when people are surprised when they hear the initial price.

Like I've said before you should really budget a minimum of 100e per sq ft to build your house and low for Hiccups along the way.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

That sounds like a decent enough price in opinion. Sometimes I think people don't realise that if you are building a 3200 sq ft house you are building a very big house. When you are building a house you have to pay for every last sq ft. I am amazed when people are surprised when they hear the initial price.

Like I've said before you should really budget a minimum of 100e per sq ft to build your house and low for Hiccups along the way.

exactly. and people just saying the square footage and then thinking it sounds expensive. finish cost take up a lot of money. you could put down a crappy marmoleum flooring for €30/m2, or you could have a nice stone tiled finish for €120/m2. no two houses are the same. guidleines help, but indicitave costs are just that. it'll give people a budget to work on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 benoah

Mossie27 wrote: »
    I got a Quantity Surveyor to price up my plans for 3,150sqft house. He came back with a costing of 343,000 euro . Do you think this is excessive or about right, was hoping for a little less.
    It includes practicaly everything except landsacaping. Hope to have geothermal heating, aluminium triple glaze.
    mossie,
    is that quote for a contractor or direct labour? weighing up the costs of building ourselves before we go ahead and purchase a site.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Stegliano

Hi all,

I am planning to demolish existing house and to build an energy efficient timber frame house - Dublin. There are some high ticket items - windows and joinery coming in at around 100k and a zinc roof at 25k. I have had 3 quotes, to include all internal fixtures, fittings, (kitchen, wardrobes, sanitary ware) and finishes, hard landscaping and electric gates. The quotes are 222, 233 and 242 per sq ft. Expected much more competitive price in the present climate. May have to go back to the drawing board!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Stegliano wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am planning to demolish existing house and to build an energy efficient timber frame house - Dublin. There are some high ticket items - windows and joinery coming in at around 100k and a zinc roof at 25k. I have had 3 quotes, to include all internal fixtures, fittings, (kitchen, wardrobes, sanitary ware) and finishes, hard landscaping and electric gates. The quotes are 222, 233 and 242 per sq ft. Expected much more competitive price in the present climate. May have to go back to the drawing board!!

We spent about 25% of our builing costs on finishing the house. It all adds up. But either ways that sounds pricey. But if you've gotten 3 quotes in close range to each other you may have underestimated your building cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

demolish existing house
    Expensive . Waste removal is highly regulated and it costs
    Dublin.

Ouch !
    There are some high ticket items - windows and joinery coming in at around 100k and a zinc roof at 25k.

Tasty !
    I have had 3 quotes, to include all internal fixtures, fittings, (kitchen, wardrobes, sanitary ware) and finishes, hard landscaping and electric gates.

You do get what you pay for . Many people when they talk about costs talk only of the "builders finish" cost - no finishes , no decorations etc so comparisons with turn-key become way off . Electric gates for example will add about €4K - not including he actual gates just motors and controls

The quotes are 222, 233 and 242 per sq ft.

Exactly what I would expect .
    Expected much more competitive price in the present climate.

Think about this for a minute . Say you are builder and your opportunities have dried up . Material costs have not fallen . You are suffering the effects of the economy as much as anyone else . No commercial activity can exist without cost being covered .
    May have to go back to the drawing board!!

I don't wish to sound strident , I am trying to help - look at your expectations again .

Do you have to have showroom finish on Day 1 of occupation ? .

Find out the cost of a simply finished version of the accommodation you need and over time finish it to the "glossy magazine" standard anyone naturally has their heart set on . ( As for the gates - for now just install the ducts and cables only in the driveway . Buy the "kit" later . )

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Stegliano

[QUOTE= It all adds up.[/QUOTE]

I think that's it. No one item seems expensive in itself, But it all adds up!!

[QUOTE= I am trying to help [/QUOTE]

I appreciate your comments Sinnerboy - I found them helpful. It is hard to disagree with you!

One issue is how to choose which quote. I have found it difficult to find exactly where the most expensive quote has the extra costs. On the items that I can compare, e.g. preliminaries, external walls, the roof etc. they all seem to come in at the same price - but in other areas, one builder has, for example, all internal wall finishes(plasterboard, skimming and painting) included in that item, whereas another builder has priced all plastering and painting separately.

I was wondering if there is a system of doing an accurate price comparison between the quotes. Whereas all the quotes are detailed, the most expensive quote was the most detailed quote! Any advice appreciated.

