Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stuck in a bus lane today

Options
  • 14-02-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

Ever get stuck driving down a bus lane and it's not really your fault and everyone is eyeing the bejesus out of ya? Had an experience today outside Marley park where I under took a car onto the bus lane because he stopped to turn right, but I did not realise the road ahead of him was full of traffic so I was forced to drive down the bus lane getting the look of several drivers before stopping at the front. I was so embarressed I took the nearest left turn and stayed there till the traffic moved off.....But jeez I got some stick but I did it with good intentions...Sorry to the other drivers heading down towards Marley park today seeing a black lancer "appearing" to take the piss...But honestly that was not my intention at all....:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

mondeo wrote: »
    Ever get stuck driving down a bus lane and it's not really your fault and everyone is eyeing the bejesus out of ya? Had an experience today outside Marley park where I under took a car onto the bus lane because he stopped to turn right, but I did not realise the road ahead of him was full of traffic so I was forced to drive down the bus lane getting the look of several drivers before stopping at the front. I was so embarressed I took the nearest left turn and stayed there till the traffic moved off.....But jeez I got some stick but I did it with good intentions...Sorry to the other drivers heading down towards Marley park today seeing a black lancer "appearing" to take the piss...But honestly that was not my intention at all....:eek:

you could have pulled back in directly in front of the guy turning right, or was there a bus/taxi right behind you?

Not that I really care you were in a bus lane. Also, I though most bus lanes were non operational on a Sunday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's Sunday, you can drive in a bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

you could have pulled back in directly in front of the guy turning right, or was there a bus/taxi right behind you?

Not that I really care you were in a bus lane. Also, I though most bus lanes were non operational on a Sunday

I could not pull directly in front of him as he was right behind someone as he was turning right and I had no room to move back in. There was no bus behind me or anything but in the moment I was in I had to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Not having a go at you but could you not have just waited for him to make his right turn considering you said there was traffic queued in front of him?

At the end of the bus lane I was forced to move back into the normal lane because of the design of the junction and thats where the abuse started... I actually did not know you could use bus lanes on Sundays, the others did not know either by the probably deserved abuse I was getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

Not if the Bus lane is 24 x 7, which a lot of them are. As per previous post though, why could the OP not just pull directly in after undertaking the right turning car? Would have avoided the whole a-hole in the bus lane incident ... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

Not them all, you need to check the signs as a lot of them are 24/7.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not having a go at you but could you not have just waited for him to make his right turn considering you said there was traffic queued in front of him?

He said he didn't realise there was traffic in front of the bus.

@magicmarker, not all bus lanes are free for alls on Sundays.

bazz26 wrote: »

From my line of vision it appeared to me that I had enough room to move back in but in reality I did not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

He couldn't see the traffic in front of the car he undertook. Despite the fact there was no room between it and the car in front of it for him to pull in.

Observation FAIL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭phoebe!

Lots of people don't read the times for Bus Lanes and I often get evil looks when I am legally driving in them!! Thats their problem not mine...read the signs!

nipplenuts wrote: »
    He couldn't see the traffic in front of the car he undertook. Despite the fact there was no room between it and the car in front of it for him to pull in.

Observation FAIL.

possibly but I am only human....the point of the thread was to point out that I did not deliberately ride the bus lane regardless of any observation failures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Robb

Dont worry about its not too bad ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭grudgebringer

Then why didn't you indicate immediately to return to the correct lane instead of travelling the length of the bus lane ... it was that which got you the 'looks' not the fact that you undertook the car .... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

hardly crime of the century!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

samsemtex wrote: »

It's a gateway crime. The OP has had the rush of lawlessness, who knows what he'll do next.

Then why didn't you indicate immediately to return to the correct lane instead of travelling the length of the bus lane ... it was that which got you the 'looks' not the fact that you undertook the car .... :rolleyes:

I could have done but I didn't, I have a progressive mind sometimes..:rolleyes:

Stekelly wrote: »
    It's a gateway crime. The OP has had the rush of lawlessness, who knows what he'll do next.

I'm going to break the 30kph zone in city centre tommarow, foot to the floor 35kph going over the bridge :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭remotesensor

That buslane is "not in use" anyway, so dont be worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

phoebe! wrote: »
    Lots of people don't read the times for Bus Lanes and I often get evil looks when I am legally driving in them!! Thats their problem not mine...read the signs!

Agree completely, its amazing the amount of times you see a long queue of traffic in 1 lane and an out of hours bus lane competely empty, i find that really annoying

Does anyone have any number on the amount of bus lanes that are 24-7 compared to those that aren't?? In my experience the majority are not 24-7 but that is only my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The bus lanes on the grange road aren't operational yet.

It's not your fault if other people don't realise that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Agree completely, its amazing the amount of times you see a long queue of traffic in 1 lane and an out of hours bus lane competely empty, i find that really annoying

Does anyone have any number on the amount of bus lanes that are 24-7 compared to those that aren't?? In my experience the majority are not 24-7 but that is only my experience

Any new bus lane that gets created is 24/7 (thankfully).

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Any new bus lane that gets created is 24/7 (thankfully).

Why thankfully?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

samsemtex wrote: »

Exactly, but as usual the guy will get vilified by some members of this forum even though I very much doubt they are perfect drivers themselves :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Tipp Man wrote: »

thats actually one of the circumstances i love! Nthing better than driving past a long line of traffic through the bus lane (when entitled to - out of hours of the sign)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Why thankfully?

Much safer for emergency vehicles to use empty bus lanes rather than driving on the wrong side of the road towards oncoming traffic.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

your fault

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Much safer for emergency vehicles to use empty bus lanes rather than driving on the wrong side of the road towards oncoming traffic.:cool:

Is that much of an issue do you think?

My own opinion would be that during non bus traffic hours it is safer anyway because cars can nip out of the bus lane alot more easily than a double decker can anyway so that isn't the best of reasons.

In agreement with the above, there are so many people who don't read signs, and thanks to them I have nice free bus lanes to zip up and down of a sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

seamus wrote: »
    The bus lanes on the grange road aren't operational yet.

It's not your fault if other people don't realise that.

Despite the sign that says "bus lane not in use".

I use bus lanes outside the hours of operation quite a bit (afaik, keep left rule applies once the bus lane becomes a normal lane) and most of the time don't have problems, but you do get the idiot who hasn't read the sign and decides to make an issue of it.

In regards, to the OP's case: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's legal to pull into the bus lane at any time if you're blocked by a car turning right in front of you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Max Power1 wrote: »
    thats actually one of the circumstances i love! Nthing better than driving past a long line of traffic through the bus lane (when entitled to - out of hours of the sign)

But then you sit at the Yield sign while all the cars you undertook go past. I am fairly certain there's a yield instruction at the end of every bus lane - not that you'd want to challenge a taxi to right of way there.

Advertisement