Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

So tired today, when I eventually got to sleep last night I kept wakening up and tossing the whole night. Kept kicking my o/h in my sleep aswel so he's gone to work this morning as wrecked as I am (and sore)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

jammstarr wrote: »
    Would you date someone who was depressed Midlandsmissus?

I would date anyone apart from people trying to sext me and refuse to let me get to know them .
    Hate when people try that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Time to start a LTI lonely hearts club? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I'd have no problem dating someone with depression to be honest it think in someways it may be better. You'd both get where the other person is coming from and know what they are dealing with.
    On the opposite side of things I've found being open early in about depression has sent the last few people running which makes me think maybe I should stay quiet about it for a while, that said I then feel like I am hiding something or effectively lying.

All this talk of relationships, agh, it's getting to me. Any offers out there??? I'm house trained and all!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm steering clear of anything resembling a relationship for now. In my case i just couldn't put them through what i've put some people i know through, especially since they will be closer to me. I've a feeling this might be self-flagellation on my part though, but it's definitely been my outlook for some time. In saying that though, i'm lonely and hope i won't always feel like that about the idea of a relationship. I'm so out of practice now though, petrified at the thought! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Not doing well today.

Just dwelling on things I have no control over and putting too much faith in people who don't know how much I need them right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Gillo wrote: »
    That sounds awful Neaf, up that late cooking, at least though you're doing something positive with your time.

Yeah, it's a hell of a lot better than sitting in a chair brooding about my negative thoughts, which was my other option.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's awful hard not to brood though. I've been sat here all day just staring, not one bit of inclination to move, have to hope i'll be able change that when i start seeing the psych people. Does anyone else sit and ponder/dwell/think themselves into knots much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Does anyone else sit and ponder/dwell/think themselves into knots much?

24/7

It's awful hard not to brood though. I've been sat here all day just staring, not one bit of inclination to move, have to hope i'll be able change that when i start seeing the psych people. Does anyone else sit and ponder/dwell/think themselves into knots much?

Yes. Constantly. It's an awful lot of work to not do it but if you try hard enough and long enough you can do it and train yourself to spot quickly when you're going into brooding mode and nip it in the bud. I don't think it's possible to stop the automatic negative thoughts popping into your head but it is possible to change how you react to them. This is the basis of the cognitive theory of depression if I'm not mistaken. I've found it very helpful but it's bloody hard work and without medication I don't think I'd be "with it" enough to do it.*

*This doesn't work for everybody unfortunately. :(

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    Yes. Constantly. It's an awful lot of work to not do it but if you try hard enough and long enough you can do it and train yourself to spot quickly when you're going into brooding mode and nip it in the bud. I don't think it's possible to stop the automatic negative thoughts popping into your head but it is possible to change how you react to them. This is the basis of the cognitive theory of depression if I'm not mistaken. I've found it very helpful but it's bloody hard work and without medication I don't think I'd be "with it" enough to do it.

I hope to be able to put the brakes on in future, it's good to know that there are others. Chief among thoughts is that "i'm the only one feeling this" then i feel paranoid and afraid to say anything, a vicious cycle i need to escape from.

Yes. Constantly. It's an awful lot of work to not do it but if you try hard enough and long enough you can do it and train yourself to spot quickly when you're going into brooding mode and nip it in the bud. I don't think it's possible to stop the automatic negative thoughts popping into your head but it is possible to change how you react to them. This is the basis of the cognitive theory of depression if I'm not mistaken. I've found it very helpful but it's bloody hard work and without medication I don't think I'd be "with it" enough to do it.*

*This doesn't work for everybody unfortunately. :(

Is that something like ruminating? I've tried to break the cycle before but it's very difficult to do.

jammstarr wrote: »
    Is that something like ruminating? I've tried to break the cycle before but it's very difficult to do.

Yeah it's ruminating. It's very hard to do but the first step is to realise quickly that you're doing it and then just trying different strategies to try and stop it. What works, I find, is dependent on how badly you're doing. If I'm not doing too bad I can just stay busy. If I'm moderately bad, I've found meditation and mindfulness helps, e.g. do some cleaning and focus all my concentration on the experience of doing the cleaning or whatever. If I'm doing very bad, well, I haven't figured out a way to deal with it yet.

Thing is though, since I actively started working against rumination I don't get as deeply depressed as I used to. I'm not sure that they're actually related or whether it's just some placebo effect but I'd like to think that my efforts are paying off.