• Advertisement

For maybe €200 you could ask a QS to review the quotes for you and recommend the best quote - which as I think you do understand is not always the lowest .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi all,

I may be way off (but I've emailed someone in Dublin doing a self build on a 3k sq ft house at the mo), to see what he's coming in at, but that seems high to me. There again, I'm not from Dublin !

As for the 'more competitive' in the present market: well, the only thing that has changed, price-wise, is labour. Everything else has gone up, especially in the last 6 months', and is set to go up further.

I know this is simplistic, but, bear with me: if the labour content of a product/service is, say, 20%. Then, if the cost of labour fell by, again, 20% (to reflect pay cuts or something), then the impact on the price of the product (or service), is only 4%. This is using formal official business channels. Products or services with smaller labour content will see you save even less.

Go into the black market and all bets are off, and you will get you pay for. Ask a guy to do a job for 20% less and...........and you're not getting the same job: he will make economies to reflect the lower rate, somewhere. Which is what you'd expect, tbh. Fair is fair and all that.
    sinnerboy wrote: »
    Expensive . Waste removal is highly regulated and it costs

You do get what you pay for . Many people when they talk about costs talk only of the "builders finish" cost - no finishes , no decorations etc so comparisons with turn-key become way off . Electric gates for example will add about €4K - not including he actual gates just motors and controls

Think about this for a minute . Say you are builder and your opportunities have dried up . Material costs have not fallen . You are suffering the effects of the economy as much as anyone else . No commercial activity can exist without cost being covered .

Lot's of truth there: especially the thing about material costs going up. And now that the banks are playing hardball with Joe Soap, instead of CEO Soap (:rolleyes: ), you'll find the terms like 'bridging finance' and 'overdraft' will become part of lore, or Pullitzer fiction territory.....

Example: we put up a house for sin Co Galway about 2 month's ago: the bank said, right up front, to the client, no stage payments will be made until the entire structure is up. Which means the general contractor who got the job, (and who we were in, under), had to finance all the groundworks etc (and by extension, we had to finance the structure), until the whole lot was up and roofed, before the bank would give the client a cent. Seen interest rates lately ? Someone has to pay them.

It's a Whole New World, as they say.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 diathi37

Hi,

We are at contract stage on a new site with full pp so hopeully wont be too long before we can get moving.At the stage of getting prices together.

Seems we can spend anything from 80 euro per sq foot upwards depending on what standard of interior finish we want.

Im looking for some info on Windows and external doors in particular. Anybody got advice/references?

Update: I got a reply from the contact in Dublin, doing his self-build, and here's what he says:

Skerries, greenfield site, 343sq m, single storey, good spec, €120 sq ft. An extra €50 sq ft for complete finishes.

UFH to 40% of floor, rads to balance. Gas heating w/solar panels and 1000L buffer, and two stoves. Good (PVC) windows, but, he admits, if he lost the run of himself, he could have spent an extra 25k easily, and he didn't see the merit/return on that invesment. Which is fair enough - I'm that way inclined myself.

So, there you go: I don't know if that makes you any wiser or not, but those prices are lower than your quotes, and, if it was outside Dublin, I'd wager they'd be lower again.

He has promised to email me his costings over the next day or so, with detail.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

diathi37 wrote: »
    Hi,

We are at contract stage on a new site with full pp so hopeully wont be too long before we can get moving.At the stage of getting prices together.

Seems we can spend anything from 80 euro per sq foot upwards depending on what standard of interior finish we want.

Im looking for some info on Windows and external doors in particular. Anybody got advice/references?

We are doing a job here on the 'home house' as you might call it, doing a knock-down and rebuild of an extension with conservatory/garage etc.

I got prices from 3 companies, for 5 different window types, approximately, thus:

Co 1:
    Std uPVC - €4500
    Hi Performance uPVC - € 6000
    Alu Clad timber - € 7500

Co 2:
    Alu Clad Eucalyptus Wood - € 12500
    Alu Clad Pine - € 11000

Co 3:
    Alu Clad Pine - € 12000

The point I'm making is, you can spend as much, or little, as you like. If you go purely for performance/quality/appearance, then you'll be paying top dollar, irrespective of where (usually imported stuff).

If you look at the above, I can't see the justification for spend 3 times the price of std uPVC on an Alu-Clad, as you'll never make the return. To me, (imho, mind), the middle ground of High Performance uPVC seems reasonable. In fact, it seems to me that there is a dearth of 'middle ground' windows - it's either one extreme or the other.

