Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to burn fat and gain muscle mass at the same time?

Options
  • 13-02-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Hey, I'm trying to gain muscle mass while losing fat at the same time. Am I working against myself here, as in would it better to concentrate on either burning fat or gaining muscle mass one at a time?

I'm 5'9'' and 90 kg. I currently do two weights sessions a week and some cardio on another day. At the moment, I'm not being especially watchful of my calorie intake, but am considering cutting it by approx. 15% in an effort to try to burn some fat.

My long term goal would be increased muscle mass, but in the short term I could do with getting rid of some fat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

A phrase i picked up(and am a bit of a hypocrite here at times)

"You can't out train a bad diet"

Everything else is for nothing unless you have a good general idea of what your Calorie intake is.

If you gain muscle, you will burn more fat long term.

More muscle means your BMR is higher. (Base Metabolic rate)
    ie. If you sit around doing nothing the muscle will eat more calories then fat.

If you gain muscle then it helps you attack your fat burning goal.

Something else to consider is that you need to monitor your body fat % over your weight.

If you loose 2lbs a week in fat and put on 1lbs of muscle(Random figures here). If you just measure your weight it will just look like a 1lb loss.

Im sure there are others who can advise you better and more specifically. The above is the general information i have picked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

depends on genetics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

is it possible to use the search button and then check the results afterward? and no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Of course its possible, but as someone else has already pointed out it mainly depends on your diet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

depends on genetics

what a stupid comment!

Train hard and eat healthy, research diets bodybuilding.com has a good source of them. Cut down on your carbs and get the protein into you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Have you read the Fitness basics sticky thread OP?

There is some useful stuff in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭mindaugelis

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

fitzgese wrote: »
    Hey, I'm trying to gain muscle mass while losing fat at the same time. Am I working against myself here, as in would it better to concentrate on either burning fat or gaining muscle mass one at a time?

I'm 5'9'' and 90 kg. I currently do two weights sessions a week and some cardio on another day. At the moment, I'm not being especially watchful of my calorie intake, but am considering cutting it by approx. 15% in an effort to try to burn some fat.

My long term goal would be increased muscle mass, but in the short term I could do with getting rid of some fat.

You can do both at the same time. Lift weights and you'll add some muscle, cutting out junk food and reducing calories will help you lose fat. Then the added muscle mass will help turbo charge your fat burning - as well as providing zillions of other benefits.

Just put in a good effort training and diet wise and you'll see the results fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Look for Hanley's training thread in the fitness logs. He has been losing bodyfat and hitting PRs....the bastarrd, only messing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

yes you can and focus on getting stronger, fitter and a clean diet and all will fall into place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭fitzgese

Cheers guys, thanks for the advice :)

Advertisement