Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War stories

Options
  • 13-02-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

According to stats...the majority of us have had at least one crash.
    What was your worst (most damaging to yourself)? what speed were you doing? and who's fault was it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Never crashed, fell off once, was the first rain after a dry period, was only riding the bike for 2 months, so was a total noob, went out to the red cow for this work thingy, got lost on the way home, it was also fairly dark, don't think i had riden at night before this.
    I ended up on the belgard road as was going a bit fast (for a noob on a 125) doin bout 60kph or 70kph, wasn't sure, but the lights ahead turned red, i hit the front break too hard and it slid out from beneath me, my knee hit first, was only in a pair of combats and had no gloves, had an armoured jacket thankfully so my arms and back came out spotless. Cut up my fingers a bit and took a big chunk outta my knee, this chap on a moped stopped to help me, he must've been about 40, he had loads of advice but can't remember what he said, got back on and rode home. The irony is that i had my gloves and armoured trousers in a bag on my back, retarded, i know. Since then i've had a few close calls, but never a crash, or falling off.
    The bike was alright, headlamp case and front break lever were scratched and i smashed up my indicator lens, no biggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Never crashed but dropped the bikes on sharp right turns twice. Misjudged the camber angle twice when parking and down I went, could not hold the bike up, most embarassing was trying to ride off at a crowded shopping centre with the disc lock still on :rolleyes:. Dropped the bike on sheet ice atop junct 13 on the M50 (so near work and yet so far). So its 5 offs on the old bike and 1 on the new :D

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

I don't do war stories!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

First time was when I was 16 leaving the girlfriends house at about 2am, ended up in a dich after coming off in really heavy rain on a country lane, nothing too serious but had a sore arm for a few days. Was on a Yamaha Aerox (50cc moped)

Then I came off after hitting a patch of diesel / oil in the rain, may as well been on ice. (CB400)

Next time I hit a patch of gravel on bend, slid for about forty feet but missed the ditch thankfully.(CB400).

Both times I came off on the CB400 I was in just jeans, road rash hurts :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No crash's in over a year. Doing advanced training very early on in my biking efforts has helped loads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

ah never crshed but came off the bike twice once cause of me being an idiot and the other cause of rain

basically i was driving home from work and took a different back road so i was coming up to an S bend so went round the 1st no prob then came the second and was extremely tight so i was doing about 80km/h so i was just like **** leaned over as far as i could and there was no stopping me and in i went to the ditch...... bike was grand and i just had a sore shoulder for a few days, worst thing was the two cars right behind me just kept driving on n left me for dead ahahah

second time was after a dry spelling of bout two months so i was coming up to the lights and the road had bout an inch of rain on it so my front tire went over a big patch of tar and my front wheel started to slip out from under me and i grabbed the front brake (i know worst thing that i could do ) and basically well the whole bike came from under me

well tha was in september and nothing since and i hope it will stay like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i used to be a courier

idiot pulled didn't stop atb a stop sign i flew 80 feet though i was ded imwas not ded

i acually planned to swing for her when she came over to see if i was ok but because i had a smashed up knee i fell instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jaak

had 2 slips on ice over 3 years, worst i came out with was ripped jeans and a bruised elbow

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

28th june last year,came over the crest of a hill that dipped down into a left hander,got on the anchors,chippings on the road,front tyre washed out on me.Went tarmac surfing for 30 yards,hit a pole.
    Wrote off the bike,broke T5 and T6 in my back,took 4 stones outta my elbow where the textile jacket wore through,in a back brace for 9 weeks and am still able to walk.
    Lesson learned,expect the unexpected.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

28th june last year,came over the crest of a hill that dipped down into a left hander,got on the anchors,chippings on the road,front tyre washed out on me.Went tarmac surfing for 30 yards,hit a pole.
    Wrote off the bike,broke T5 and T6 in my back,took 4 stones outta my elbow where the textile jacket wore through,in a back brace for 9 weeks and am still able to walk.

Ouch :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im biking 9 years and have had 2 major crashes, both due to negligence of the other driver. One resulted in minor damage to the bike, the other resulted in the bike being written off.

WRT the write off, a car driver broke a red light entered my lane (i.e. the wrong side of the road) and hit me practically head on as I was going through the junction. I was doing 30mph but didnt stand a chance. Fortunately the only injury I endured was muscle strain thanks to me being head to toe in protective gear.

The other instance was when a car driver changed lane without looking. Hit me side on.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

there's no sicker feeling than the front wheel washing out in front of you and that slow motion trip to the ground where on the way down you're thinking ....sh *t!! You were lucky....but some hottie nurses looking after you for a couple of weeks eased the pain ?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭goodlad

I wouldnt call mine a war story but i dropped the bike a while back.
    Damn cattle grates!!

It was just before a hard left turn so ya kinda need to start the turn on the cattle grate. Although, it was dark and i didnt notice the grate before it was too late.

The back wheel just went out, i swear the bike was slowly going over for an eternity in my mind! lol

The worse part was trying to pick the damn bike back up on my own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This is a real war story, got thrown over the bars of this WW2 dispatch bike when I hit a subsided roadworks in the 80ies I received 6 stitches to my chin and wrote off the forks. I didn't have an open face lid on at the time but If I had would have probably have broken my neck. :eek:

288s4xx.jpg

Other than that I broke my toe a few years ago on a more modern bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

whats is the difference between crashing and coming off the bike? I does be confused how a few of ye fell off your bikes but also claim to have not crashed?

seanybiker wrote: »
    whats is the difference between crashing and coming off the bike? I does be confused how a few of ye fell off your bikes but also claim to have not crashed?

Well i think the idea of a crash is in impact with another vehicle or immobile object, and falling off is just dropping the bike with no collision involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Xios wrote: »
    Well i think the idea of a crash is in impact with another vehicle or immobile object, and falling off is just dropping the bike with no collision involved.

I would normally classify a "crash" as hitting something, such as a third party or object and a "spill" as something like coming off on a slippery / gravel road or bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

it can sound stupid at times. i asked a lad before if the bike he was selling was ever crashed because it was non standard colours. he said "no, but i came off it 3 times". :confused:

it can sound stupid at times. i asked a lad before if the bike he was selling was ever crashed because it was non standard colours. he said "no, but i came off it 3 times". :confused:
    thats what I mean.
    If a crash is hitting a car or immobile object then that means I never crashed my bandit when I had it. I just fell off it and had to pay about 1500 to get her going again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

In 1990. Driving a Yamaha RD350YPVS on Griffith Ave.

A car pulled out in front of me, I'd no time to apply my brakes or take evasive action and he crashed into me.

My wife broke her neck, I got off with a few scrapes.

Other than that I'd had more accidents than I could possibly remember.

• Advertisement

agree with ya. Having posed the original thread, what I meant by a crash was your a$$ hitting the tarmac whether self inflicted or third party involvement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i've crashes but i've never fell off :)

reece wrote: »
    agree with ya. Having posed the original thread, what I meant by a crash was your a$$ hitting the tarmac whether self inflicted or third party involvement

Thats the way I would class a crash, being on your bike and then suddenly your not on it. someone on the first place said they fell off into a ditch but never crashed, surely falling of yer bike into a ditch is a crash. even the front wheel going from under you and ya sliding down the road would be a crash, would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

reece wrote: »

I was rear ended but didn't fall off was that a crash? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Maybe it's only me but every story I've read there is a crash to me.

I dont think I'd be going to the insurance telling them I didnt have a crash I just fell off the bike.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭golfpaul

EvilMonkey wrote: »

Too much information!! :p:p;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Is the ground not an immobile object ;)

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Is the ground not an immobile object ;)

Well, the ground is so large, it falls into it's own class, i wouldn't class ground as an object, it's just the ground. :)

EvilMonkey wrote: »

as long as we're talking biking..right? :D

• Advertisement

Well, the ground is so large, it falls into it's own class, i wouldn't class ground as an object, it's just the ground. :)
    Ha ha but sure ya can still bust yourself off the ground. If large things you dont count as a crash I can only assume the smaller the object the worse the crash. I must have crashing into thousands of flies over the years. Go me.

Advertisement