Ode To The Motorist

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

galwaytt wrote: »
    Update: I got a reply from the contact in Dublin, doing his self-build, and here's what he says:

Skerries, greenfield site, 343sq m, single storey, good spec, €120 sq ft. An extra €50 sq ft for complete finishes.

UFH to 40% of floor, rads to balance. Gas heating w/solar panels and 1000L buffer, and two stoves. Good (PVC) windows, but, he admits, if he lost the run of himself, he could have spent an extra 25k easily, and he didn't see the merit/return on that invesment. Which is fair enough - I'm that way inclined myself.

So, there you go: I don't know if that makes you any wiser or not, but those prices are lower than your quotes, and, if it was outside Dublin, I'd wager they'd be lower again.

He has promised to email me his costings over the next day or so, with detail.

the person doing the building in Dublin with the high prices has demolition to take into account, would imagine more central Dublin, and also going through a builder, not self build. significant costs to be factored in.

prices everywhere are different for every house. my 300m2 one in Wexford came in at about €85/ft including all finishes and furnishings. but I could easily have got it at €70 if I went lower spec on certain things

bruschi wrote: »
    the person doing the building in Dublin with the high prices has demolition to take into account, would imagine more central Dublin, and also going through a builder, not self build. significant costs to be factored in.

prices everywhere are different for every house. my 300m2 one in Wexford came in at about €85/ft including all finishes and furnishings. but I could easily have got it at €70 if I went lower spec on certain things

True, and whilst the Skerries house is self-build, it's not black market. It's just I don't think the quotes OP got is explained by location and even demolition, alone. There must be something more driving it - very, very high spec ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 39 tubba

i recently did a bit of searching thru builders in kerry looking for rough estimates to do an extension on an small existing bungalow. most builders were quoteing in the region of 80k.
    there was a lot of work to be done to the existing bungalow, and a dodgy extension done by the council about 20 years ago would have to be ripped out. these were only guide prices according to the builders so chances are it would come over 100k.
    i then found a building contractor who told me it would be cheaper to demolish the whole house and build a new 3 bed bungalow (1200 sq/ft).
    he quoted me 75k for a builders finish which would include all fees such as water connection, esb connection, planning fees, footpath around house, all plumbing, electrical, doors (internal and external), insulation, etc..

all i would have to do is tile the floors in the kitchen, put down carpet/ wooden floors, put in kitchen units and tar the driveway.
    all structural works have a 10yr homebond guarantee.
    i know that 1200sq/ft is not as big as most people would, but i think it's not a bad price.

also i think davidoco has an excellent post. just shows us exactly how many hidden costs there are in self building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Jez Tubba, I think that sounds like a great quote you got for 75k to a builders finish......at that price I wish I was living in Kerry that I could employ that builder!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 39 tubba

Jez Tubba, I think that sounds like a great quote you got for 75k to a builders finish......at that price I wish I was living in Kerry that I could employ that builder!!!:D:D

yeah it's a good price.. must just convince the missus that it is worth building a house rather than buying one already constructed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭radar0976

tubba wrote: »
    yeah it's a good price.. must just convince the missus that it is worth building a house rather than buying one already constructed.
    Hi tubba. Would he do a job in the Coachford area of Cork do you know ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MULBERRY TREE

Hi Reilig,I am hoping to get a loan to start a self build in Dublin ,not easy at the moment.I would love to think that I could get a house built for close to your price.I have planning but I have being getting such dramatically different quotes I am wondering are they looking at the same plans.I would love to get a recommended crew like yours (tried and tested)is there any chance you could pass on your contacts
    reilig wrote: »
    My self build which is 2000 square ft cost roughly €100 per square foot fully finished. This also includes a 500 sq ft garage and a 500m stone finished roadway ( costing almost €20k).

The house is well finished with solid oak kitchen, granite worktops, Porcelain tiles in kitchen, front hall and all bathrooms, solid oak in living room and all upstairs finished with solid ash. Stairs is solid oak, all doors and skirting are oak and 3 out of the 4 bedrooms are fully furnished with oak furniture. Bathrooms are finished with a Jacuzzi bath in one and a Steam Shower Cabin in the other.

Its fully painted inside.

Log Gasifying Boiler for heating backed up by a Stanley Solid Fuel Range in Kitchen and Stove in Sitting Room.

Price includes ESB, Engineer, Council and Solicitor Fees.

No Landscaping done yet. Its in the 10 year plan.

The house is completely furnished apart from 1 bedroom. There were unbelievavle price reductions over the last 12 months and cash is still king for a lot of people.

