Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Share] searching for a housemate

Options
  • 09-02-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

hi everyone, im renting out a room in my house. Its currently advertised. I have never lived with a stranger and i dont know what criteria i should look for in a new housemate. Im quite laid back but at the same time i dont want anyone to take advantage... shud i set ground rules? What about things like them having people over or boyfriends etc staying... I just dont know how to approach the whole thing... I dont want anyone to feel uncomfortable

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This is probably better off in Accommodation & Property, but mods please feel free to move it back here if you disagree.

Moved from PI.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭loca

no prob, tks

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

loca wrote: »
    hi everyone, im renting out a room in my house. Its currently advertised. I have never lived with a stranger and i dont know what criteria i should look for in a new housemate. Im quite laid back but at the same time i dont want anyone to take advantage... shud i set ground rules? What about things like them having people over or boyfriends etc staying... I just dont know how to approach the whole thing... I dont want anyone to feel uncomfortable

Generally, you want someone sound.

A nice person, relatively tidy, pays rent/bills on time. Someone you can make friendly chit chat with. No hassle essentially.

As for ground rules, I'd say just pay what you owe when you owe it and don't do anything mad/you wouldn't do in your own house.

If you get someone who really does take the piss you can always get rid, but hopefully you won't.

I would think they are perfectly entitled to have their other half over/stay over, as long as they don't move in!

It's good that your a laid back person, you may remember you are renting the room and not treat them like an invader in YOUR house - if you know what I mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Specify exactly what you want/don't want on the ad - you can word this in a pleasant way without coming across as arsey. :)

A girl is coming to see the room next week. Hopefully she's ok. She says she's laid back so hopefully thats true... hopefully not so laid back she doesn't tidy after herself!! I'm sure she does though!! yea they should feel like its their home too!! Would not be fair of me to treat them like an invader. It'll be strange sharing the space though after a few months on my own! Any other good advice? Don't want a psycho but you never know someone til you live with them!

• Advertisement

o yea I don't mind a boyfriend staying but not all the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Don't assume the girl will be tidy. Don't be afraid of saying how you like the house to be kept, it doesnt have to sound like a list of rules. It's important that you get someone who's compatible to live with. Do mention that having someone staying with them is acceptable on occasion and remember that a regular guest brings up the bills and could make you uncomfortable if they're hogging the kitchen or sitting room together.

There's really no point having someone go to the bother of moving in and for you to then give house rules that they don't agree with. Be honest, offer them a drink so that you can both sit down and have a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Advertisement