Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point in using the exercise bike?

Options
  • 16-02-2010 6:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I notice from the exercise bike that I use in the gym, that I burn around 260 calories in 30 minutes....going fairly hard at it (resistance level 10).

30 minutes on the cross-trainer, however, yields around 500 calories, and a brisk 30 minute run on the treadmill around 400 (again all at mid-resistance levels and keeping the foot on the pedal so to speak).

My question therefore is this: assuming that weight loss and maintenance is always my primary goal, is there any point using the bike at all? All that sweat but not a great payload in terms of calories burnt! Or am I missing something here?

Thanks.

btw the above 3 machines are the only ones I have been using.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

gebbel wrote: »
    I notice from the exercise bike that I use in the gym, that I burn around 260 calories in 30 minutes....going fairly hard at it (resistance level 10).

30 minutes on the cross-trainer, however, yields around 500 calories, and a brisk 30 minute run on the treadmill around 400 (again all at mid-resistance levels and keeping the foot on the pedal so to speak).

My question therefore is this: assuming that weight loss and maintenance is always my primary goal, is there any point using the bike at all? All that sweat but not a great payload in terms of calories burnt! Or am I missing something here?

Thanks.

btw the above 3 machines are the only ones I have been using.

what matters is heart rate. Personally i reckon I get a better workout on the cross trainer, where asI HATE stationary bikes. if you are sweating a lot on the bike then mayne you are getting HR as high as on cross trainer and if so its fine .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

just mix it up and pleeeeeease use weights!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gebbel wrote: »
    I burn around 260 calories in 30 minutes
    30 minutes on the cross-trainer, however, yields around 500 calories
    30 minute run on the treadmill around 400
    The gym equipment manufacturers have a vested interest to overestimate their calorie burning readouts. So you go "oh, that brand of rowing machine is great, I burn wayyy more calories on it than the other brand, but I feel the same after."

It is the opposite of car manufacturers boasting about low mile per gallons, when in reality they can be higher, it is very easy to skew results to favour one thing or another. They are all eastimates, use them as scores like a computer game, try and beat your high score next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Nervouspriest

Don't use those bikes they are a complete waste of time. Do a spinning class instead if you want to cycle. Three machines you should use are the Rower, Treadmill and the Crosstrainer - stay away from the bikes, most people look like they are falling asleep on them!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I find the bike great for HIIT training as the buttons are easier to press than on a threadmill or crosstrainer. The rower is good too as you don't have to hit any buttons.

Tbh do what you like yourself and is less likely to make you bored. If you're going hard enough then you'll know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

I like doing intervals on a fixed wheel bike with a manual brake.

Don't have any in my gym though.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lud

Recently I got Polar 6 heart rate monitor. Tredmill shows similar amount of calories burnt as my heart rate monitor. Crosstrainer shows around 200 more calories than my hrm. I never use stationary bike so I cant tell how accurate it is. My butt sits in chair for most of the day and it doesnt need more rest.
    If I was fitter I would be on tredmill (the most challenging for me) every time in gym (except weight lifting days) but after one-two hard sessions in a week I feel overtrained (nasty cramps), then I go for crosstrainer.
    So the point is, don't believe the numbers on those machines. Choose whatever tires you out the most.
    And don't forget about lifting weights, with more muscle mass you'll burn more calories.

Advertisement