Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15% down the 10k route :-)

Options
  • 09-02-2010 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

hi there,

I've been reading alot of post/training logs here and found them really good and inspirational! good work people!

Anyway I wanted some advice. Basically I intend running a sub 45min 10km in July.

I've been doing abit of gym work and I currenly do 5km in 22.5min. I've haven't done more then 5km in one sitting yet. I usually run at the same constant speed.

Anyway, can someone off some advice on how to progress from here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Hi There

I cant give advice on running in general as im only starting myself but i can just about hit 10 in 45-48 mins, all i did was get a good time at 5k so 20-22 mins and after a week i add on 1k, after 2 weeks i added on another one and i built from there, im now doing 10k 3-4 times a week and will be aiming at 15 soon enough, prob not a huge help but the one thing i noticed was that if i slowed down after 5 to drink i found it very hard to get going again so i always make sure to have a bottle that can be squirted rather than a big 1-2 litre one that ya have to slow down for, not a lot of help but like i say, im a beginner too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

xgtdec wrote: »
    Hi There

I cant give advice on running in general as im only starting myself but i can just about hit 10 in 45-48 mins, all i did was get a good time at 5k so 20-22 mins and after a week i add on 1k, after 2 weeks i added on another one and i built from there, im now doing 10k 3-4 times a week and will be aiming at 15 soon enough, prob not a huge help but the one thing i noticed was that if i slowed down after 5 to drink i found it very hard to get going again so i always make sure to have a bottle that can be squirted rather than a big 1-2 litre one that ya have to slow down for, not a lot of help but like i say, im a beginner too :)

thats eactly the kind of info I wanted. I was wondering how quickly I should add distance. I was toying between increasing my 5km time and then adding distance or just tryingg for 6km later this week. Think I'll go with the latter.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

im sure someone more knowledgeable than me can advise better than me but im coming back from injury and trying to build back my running fitness and i was advised to split the sessions this way(x3 a week):

1 LSD run (Long Slow Distance) - basically just go out and run for an hour+ and a steady pace (i.e. slower than normal)

1 Interval run- 20/30mins intervals (i.e 45secs 90% pace, 1min recovery)

1 tempo run - start at 2 miles at max pace. build from here (ie add .5 mile each week)

LSDs to build endurance, intervals for improved cardio capacity and tempo for speed. always warm up well beforehand, especially on temp and intervals.

hope this helps, look on sites like runnersworld.com for more info on all the types of run. my best 10k time is 39min which isnt world beating but was achieved following something similiar to that plus circuits twice weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

you will probably get good advice over on the running forum ;)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=972

Advertisement