Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will it take me to get a 6 pack by following this fitness regime?

Options
  • 14-02-2010 9:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭

I plan to do 15 minutes on the treadmill to burn a bit of fat before doing 50 sit ups. Then I'll go on my usual muscle building regime in the gym before hitting the treadmill for another 15 minutes followed by another 50 sit ups. If I was to do this at least once a week, aided of course by a healthy diet, how long would it take before I develop a 6 pack?

If it helps, I'm just under 5'9 and around 68 kilos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

I plan to do 15 minutes on the treadmill to burn a bit of fat before doing 50 sit ups. Then I'll go on my usual muscle building regime in the gym before hitting the treadmill for another 15 minutes followed by another 50 sit ups. If I was to do this at least once a week, aided of course by a healthy diet, how long would it take before I develop a 6 pack?

its actually impossible to answer that. the 15 minutes could be easy jogging or HIIT or something in between. the muscle building regeime could be anything and we have no idea what the healthy diet consists of. your starting position would also make a difference i.e. is that a proposed routine or something you have been following for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Mental_Legend

corkcomp wrote: »
    its actually impossible to answer that. the 15 minutes could be easy jogging or HIIT or something in between. the muscle building regeime could be anything and we have no idea what the healthy diet consists of. your starting position would also make a difference i.e. is that a proposed routine or something you have been following for a while.
    I usually set the treadmill to 10.0, no incline. I lift around 7kg in each hand with weights and on the machines I usually do 50kg. Healthy diet is 5 fruit and vegetables a day, meals at morning, lunch and dinner and rare snacking. And this is just a proposed routine that I plan to start next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭beegirl

It will take 3 months, 17 days and 5 hours ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

I usually set the treadmill to 10.0, no incline. I lift around 7kg in each hand with weights and on the machines I usually do 50kg. Healthy diet is 5 fruit and vegetables a day, meals at morning, lunch and dinner and rare snacking. And this is just a proposed routine that I plan to start next week.

What specific exercises do you do??
    What exactly do you eat?

injured365 wrote: »
    What specific exercises do you do??
    What exactly do you eat?
    Treadmill and weights are pretty self explanatory. With the machines, I do 5 sets of 10 reps on 50kg.

For breakfast I have a bowl of cereal. I have a sandwich and an apple for lunch and for dinner I have potatoes and meat, usually chicken or fish. I sometimes have toast or an apple for supper

• Advertisement

Treadmill and weights are pretty self explanatory. With the machines, I do 5 sets of 10 reps on 50kg.

For breakfast I have a bowl of cereal. I have a sandwich and an apple for lunch and for dinner I have potatoes and meat, usually chicken or fish. I sometimes have toast or an apple for supper

Ehhh do you know how many different machines and exercises there are out there?????:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

No-one will be able to answer that question for you. A better question might be to ask...how to achieve those goals?

And in posting your stats and daily diet in more detail others may be able to point you in the right direction of getting there.

injured365 wrote: »
    Ehhh do you know how many different machines and exercises there are out there?????:confused::confused:
    The one I mainly use is the one where you're sitting down and you have your arms out, with 90 degree angles at your elbows. Then you hold the handles and move your arms in front of you and back to your side. That's really the only one I use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If it was me, i would start a clean bulk. focus on building a healthy diet and increasing the amount of good cals you eat. Combine this with a compound based workout. Hit the big muscle groups, legs, back, chest, shoulders. If you follow this until end of may you could then try and cut away some fat, which would allow you to get mr 6pack.

op your diet isnt as good as you might think. the chest press machine along wont do much to give you abs. focus on compounds but the main thing should be progression so the 50kg should be rising monthly and / or number or reps completed. if you are only planning on starting next week then go ahead and report back after a month .. just keep diet clean and lifts heavy ..

• Advertisement

corkcomp wrote: »
    op your diet isnt as good as you might think. the chest press machine along wont do much to give you abs. focus on compounds but the main thing should be progression so the 50kg should be rising monthly and / or number or reps completed. if you are only planning on starting next week then go ahead and report back after a month .. just keep diet clean and lifts heavy ..
    What would you suggest to improve my diet?

What would you suggest to improve my diet?

breakfast; Porridge, fruit like berries & apples & pears etc or scrambled eggs.
    snacks: apples, small handful nuts. oat cakes,
    lunch: little whole meal bread and lots of salad, meat or fish, fruit
    dinner: LOTS of vegetables, jacket potato (not mashed with load of crap) red meat or chicken / turkey. or spaghetti bologneise with lots of chopped veg and wholemeal pasta
    snacks: as above, some cottage chese.

if you get the diet nailed down and make sure your lifts are going up then your on the right track and you can worry about fine tuning later ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

JJayoo wrote: »
    If it was me, i would start a clean bulk. focus on building a healthy diet and increasing the amount of good cals you eat. Combine this with a compound based workout. Hit the big muscle groups, legs, back, chest, shoulders. If you follow this until end of may you could then try and cut away some fat, which would allow you to get mr 6pack.

+1 on this, you can't really build muscle while on a diet, so for the moment id look to keep the diet clean but increase the number of cals you take in.
    Look to build muscle all over, to do this forget the machines and start doing squats, chin ups, bench press etc.. along with a bit of stomach work (you don't have to go mad on the stomach).
    Your extra muscle will increase your metabolism, now cut your calories early in the summer to cut body fat, if done right you'll be left with a 6 pack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Nervouspriest

Get your body fat measured in the gym with calipers.

You should try and get your body fat to 10% or lower before starting to work on a 'six pack'.

