Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promoting Airsoft

Options
  • 14-02-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I am trying to get people interested in Airsoft because I am setting up an Skirmish site. Theres very few people in my area that even know what Airsoft is never mind played it, so what I want to do is promote Airsoft it a positive light so I don't attract the handbag wagers.

I have thought about printing up posters and flyers and targeting places that would not be frequented by people that would be inclined to campaign against Airsoft. I know theres quite a few people here that would strongly disagree with this approach but thats the reason i'm here. I what to know what y'all think about this approach as well as any ideas you may have yourself's that I could use.

If I stick up a few posters promoting a skirmish site in my local and a few other places, am I going the wrong way about it?. At the end of the day if I am going to get the site up and running I need a means of promoting it to the local community. I need the site to have a steady income and the only way I can see of generating this is by attracting customers, and the only way I can attract customers in by advertising in some shape or form.

Another issue is how do you give Airsoft a visual representation in a poster without making it look like a recruitment campaign for some fringe paramilitary group?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Brabazone wrote: »
    I am trying to get people interested in Airsoft because I am setting up an Skirmish site. Theres very few people in my area that even know what Airsoft is never mind played it, so what I want to do is promote Airsoft it a positive light so I don't attract the handbag wagers.

I have thought about printing up posters and flyers and targeting places that would not be frequented by people that would be inclined to campaign against Airsoft. I know theres quite a few people here that would strongly disagree with this approach but thats the reason i'm here. I what to know what y'all think about this approach as well as any ideas you may have yourself's that I could use.

If I stick up a few posters promoting a skirmish site in my local and a few other places, am I going the wrong way about it?. At the end of the day if I am going to get the site up and running I need a means of promoting it to the local community. I need the site to have a steady income and the only way I can see of generating this is by attracting customers, and the only way I can attract customers in by advertising in some shape or form.

Another issue is how do you give Airsoft a visual representation in a poster without making it look like a recruitment campaign for some fringe paramilitary group?.

Get yourself a graphic designer who understands the sport and the community as well as the trouble of interacting with the world of public opinion.

There are a few of them about - like me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I know we dont like to be associated with paintball BUT the two sports do share the common problem if to different extents..... public perception.

Paintball has seemed to have over come that so possibly look at some paintballing sites advertisements and follow some ideas they use?

I know in Limerick combat zone paintball site had a big push alright, they used 4x6 double sided flyers on counter tops in shops and even had a hilux painted in cammo with the logo drive around. Even canvasing businesses for company days out in your area thats if you could supply rentals for them? Summer time and team building events like that like outdoors things in the fine weather....worth a look maybe.

Anyway here is combat zones site an has a few good ideas, things like the warning style banner being used is not associated really with military but does grab attention. Pics showing the safety gear being used is also good to put across the image of it being responsible and at the same time not being pics of military use.

http://www.combatzone.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

the more the better. having this debate with several people at the mo. advertisment for our fair sport needs to be stepped up a notch. nobody tooting a gun or anything but a radio advert or billboards telling people of the site or flyers or a free test game. there are lots of ideas that you could use to market airsoft. choose wisely cus public preception is a huge factor because we use replica toys not the real thing a fat lost on most of the public.

even small things like use of the word "game" in any advertisements helps.
    Maybe saying something like "safety equipment supplied" or along those lines would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

From past experience with this thread and the feedback given , if you want to promote airsoft , you should make contact with the IAA .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

No offence but alot of the people suggesting "marketing" the sport weren't around when Joe Duffy and the "I got my window shot in with an airsoft gun" crew were crucifying the sport.

An advert in a newspaper for MIA's Cork shop led to a radio show where a doctor rang in claiming he had removed an "airsoft pellet" embedded in someones arm, turned out it was an air rifle pellet, but I'm sure there were people who didn't even listen to anymore ater "it was embedded in his arm" and so got a negative view of airsoft, this is just an example of how an innocent ad can be twisted.

People were hearing about how airsofts fire "pellets", straightaway they think "metal, dangerous, kill" then someone would defend airsoft and say the bbs were plastic and harmless but these people were sitting in the corner still rocking back and forth "kill...dangerous...metal".

As you can see no matter how harmless you make airsoft out to be some will still take the "OMGZ" spin on it.

I know we try to distance ourselves from real steel but on this matter they're comparable, they're vunerable to Joe Duffy and the "think of the children" brigades like we are, they don't go around on parade floats and stick leaflets everywhere, they just keep their heads low and let the sport grow naturally, with the people joining choosing to listen to reason about the sport not the "omgz" people. So should we, the sport will grow through word of mouth.

Parades etc putting airsoft out to the masses will only give the "omgz" crew a name to put on their mad ramblings, next time somebody is shot with an air rifle they'll think "ah it was those airsoft gunz!!! Dangerous things, will kill someone!!" and spread their ramblings to their friends and to Liveline which we certainly don't want to be on again.