I have planning but I have being getting such dramatically different quotes I am wondering are they looking at the same plans.

Drawings alone are way too open to interpretation .

You need a detailed Specification to

1. describe the works
    2. describe the contractual set up

To prepare this you need to hire an Architect , Architectural Technician or Engineer .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

I'm planning to construct a 1,350 sq ft single story bungalow.
    My plan is to to it over time from cash only.
    I need to get it built and weather proofed in the first stage, and then over approx 4 years, get it finished.

My plan, get a builder to lay foundations, sub floor, under floor services )waste, heating pipes, etc), build, roof, external windows, doors, external plastering. Roof with Tegral Trutone.

Would anyone care to extimate cost per sq foor to that stage.

I would propose to finish myself, with some direct labour help over say another four years.

I'm hoping to get above done for €45k or less!:pac: Am I mad:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,872 ✭✭✭✭muffler

BeeDI wrote: »
    I'm planning to construct a 1,350 sq ft single story bungalow.
    I'm hoping to get above done for €45k or less!:pac: Am I mad:eek:
    Yes. :D

Depending on what part of the country you are in and how much "free labour" you can get I think you would be looking at 80k minimum.

muffler wrote: »
    Yes. :D

Depending on what part of the country you are in and how much "free labour" you can get I think you would be looking at 80k minimum.

Ah. I guess from reading various posts, and seeing that builders finish, seems to be available at €75 to €80 per sq foot, I thought I had a chance of my first stage done through a builder at circa 44% of the €75 per foot.

Remembering that I am excluding all heating materials above ground such as radiators, boilers, and excluding all wiring beyond the consumer unit. That is to say, I will do all wall chasing and electrical work plug points, light points including cabeling from consumer unit. imternal plastering and hardwalling excluded. Ceilings, roof space insulation excluded. All sanitary ware excluded.
    I was thinking, the expensive part of the materials would be incurred after my builder is gone, and I take up the finishing off process.

I would also be taking care of all external work like foot paths, drive way, any stone work required.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

............. excluding all wiring beyond the consumer unit. That is to say, I will do all wall chasing and electrical work plug points, light points including cabeling from consumer unit.

You may find it difficult to get an electrician to supply a cert for connection to ESB if he hasn't done the actual wiring.

davidoco wrote: »
    You may find it difficult to get an electrician to supply a cert for connection to ESB if he hasn't done the actual wiring.

Got that covered. Wont be doing too much of the actual connecting. Just first fix. Chaing, trunking, laying out the wires, etc. Neighbour sparky, will provide finish touches and cert:cool:

Ah. I guess from reading various posts, and seeing that builders finish, seems to be available at €75 to €80 per sq foot, I thought I had a chance of my first stage done through a builder at circa 44% of the €75 per foot.

Remembering that I am excluding all heating materials above ground such as radiators, boilers, and excluding all wiring beyond the consumer unit. That is to say, I will do all wall chasing and electrical work plug points, light points including cabeling from consumer unit. imternal plastering and hardwalling excluded. Ceilings, roof space insulation excluded. All sanitary ware excluded. I was thinking, the expensive part of the materials would be incurred after my builder is gone, and I take up the finishing off process.

I would also be taking care of all external work like foot paths, drive way, any stone work required.

...last time I checked, if you subtract the items' in bold, above, it's not actually a finished house, so your cost/sq m that you quote is misleading. The sums you are omitting from your quoted cost are not small, nor possible to omit from the build. Ditto the electrical work.

That's like saying I can buy a car for a €1.00. But it has no engine, seats, wiring or wheels. In which case, imho, it's not actually........a car. You can't drive it, or use it, like that. Ditto your house as described.

Fwiw, builder's around here are quoting approx €80 - €85 for a house to a good spec, turnkey, including your groundworks, treatment plant,footpaths, etc.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Ruksy07

Hi there.

I am new to Boards.ie. I am currently at the very first stage of planning. The house my boyfriend and I are building as a 2400 sq ft bungalow. I would like opinions from people who have been through the same process as us because prices quoted by my family have been very different and all on assumption only. I will soon be getting my mortgage sorted.

I come from a family of tradesmen. Our site is free. My dad and brother will be building the blocks and stone facing the house. Another brother is an electrician and a third brother is a carpenter. My boyfriend is a plumber and his uncle a plasterer. All labour will be minimal I am assured.

Does anyone who comes from a trades family/favours background have any idea of price per sq ft??:confused:

Village in Co. SLigo

Thanks for your time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement