Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-Piracy Update for Win7 is on it's Way

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Its a thing which usually hurts legitimate customers much more than pirates

That's true. I'll never pay for a copy of Windows that doesn't come with the computer I buy.

The problem is, 90% of those will never know what the hell WGA or WAT or anything is... they might just realise that one day, their computer has stopped working after updating itself, and is telling them to call Microsoft or something, or to pay money to get legal. It's pretty scary wording to people who don't understand this stuff. While I know that the number of false positives will be small, it'll still catch a lot of people who have no idea what's going on, or no idea that Windows isn't 'The computer'.

And at the end of the day... it doesn't stop piracy. If anything, it might even be encouraging it among some. DRM degrades the experiences of legitimate users while usually leaving the pirate's untouched. I really hate DRM, because I've had a couple of games I paid a lot of money for refuse to run, or even outright disable my DVD-drive by accident, because of the DRM they run. That's a lot of money I don't get back once the shrinkwrap comes off, and a pain in the butt to reinstall working drivers.

I'm also surprised Malware hasn't started to spoof WGA notices... "Your copy of Windows is a pirate and has been disabled, send money to Microsoft to unlock it. Input credit card details here......" . More people would fall for that than that Antivirus 2010 crap because Microsoft is trusted.

And someone once said... if you don't like the license, don't buy it. I didn't. I only got my 7-pro through MSDNAA, because some courses at college needed Windows programs, which need Windows itself to run. (I tried them on WINE First :) )

Sorry for the rant...

Advertisement