*Feel free to dissect this as you will, I've said my piece:)

don't be afraid of poor auld joe. i know what your saying but i still stick by me first post and my thinkng that airsoft adverts do not need to centre around the gun factor. i think everybody against adverts for airsoft think oh no we can't have guns in public well we all know that but we surely can tell people about our sport as the paint ballers do, the use actual firearms as per the criminal justice act and the one joule limit, they do not bring their guns with them but they still go down the shopping centres and advertise and i will say it again ADVERTISE THEIR SPORT. as should we

• Registered Users Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    don't be afraid of poor auld joe. i know what your saying but i still stick by me first post and my thinkng that airsoft adverts do not need to centre around the gun factor. i think everybody against adverts for airsoft think oh no we can't have guns in public well we all know that but we surely can tell people about our sport as the paint ballers do, the use actual firearms as per the criminal justice act and the one joule limit, they do not bring their guns with them but they still go down the shopping centres and advertise and i will say it again ADVERTISE THEIR SPORT. as should we

But paintball is relatively safe and established we're still on a knife edge and probably always will be, the difference between paintball and airsoft is that the second someone is shot with an air rifle, the bad news usually lands on our doorstep not paintball's because there sport is seen as "fun, happy, not dangerous" our's is perceived as "military, training, real looking guns".

There is no comparison that can be made between paintball and airsoft marketing--none. Their sport is seen as more public friendly nd fun because your splattering paint all over people whereas we're shooting each other with the dreaded "pellets" from real looking guns.

Can I ask what qualifies you as the de facto expert on these matters - y'know, ahead of everyone else whos been at it longer, knows the history, has spoken with the authorities, run stalls at events, published promotional material, dealt with the press, appeared on the radio, tackled the politicians and knows the context of advertising/promotion from experience and education?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

...they do not bring their guns with them but they still go down the shopping centres and advertise and i will say it again ADVERTISE THEIR SPORT. as should we

You've hit the nail on the head with this. Paintball is a HUGE money making sport. I've been told typical turnover on a paintball site over a weekend and I couldnt believe my ears.:eek:

It's all about the $$$. Hence the promotion and marketing...

The IAA are and should be the main element promoting airsoft in Ireland - in a considered, controlled and careful way.
    Sure, sites and shops can advertise and promote airsoft - but many people forget or are unaware how close we were to being totally banned just a number of months ago.

Airsoft in Ireland is in it's infancy. We need to learn to walk before we try run and more importantly - we need to keep our noses clean and prove that we can play and control our sport with responsibility and maturity.

Cantact the guys in the IAA and when there's an event like Salute or a competition - please volunteer and lend a helping hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

You've hit the nail on the head with this. Paintball is a HUGE money making sport. I've been told typical turnover on a paintball site over a weekend and I couldnt believe my ears.:eek:

It's all about the $$$. Hence the promotion and marketing...

The IAA are and should be the main element promoting airsoft in Ireland - in a considered, controlled and careful way.
    Sure, sites and shops can advertise and promote airsoft - but many people forget or are unaware how close we were to being totally banned just a number of months ago.

Airsoft in Ireland is in it's infancy. We need to learn to walk before we try run and more importantly - we need to keep our noses clean and prove that we can play and control our sport with responsibility and maturity.

Cantact the guys in the IAA and when there's an event like Salute or a competition - please volunteer and lend a helping hand.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 34,708 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just a preemptive 'keep it civil' folks. I can see this one going arseways if it's not kept in check.

/Watches thread closely.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you were to advertise I'd say get leaflets into games shops. I realise that we don't need more COD4/6 trained players on the skirmish field but the reality is thats a place where we wont get any objections. If you walk into any Game for example, 90% of the covers have guns/gore on the cover, nobody will object to a few more:)

If you were to advertise I'd say get leaflets into games shops. I realise that we don't need more COD4/6 trained players on the skirmish field but the reality is thats a place where we wont get any objections. If you walk into any Game for example, 90% of the covers have guns/gore on the cover, nobody will object to a few more:)

Def agree there, you'll need to market this both appropriately and to the correct audience. Ok so putting up with some a typical COD players in a skirmish may be a pain BUT if they stick with it eventually they will calm down and you'll have some regulars out of it. Look at the strengths of the sport, its VERY addictive so if they come back one more time they are in. These guys are already interested in team based play with "weapons" so to speak so the hard work is done.

in regards to company days as the summers coming up and the company staple of paintballing could be a way in. Ring up local firms, ask if they would like some litriture on your new site, use the old "Like paintball but better" and sell yer soul but once they are in the door you'll find the people who would traditionally be the Joe Duffy callers are now playing on your site. Thing about these days are is they usually talk about them afterward generating their own awareness and word of mouth advertisement. Key to a site getting regulars and changing perception will be to get people in and playing that normally wouldnt and here is one way in. Stags, hens, birthdays are all more opertunities to look into.

