Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is the best/Worst Draft pick ever in your Opinion?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

darragh16 wrote: »
    But some un drafted players like james harrison or wes welker do come to mind if your talkin about a steal!

To think you can sign a guy like James Harrison as an undrafted free agent, to eventually have a run of three Pro Bowls, a Defensive MVP award and, let's face it, what should probably have been the Super Bowl MVP... that's the NFL for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

it comes down to 2 players. ryan leaf & jamarcus russel. i'm not sure how much leaf received when drafted or how it translates into todays money valuations, but i do know what russel received. and to me he is just a huge flop. definately the biggest bust of the draft ever.

best draft pick, i'm not sure. there have been a lot of very good picks. but a lot more bad picks i think. i can't pick the best draft pick. maybe later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 MainDude

Worst right now would be Ryan Leaf, although I'm giving JaMarcus Russell some time to prove me wrong. :pac:
    Best would be Deacon Jones, one of the best defensive ends ever and they got him in something like the 14th round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

dub02 wrote: »
    Tom Brady SURELLLLLLLY has to be the best draft pick/find ever...6th round wasnt it:cool:

It is starting to look like Brady is a System QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

What?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Are you for real? I hope you are seriously not basing that on the season just gone? He comes back from a year out due to an injury and then has a shaky start due to his rustiness and then found his form and you say he is just a system QB :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Every QB works in a system.

The system helps the player. Montana or even Young wouldn't be remembed in the same way or have put up the numbers they did without Bill Walsh's West Coast innovation. Brady has proved exceptional in several tweeked systems and has the rings too. He also has become more involved with game planning and play calling in recent years.

I love Manning's play is because he has made the Colts system with of course the help of Tom Moore. It would take a long time for any other QB to master their 'system'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Despite being a Raiders fan, I can understand why people would nominate Jamarcus Russell as the biggest ever draft bust and although I conceed that he's been poor, I think context is important. If Russell had been taken in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round then people would have cut him some slack, it was his draft position that dictated a huge salary, but fact is the Raiders had first pick, they needed a QB and there were only two QBs deemed worthy of first round status(Brady Quinn hasn't set the world on fire either). The fact is that of the 32 players selected in the first round in 2007 like Russell, only 8 have made the pro bowl so far(including just 2 of the top ten picks).

I think Ryan Leaf was a bigger bust than Russell in that the alternative QB that year was Peyton Manning.

I remember some draft expert once saying that in the first round you're looking for pro bowl players/ future hall of fame players and with the salaries they attract that's probably true, in which case the 2007 first round was more miss than hit with 8 pro bowlers from 32 picks.

I suspect the best draft pick ever may have been made back when the draft had far more than 7 rounds, but I haven't researched who that might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

heyjude wrote: »
    Despite being a Raiders fan, I can understand why people would nominate Jamarcus Russell as the biggest ever draft bust and although I conceed that he's been poor, I think context is important. If Russell had been taken in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th round then people would have cut him some slack, it was his draft position that dictated a huge salary, but fact is the Raiders had first pick, they needed a QB and there were only two QBs deemed worthy of first round status(Brady Quinn hasn't set the world on fire either). The fact is that of the 32 players selected in the first round in 2007 like Russell, only 8 have made the pro bowl so far(including just 2 of the top ten picks).

I think Ryan Leaf was a bigger bust than Russell in that the alternative QB that year was Peyton Manning.

I remember some draft expert once saying that in the first round you're looking for pro bowl players/ future hall of fame players and with the salaries they attract that's probably true, in which case the 2007 first round was more miss than hit with 8 pro bowlers from 32 picks.

I suspect the best draft pick ever may have been made back when the draft had far more than 7 rounds, but I haven't researched who that might be.

I agree with a lot you say except that his draft selection dictated his salary. His draft selection gaurentees him a great salary, but he held out for the huge salary he got. He missed training camp in order to get it. His draft selection didn't dictate his salary, his greed did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

What? How does that statement even make sense? What?

That statement is ludicrous and very disrespestful.

The only way you can make that statement about somebody is if two things happen:

1. A QB has been good playing one system for many years then move to another team using another system and is crap.

2. A QB has been good playing one system for many years under one coach and a new coach comes in and has a different system and the QB is crap.

Neither of these has happened with Tom Brady.

I dont think people fully appreciate the season Tom had last season. If we constantly compare Tom's play to the season he had two years ago (the greatest season any QB has ever had) he will always be a failure. Tom Brady finished the season with a QB rating of 3 higher than MVP Manning and Tom had to play the most difficult pass defense schedule in 15 years. Football Outsiders ranked Tom as the no1 QB of last season.

Again, what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

I agree with a lot you say except that his draft selection dictated his salary. His draft selection gaurentees him a great salary, but he held out for the huge salary he got. He missed training camp in order to get it. His draft selection didn't dictate his salary, his greed did.

Last years first pick was QB Matthew Stafford, he didn't hold out, yet he got a contract worth $72 million, with $41.7 million guaranteed, compared to the $61million with $32M guaranteed that Russell got just 2 years previously. Same playing position, same draft position, and a contract worth 20% more, seems to me like QBs taken first in the draft always get huge salaries.

I do agree that missing training camp did set Russell back a lot though and his work ethic seems poor.

In considering QBs that were taken first in the draft and have 'under-performed', David Carr comes to mind and Alex Smith while he played pretty well last year, he hasn't justified his draft position yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

Look JaMarcus Russell is a bust. By the end of next season he will have surpassed Ryan Leaf as the worst ever draft pick. If I am wrong I will gladly eat humble pie but this guys is a joker! He is reportedly receiving treatment for get this "Lethargy Addiction" -- That's right, addiction to being lazy!

Best draft pick ever I would have to go with Joe Montana or maybe even Lawrence Taylor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It stems from the fact he is smoking a **** load of dope apperantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Neilster1509

Hi Charima

just on your choices , Ricky Williams went on to this day aside from marijuana problems producing , maybe his bust is in comparison to what it costed ?

When it comes to successes hard to argue with Tom Brady and 7th round draft pick, with 3 Super Bowls , Montana was a 3rd rounder with 4 Super Bowl rings but the pick is quite low .

Kurt Warner coming from being Cut at his first team as a low draft pick, stocking shelves in a Minimarket to the NFL Europe league to winning a Super Bowl with St Louis and appearing in 2 others at the Rams and Cards is compelling too

For Bust has to be Ryan Leaf , San Diego 1st round pick , 2 terrible years as starter to leaving NFL altogether within 5 years. Awful shades of Jamarcus Russell about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Neilster1509

Hi Lads
    Just some thoughts on scouting for the draft, whilst a lot of the elite guys have to handle pressure in colleges as QBs like Clausen at Notre Dame or Bradford at Oklahoma , the NFL is huge step on in speed at blitz and the pressure that exerts in decision-making .
    That is why you can have Vince Young against Matt Leinart looking like studs in college and after difficulties in 08 and 09 only Young has partially came through (Leinart not so for now , same goes for Brady Quinn, Alex Smith etc)
    The pressure is extra , little kinks in decision-making are found out and these guys leave the league as busts. The funny thing is guy with size issues in college (this kept draft number of Drew Brees and Kurt Warner high as both were only 6ft) or the famous weak arm can often put people high in a draft who then bust spectacularly.
    Im thinking of guys with big arms like Jason Campbell, Trent Edwards who are relative busts and people with weak arms who have been very successful or at best very competent perfomers like Warner , Chad Pennington (modest success but statistically the most accurate QB in history) or Brees

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

When it comes to successes hard to argue with Tom Brady and 7th round draft pick, with 3 Super Bowls , Montana was a 3rd rounder with 4 Super Bowl rings but the pick is quite low

Brady was taken in the 6th. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Im thinking of guys with big arms like Jason Campbell, Trent Edwards who are relative busts and people with weak arms who have been very successful or at best very competent perfomers like Warner , Chad Pennington (modest success but statistically the most accurate QB in history) or Brees

I'm not too sure I agree with the idea that Edwards is a bust. Edwards was taken in the 3rd round. Campbell in the 1st. For round 3, the Bills have got a quarterback who's been decent enough on a sometimes desperate team. I think I remember reading somewhere that said Edwards wasn't ever going to do really well but he's doing grand, admittedly not great but solid for a 3rd rounder imo. Campbell, you'd have more of a case for though.

Advertisement