Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulking diet critique

Options
  • 09-02-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

Hey everybody been trying to bulk for a few weeks now and initially I did gain a few kilos but that was just as my body regained the muscle lost from the marathon a while ago. Now I've pretty much stagnated at ~75kg mark though I do see improvements as my muscles have gottin bigger and the weights have gone up. This happened before at the same weight. It seems to be were my body likes to be. I calculated my maintenance calories to be around 2700 calories and have a target of about 3500 calories a day which I use fitday to keep track of. I've mostly hit in or around 3300 calories a day, sometimes more sometimes less, though I keep the less days to a minimum! Heres my diet

Breakfast-
    35g of quick oats with bannana and almonds
    1 pint of milk
    30g of whey protein
    1 hard boiled egg

Lunch-
    1L of milk
    2 wraps I make at home with chicken, salad, cheese and some jalapeno's (these are only a new addition as I used to just have 2 brown bread chicken and cheese sambos so not sure of the calorie content yet)

Dinner-
    Usually some form of meat with some potatoes and veg usually in the form of sweet corn and peas or sweet potatoes. Usually have some gravy with this aswell.
    I'd also have between a pint and a litre of milk with my dinner.

Snack-
    1L of milk just for handiness and another 30g of whey protein sometime during the evening.

I also have 30g of casein protein before I head to bed to prevent catabolism.

Is there anyway I can improve this or find somewere to chunk on more calories?

Thanks for the feedback :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

As a bulking diet, that looks pretty good. It may simply be that you need to increase the calories, while lifting as heavy as possible.

It's possible that the milk is filling you up too much. There's certainly a phenomenon with young children where they drink a lot of milk and then don't eat much solid food. Maybe try replacing the milk with a whey shake or something?

After lifting, definitely add a whey and glucose shake. Very anabolic.

Nut butters are an easy way to shovel in more calories. Peanut butter is popular, but something like almond butter would be a better choice nutritionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Can you fit in a few more meals during the day? That would be a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭BobbyOLeary

EileenG wrote: »
    something like almond butter would be a better choice nutritionally.

I'm bulking myself, where can one buy almond butter pre-made? I'm really not that bothered grinding up almonds when I can just buy it normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

How long have you been trying to get bigger? And how serious are you about getting bigger...?

IMO your "bulking" diet looks way too good to be a bulking diet. You only eat three meals with one snack? That doesn't strike me as a "bulk". There is room for two more meals there man.

I'm not sure the milk will hinder you that much. You could test it out though, drop the milk to in-between meals, having water with your meals instead. See how that works out.

When your trying to get bigger and stronger there should never be a day when you miss your calories. TBH there is no huge need to count every calorie. Just make sure your getting them in.

Eileen hit the nail on the head, to get bigger and stronger you must be lifting as heavy as possible, while fueling the muscles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Maybe it's the lack of carbs? Oats, brown bread and wraps are the "healthy" alternative but if you want to gain weight I'd personally switch to 100% stodge! If it turns to paste when you wet it....eat it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

diet looks fine to me but add more calories or an extra meal. you mention a few weeks? in fairness give it a chance, just kee eating and lifting heavy and be patient, you cant expect to grow huge in a few weeks, even if its fat.

I'm bulking myself, where can one buy almond butter pre-made? I'm really not that bothered grinding up almonds when I can just buy it normally.

Most health food shops have it, but if you'll eat whole almonds, they're fine too. It's just that a couple of spoonfuls of nut butter can really clock up the cals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

H&B normally have it down beside the peanut butter. Meridian make it, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Been trying about 2 months now. Would replacing the milk with whey not be bad due to less calories? It's hard to get time to eat as I'm in my final year of college and am cramming alot of time into doing a project all the time! I think I'll add some nuts to the diet and def. try that nut butter stuff and I'll add on another 2 meals where I can.
    Maybe it's the lack of carbs? Oats, brown bread and wraps are the "healthy" alternative but if you want to gain weight I'd personally switch to 100% stodge! If it turns to paste when you wet it....eat it!

Never heard of this will look into it.

I'm currently doing the starting strength program and am lifting as heavy as I can at the moment! I may need a new program soon but I'll have to see after a reset or 2. Anything else I can add in anywhere?

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Been trying about 2 months now. Would replacing the milk with whey not be bad due to less calories? It's hard to get time to eat as I'm in my final year of college and am cramming alot of time into doing a project all the time! I think I'll add some nuts to the diet and def. try that nut butter stuff and I'll add on another 2 meals where I can.

Never heard of this will look into it.

I'm currently doing the starting strength program and am lifting as heavy as I can at the moment! I may need a new program soon but I'll have to see after a reset or 2. Anything else I can add in anywhere?

Do not get rid of the milk!!

You cannot blame time here. If you are in college all day then make some stuff up at home the night before. 2 mins to get to a shop during the day for the milk. You're sorted.

You really need to think bigger than nuts here too..You need to just think food all of the time, think of it as a distraction from your project!!:cool:

Not to put words in Kevpants mouth, I think he just means that all your food is nice and grainy. Go bigger and larger. And then go back for more. Think of it as accessory to your Starting Strength.

Keep at the SS, most people see good gains from it.

Good luck with the gaining!!

• Advertisement

How about putting a scoop of whey into your milk?

EileenG wrote: »
    How about putting a scoop of whey into your milk?

Add some chocolate sauce to that and you have a lovely calorific shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Ok so keeping the milk. Adding whey to milk nvr thought of that for some reason! Grand I'll do that aswell so. Yeah guess I need to sort my priorities out in terms of what to eat. So basically just eat everything in sight. Don't worry about the breakdown of proteins/fats/carbs or any of that stuff. I think that may have been whats holding me back. Always thinking how to get more protein in but not carbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Below is the bulk i've been on for 2 months or so. Mine is geared more in the way of solid food for calories rather than milk. It will give you an idea of some ideas for good complex carbs. I don't count the calories everyday as i know i pretty much hit my goal and my split is roughly 40/40/20. I load on carbs in the morning and then have 2 meals centered around carbs. One of them being a meal an hour after workout. I also tend to eat more carbs on workout days. And then lessen the portions a little on non workout days. I've put on a little over 10 kgs in that time and kept up light cardio 3 times a week so i haven't put on too much fat.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64282238&postcount=26

Advertisement