Schools are also another idea, typically transition years will be looking for activity days for students (I know mine was). Call the schools, speak to the principals and email on an e brochure. Instant buss load of revenue arriving at your site mid week quiet period and more importantly a far higher thn normal chance of repeat business not only from the school but the teens also.

Your kids are 4-10 great, playworld stuff is the order of the day.... but what when they get older? Those same curtain twitchers will inevitably be worried about johnny teen bush drinkin on his birthday so if you give her a non naff activity to get him doing that day instead of anything else suddenly she's off the phone to Duffy and actually promoting your site and more importantly handing you over cash.

Of coarse a lot of this requires rentals available but if you seriously want to establish and get new faces in to build a customer base then you need to get 1st timers in the door. By their nature they wont have their own gear so .....build it and they will come.

I'd stay clear of official involving schools. Getting 16-18s yes, but not via the school. They wont want the association. Also, if you get a class group you're more likely to have problems with people messing and over the top rivalry between different groups. Also, few teachers would be willing to do it(that said, a group from our school went PBing and a teacher was by far the most energetic player). I think the trick is to get smaller groups of lads(realistically like) who all know each other and let them start off playing alongside each other, thats gonna give them the best overall experience. How to rope em in the first place is the main problem, bit of a rant above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Word of mouth is the easiest, cheapest and most reliable way to sell our concept of airsoft. 1 to 1 education. Talk, listen and talk somemore. If they are really interested they will give it a go, if not then they won't.
    Talk to your friend's and family, they in turn will talk to their's. It will gain a slow, but gradual momentum. Remember this isn't everyone's cup of tea, some just want to plink, others skirmish and some just are not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

i think you've just got a brilliant idea. coming from a gaming background, i can certainly say that online gamers and gamers in general are a huge part of the future for airsoft. looking at the huge expansion of gamers in Ireland, there is a vast set of niches in gaming and who are all dying for a new gaming experience. Once they try airsoft.. man, they are not gonnna want to go back!

get the leaflets done, i will personally visit every single gaming store in Dublin and get them put on the counter and those who know me from the gaming world in Ireland will know.. I WOULD get it done :)

Just no WOW players OK? We have enough trouble with just one of them:eek:

Leaflets have 2 main drawbacks from where I'm sitting.
    1) Cost,
    2) Leaflets become litter, airsofters' will be seen as litter louts ( our leaflets, not nesscessarily us littering though ). Carpet bombing campaigns from other avenues have ruined that possibility.

How many leaflets would you need, how many would reel in new players, how many would be forgotten about & binned?

Not having a go, it's not a cost effective way to educate potential players.

1) Cost,
    2) Leaflets become litter, airsofters' will be seen as litter louts ( our leaflets, not nesscessarily us littering though ). Carpet bombing campaigns from other avenues have ruined that possibility.

How many leaflets would you need, how many would reel in new players, how many would be forgotten about & binned?

well, i know i could print off a **** load in work. about 20-30 leaflets into say 100 gaming outlets on their counters, so they dont become that much litter. thats not even a ream of paper. sh1t, i could print them off myself.

im not suggesting carpet bombing, im saying that could i convince the gaming outlets to take them on and promote with like minded gamers.

• Advertisement

MindPhuck wrote: »
    well, i know i could print off a **** load in work. about 20-30 leaflets into say 100 gaming outlets on their counters, so they dont become that much litter. thats not even a ream of paper. sh1t, i could print them off myself.

im not suggesting carpet bombing, im saying that could i convince the gaming outlets to take them on and promote with like minded gamers.

As in drop in a leaflet with every purchase. That may work.

1) Cost,

Its called market targetting. You dont blitz locations that arent good candidates for recruitment. In other words, chuch fetes, car parks, train stations etc are certainly not good locations. Web cafe's which hold gaming nights, LARP events like Gaelcon/Vaticon etc, events like Salute are precisely the right environments.

Leaflets, for the most part, are badly done. Most people dont bother putting the proper investment into them. Poor, inaccuarte or too little information. No narrative to the layout. Too many fonts. Too few colours. The greatest of all sins being "no reason to keep the damn thing" - ie a lack of phone numbers, useful websites, email details etc. Give people a reason to have them and rely oin the passive collection of the item rather than pushing it into their hands and you'll see dividends from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭citizenken

It's all about public perception,and the general perception in conservative Ireland is that we are barlely legal if at all, we need to be patient, and build the reputation of the sport as a responsible and healthy activity if there any advertising angles to explore it would be the health benefits airsoft brings, we all know how much effort is required to get through a day's skirmishing.Paintball has been adopted by the corporate world as one of their favourite team building and general blowout excercises, airsoft could never fill that niche,nor would I personally want it to, airsoft needs to be careful as there are a lot of people out there who would love to see it dead in the water.:D

Give people a reason to have them and rely oin the passive collection of the item rather than pushing it into their hands and you'll see dividends from it.

yeah, we put a voucher on it for a days gaming at any of the 'participating sites' in the advertisment on the leaflet.

