Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some research: what good/bad things do your house mates do?

Options
  • 11-02-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,264 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just think, in parallel to this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054867603, I'd like to set up a document letting people decide for themselves as to what kinds of people they want to share with and what behaviours are considered acceptable or not. Remember that its a two way thing. For everything that the other people do that you don't like, there are some things that you do that they don't like, e.g. some people are overly fussy about cleanliness, while others are slobs. On the other side, you might have someone who cooks for you occasionally or cleans the things you don't like cleaning, while you do chores that they don't like doing.

I'll try to create a comprehensive list and perhaps poll on it.

So, things that house mates do that I don't like:
    * Smoking.
    * People eating my food, sure have some milk or bread, but don't finish it without replacing it.
    * Slamming doors (more ignorant than deliberate).
    * Partying all night, too often.
    * Couples getting it on in common areas, at breakfast time. :)
    * An overly large sense of entitlement, especially common among house mates related to the landlord.
    * Not talking.
    * Friends over constantly.
    * Demanding money for "house" things that they decided to get without consultation.
    * Abuse of shared property, e.g. using **all* the toilet roll.
    * Theft.
    * Not paying their way.

Things that house mates do that I do like:
    * Helping me with a skill I don't have, e.g. re-installing computer operating system.
    * Friends over sometimes.
    * Sharing household appliances.
    * Help with cleaning.
    * Sharing a DVD / computer game.
    * Having someone to talk to.
    * Taking care of bills, etc. (I have to pay of course).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

well, afaics, eaveryone describes themselves as easygoing.

As an easygoing person myself, I can't stand people being pernickety.
    I don't mind people not washing up if they do all the stuff every second day as I'll do it all every other day.
    Don't leave your stuff in common areas (kitchen, bathroom, living room). leave your money for bills promptly.
    I'll leave the bill out and divide it up so you can see what it is and that you won't get ripped off. Yes we hate chores but they have to be done. I'll give you a week to do whatever your task is, but it must be done that week.
    If you use the last of the toilet roll, replace it. Nothing worse than finding out too late that there's none there.
    You also need explicit rules on friends/partners staying over - no more than twice a week, or one weekend in two.
    Noise needs the same level - the odd late night won't kill me, but don't disturb my sleep too often!!

I've lived too often with 'easygoing' people who really are anal.....

Advertisement