You should try and get your body fat to 10% or lower before starting to work on a 'six pack'.

Do you not think it would be easier to build the muscle then cut than cutting first then trying to build. He may gain bodyfat while building if he cuts first but he concentrates on building the muscle first he'll build it easier then the extra muscle will help him cut faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

So in order to get a six-pack you have to first INCREASE the amount you eat first, work-out and build and then cut fat via cardio & calorie deficit?

I don't lift big, i just do some EZ curls, bench press, back work, ab work such as planks, and a good bit of cardio, and i am now trying to cut the calorie count and include things like eggs for breakfast and chicken for dinner, but this would be the wrong way to go about it?

I would be just worried if i upped the amount of food as i dont do big lifts like squats etc. i would've though a decent calorie deficit diet combined with cardio and some free weights would have been enough to get that flat stomach "toned" look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Nervouspriest

colly10 wrote: »
    Do you not think it would be easier to build the muscle then cut than cutting first then trying to build. He may gain bodyfat while building if he cuts first but he concentrates on building the muscle first he'll build it easier then the extra muscle will help him cut faster

I am just saying what works for me.

My six pack is coming on though. I do crunchs and oblique exercises three times a week. Look on youtube OP there is some very good ab and oblique workouts. I also do a lot of cardio and weights, not too heavy a weight as I don't want the big bulky bouncer look, and thats not the look most people are aiming for.

I just know that it would be very difficult to get a 6 pack if your body fat is much above 10%. I was 11% about a month ago and have been training really hard as I want to be between 7-9%, any less and I wouldn't look well!! Getting it checked again later this week.

I have changed my diet completly over the past month or so. Its been very hard and boring and harder than the training. Not drinking like I used to but still have a few pints every second week or so...main point though is to try and cut out alcohal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You're wasting time if you're not doing the big lifts. Or, in other words, your not optimising your time in the gym to get the most bang for your buck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

OP, what you REALLY need to do, bar anything else, is realise that a six pack is just a layer of small muscles beneath your skin. It in no way represents fitness, strength or anything worth having. If you're a man, and you weigh less than 70kgs, then you have too little muscle. You need to get more.

Start by learning how to lift weights. Not weights that are bolted onto machines, weights that can damage you if you drop them. Put them on your back and bend your knees, pick them up off the floor repeatedly, push them over your head.

Remember that the area for sit ups in the gym is only ever populated by metrosexuals. Only go there if you want to rub yourself off the aftershave they've rubbed onto the mats they've been lying on and claim it as your own. (a recesion busting idea)

"Crunches" are noises made when eating food. They are not a stomach exercise.

It's not a six pack if your stomach is concave. If your mate goes around and flashes his 59kg frame at the ladies, mock him. Mock him with impunity. Then challenge him to a contest which should involve throwing, jumping and wrestling. When you have bested him, see who the ladies like then. I have to tell you that they'll probably still like him, but that's because girls are idiots. Take comfort in the knowledge that in Viking times, he would be scrubbing barnacles off your longboat while you would be pillaging, though not raping which as we all know was bad bad bad.

johnn wrote: »
    So in order to get a six-pack you have to first INCREASE the amount you eat first, work-out and build and then cut fat via cardio & calorie deficit?

I don't lift big, i just do some EZ curls, bench press, back work, ab work such as planks, and a good bit of cardio, and i am now trying to cut the calorie count and include things like eggs for breakfast and chicken for dinner, but this would be the wrong way to go about it?

I would be just worried if i upped the amount of food as i dont do big lifts like squats etc. i would've though a decent calorie deficit diet combined with cardio and some free weights would have been enough to get that flat stomach "toned" look?

Ye thats what worked for me, I increased calories and lifted doing the body all over, I never really added more than about 1% (2 at most) to my bodyfat then when I stopped eating loads the abs became visable. You don't really have to do a load of stomach work either, it doesn't take much to build stomach muscle I think it's easier to build muscle all over on the right diet.

People have also said to me before and it's something I believe is that if you want to build muscle anywhere work all over, like if all you want to do is build a chest then that doesn't mean you should ignore your legs.
    I know people who only want bigger arms and did little other than curls and work triceps and I seen that I built my arms easier than them by working all over despite never working my arms in isolation.

So id say increase the calories a little, build a little all over then cut the bodyfat

• Advertisement

OP, what you REALLY need to do, bar anything else, is realise that a six pack is just a layer of small muscles beneath your skin. It in no way represents fitness, strength or anything worth having. If you're a man, and you weigh less than 70kgs, then you have too little muscle. You need to get more.

Start by learning how to lift weights. Not weights that are bolted onto machines, weights that can damage you if you drop them. Put them on your back and bend your knees, pick them up off the floor repeatedly, push them over your head.

Remember that the area for sit ups in the gym is only ever populated by metrosexuals. Only go there if you want to rub yourself off the aftershave they've rubbed onto the mats they've been lying on and claim it as your own. (a recesion busting idea)

"Crunches" are noises made when eating food. They are not a stomach exercise.

It's not a six pack if your stomach is concave. If your mate goes around and flashes his 59kg frame at the ladies, mock him. Mock him with impunity. Then challenge him to a contest which should involve throwing, jumping and wrestling. When you have bested him, see who the ladies like then. I have to tell you that they'll probably still like him, but that's because girls are idiots. Take comfort in the knowledge that in Viking times, he would be scrubbing barnacles off your longboat while you would be pillaging, though not raping which as we all know was bad bad bad.

That should be on the wall of every gym!!!

Advertisement