Can I ask what qualifies you as the de facto expert on these matters - y'know, ahead of everyone else whos been at it longer, knows the history, has spoken with the authorities, run stalls at events, published promotional material, dealt with the press, appeared on the radio, tackled the politicians and knows the context of advertising/promotion from experience and education?

I never said i was an expert on anything. get your head out of your arse. I was symply saying that i feel.do you hear that i feel this is my opinion not gospel MY OPINION. that airsoft could use a little more marketing even if it s just to increase awareness with the public so they are not afraid of us. is that ok with you hivemind or does it clash with your delicate sensibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just a preemptive 'keep it civil' folks. I can see this one going arseways if it's not kept in check.

/Watches thread closely.

I never said i was an expert on anything. get your head out of your arse. I was symply saying that i feel.do you hear that i feel this is my opinion not gospel MY OPINION. that airsoft could use a little more marketing even if it s just to increase awareness with the public so they are not afraid of us. is that ok with you hivemind or does it clash with your delicate sensibilities.

Everyone was already warned to be civil, you seem to be the only one having problems doing so. For that you can have a 3 day ban.

In future, remember, attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

As someone who's been involved in the promotion of the sport, and been around to see when it goes wrong, I agree that targetted events such as Salute are definitely the best way to "advertise" airsoft.

Broad advertising and promotion doesn't work for what is a niche activity.

Targetting gamers is definitely a good idea and a perfect example of a market that is likely to have an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mobprop667

Being the public relations officer for the IAA, myself and the chairperson have been working on a lot of different things to help promote the sport. While the IAA is tasked with governing the sport in general, it is also up to the individual clubs, sites, and teams to help promote.
    The IAA is more than willing to help promote an event, by lending guidance, experience and know how.

I personally have a few things on the go at the moment, but i am not prepared to try to get a television spot or radio interview, which takes a lot of coordination for a skirmish involving 8 people.

for those sites out there that want to get more people, try creating an event or a special day for the public. the Southeast Airsofters club had a few open days in the beginning that greatly increased thier numbers and brought a new interest to airsoft in the southeast.

events like the duncannon military festival in the summer are great places to increase the exposure of the sport.
    The IAA can help promote the sport, but people arent going to join us if they have never even seen an aeg. the focus should be on individual sites to get people out there skirmishing, even if you take a loss on on saturday or sunday by offering an open day or free day, where people can come and try it out. what you lose on that one day, you will easilly make up in the future.
    The IAA comittee will be happy to make appearances at these events to help show that we are a legitimate sport, but we can not do everything for you.

If you have any ideas that you would like to run by me for advice or guidance, my email address is on the IAA website at www.irishairsoft.ie
    Cheers
    Kevin Weaver

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

kdouglas wrote: »
    Targetting gamers is definitely a good idea and a perfect example of a market that is likely to have an interest.

I would just like to add a caveat to the concept of targetting gaming shops. The leaflets need to be considered for their message and I would avoid certain types of gaming shop for one simple reason. Parents.

For example; I would avoid Games Workshop due to the extremely large number of young teens and their parents. Whilst the teens would be fine with it (they're gamers after all ...) but you are tempting fate with the numbers of parents present.

Game and the like; I'd consider too close to the "public interest" too. Lots of feet go through those doors on a given day and a lot of it is people who are either bored parents following kids or those who have been sent in to get something for someone else.

Gaming conventions are better though given the age demographic is generally older teens and upwards.

Anyway, my thoughts on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

if you were to target somewere,insdustrial estates would be the way to go,just like paintballers used to,say email the factory an ask if its ok to pop in some lunch time to chat about airsoft,and say maybe bring a smal;l flatscreen tv dvd combo,with the safety vid thats on youtube,and maybe ask scoutt would he allow you to show his videos in promotin airsoft,(its all in his videos,tells you everthing that is happin in game)then have a quick q an a,move on to next factory.(not sure bout this bit,you can let me know)if they wanna maybe try a toy then come back a 2nd time with masks an show how much distance and accuracy(damn spellin) they have over paintball,im sure a lot of them have played paintball,(all as long as the boss gave the ok,an were they are shown this is out of sight of joe duffy/public.
    cant hurt,can it?
    thanks for readin and puttin up with my bad spellin:)
    yet in sayin this i am still tryin to get a group of lads from work to try it(they said they'd love to,just the time of year:((the big babys)also have to ask site will they get a discount for a group bookin

Advertisement