I liked this article: http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2011/01/20/why-ruminating-is-unhealthy-and-how-to-stop/

Your mileage may vary however.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CarrieCupcake

Having a rough time the last few days, i have a deadline for college to meet this week and i'm finding it really tough to cope with the pressure of it. the deadline has already been extended for me so i don't think i can get any more time. i shut down when i'm stressed and i haven't been able to do anything productive the last 2 days which just makes things seem worse and worse.

sometimes i wish i had a physical illness rather than a mental illness... i just wish people could see how bad things are but it's all on the inside. no one knows unless i tell them and its so hard to talk. does anyone else ever feel this way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Going inpatient on Tuesday I think. Haven't gotten many details yet. Petrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Kaching

when dont I?:(

Do you mind me asking where you are going?
    I've been in twice, it's not nearly as bad as you expect, really hope it works out for you.
    If there's anything you want to ask but don't want to go publIc feel free to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Hope everything's going ok for everybody :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭talullah

All the time.
    sometimes i wish i had a physical illness rather than a mental illness... i just wish people could see how bad things are but it's all on the inside. no one knows unless i tell them and its so hard to talk. does anyone else ever feel this way?

I always think that, people cant see how badly it hurts and even if you try explain i dont think they can even understand it. It really does seem at times that it would be so much easier to have a physical illness, mental illness gets regarded as something you just 'get over' or that you're just being weak...drives me mad that society doesn't have a better understanding and em sympathy for want of a much better word i cant think of right now.

What Gillo said. It's no where near as bad as you'll expect it to be first time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Gillo wrote: »

Have been inpatient for a few weeks. Any questions feel free to ask or to pm.
    Making the decision was the hardest part for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Likewise degausser, if you've any questions about hospital feel free to send a PM my way.

neemish wrote: »
    Have been inpatient for a few weeks. Any questions feel free to ask or to pm.
    Making the decision was the hardest part for me.

Hope you are finding it as good as I did.
    It is nerve wrecking going in, but you'll find it great. The other patients tend to be quite friendly and once you get to know them you'll have the most amazing friendships, I found because we all knew we were in the with similar "issues" they was both no hiding anything and no judging, I was Gillo, I had depression and had attempted to kill myself and no one held that against me.
    The level of care from staff is also great, not just from the psychiatrist's, but the nurses, catering staff etc.

Seriously, as I said it's nerve-racking going in, but it's the best thing you will ever do. I remember the first time I was admitted, my parents brought me and and were arguing about how to get to the hospital (turn left or right), and me sitting in the back of the car thinking, "I'm getting locked in a mental hospital at 3:00 in the morning and all you f&*kers can do is argue about turning left or right". Yeah it was scary but looking back it's awful funny now.

Why, not contact the admissions office and ask can they send you out an information booklet or something.

Mood luckily isn't too bad although I'm about to try giving up the cigarettes, so no idea how the mood is going to go, actually I'd say it's gonna drop but hoping its not too bad.

I've been distracted all weekend by my new game console, so it was ok :) I had my birthday on saturday, but I was so down all day, felt like bursting into tears all day :/
    Day 2.

@ cloud493

Know how you feel, was feeling kinda numb/nothing all day, then all of a sudden got on a run of thought and now there's been tears sitting in my eyes for the last three hours. :( What (nearly) made me laugh is i'm nearly in tears because i was thinking about thinking - i f*****g hate when i'm this stupid, tiniest thing can drop me. The dog better be prepared for ranting later! :o

Looked at tumblr >.< should't have really. Some bad images on there. Surprised that site is even legal

@ cloud493

Know how you feel, was feeling kinda numb/nothing all day, then all of a sudden got on a run of thought and now there's been tears sitting in my eyes for the last three hours. :( What (nearly) made me laugh is i'm nearly in tears because i was thinking about thinking - i f*****g hate when i'm this stupid, tiniest thing can drop me. The dog better be prepared for ranting later! :o

Not teary but the same for me today. Was flat, trending low, then some negative thoughts and I started ruminating, very low, very fast. Broke it with some meditation and got back on track but 6 months ago that'd have spelt a very, very miserable night for me in store.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Looked at tumblr >.< should't have really. Some bad images on there. Surprised that site is even legal

Must... resist... urge... to... Google...

Must... resist... urge... to... Google...

Just did however need to register to use it - safe for now :)

• Advertisement

was feeling kinda numb/nothing all day, then all of a sudden got on a run of thought and now there's been tears sitting in my eyes for the last three hours. :( What (nearly) made me laugh is i'm nearly in tears because i was thinking about thinking - i f*****g hate when i'm this stupid, tiniest thing can drop me. The dog better be prepared for ranting later! :o

You any better now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement