Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need ideas for diet + gym?

Options
  • 09-02-2010 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction in regards to my diet,im starting the gym and want both to go hand in hand...iv no idea where to start in regard to what a healthy diet should really consist of,just some samples i guess of what ye guys consider acceptable...(ps i eat pretty much anything so i wouldnt be fussy,id like to be able?
    i want to walk into tescos or wherever and buy good healthy food but dont know what im looking for,sorry total noob to all this :)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

clarelad wrote: »
    Hi,

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction in regards to my diet,im starting the gym and want both to go hand in hand...iv no idea where to start in regard to what a healthy diet should really consist of,just some samples i guess of what ye guys consider acceptable...(ps i eat pretty much anything so i wouldnt be fussy,id like to be able?
    i want to walk into tescos or wherever and buy good healthy food but dont know what im looking for,sorry total noob to all this :)

Thanks in advance
    fresh chicken breasts, fish not breaded like cod or salmon fillets, eggs, most fruit and veg(lots of greens), nuts, wholegrain rice/bread/pasta(but not too much of these)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

What he said. Eat round the outside of the supermarket, lots of fresh green veg, fish, meat, eggs, chicken, olive oil (you need some fat), some dairy, some fruit, some nuts, some wholegrain.

Cut out the processed stuff with lots of ingredients, particularly if you haven't seen most of them since chemistry class. Avoid anything which lists sugar as one of the first four ingredients (this rules out most breakfast cereals). Completely avoid transfats.

In the gym, go for lifts like squat, deadlift, bench press, military press, pull-ups, dips, stiffleg deadlifts, bent over rows etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nightass

Four + years, and you never asked me, a pro!

Depends on your goal ie, loose fat, gain muscle, cardio fitness, strength, or all of the above.

An easy general rule of thumb is to divide you plate in to quarters.
    1/4 = lean meat
    1/4 = starches (carbs)
    2/4 = green veg

for fat shredding and muscle gain cut the carbs and increase the protein.
    2/4 = lean meat
    0/4 = starches (carbs)
    2/4 = green veg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

Be careful on the 'Wholegrain' issue. Most wholegrain breads are really just white bread or made using wheatflour.

Look for wholemeal bread instead .Tastes better and made with wholemeal flour.

Advertisement