Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower back pain

Options
  • 09-02-2010 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Was training at the weekend and I may have done some damage to my back. Quick question: Am I better off going to a physio instead of a doctor? I'm guessing if I go to the doctor he/she will just tell me to go to a physio and I'll be 50 euro poorer as a result.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi there

For soft tissue issues resulting from working out my first port of call is always my Physio.

Cheaper as you pointed out and also treatment gets started much sooner.

Best Regards,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Was training at the weekend and I may have done some damage to my back. Quick question: Am I better off going to a physio instead of a doctor? I'm guessing if I go to the doctor he/she will just tell me to go to a physio and I'll be 50 euro poorer as a result.

Thanks.

seeing as you really cant be 100% sure what the damage is then your doctor should be your first point of contact IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

B-Builder wrote: »
    Hi there

For soft tissue issues resulting from working out my first port of call is always my Physio.

Best Regards,

M

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

B-Builder wrote: »
    Hi there

Best Regards,

M
    agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Cheers guys.

I'll go to the physio so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

Cheers guys.

You've made your decision and it is the correct one as a doctor will usually just give you a few anti-inflams or pain killers and tell you to rest. That is a competely redundant rehab strategy. Make sure the physio assess why you injured yourself and gives you corrective exercises or technique info to prevent it happening again. Don't just let him rub the affected area and send you on your way, get to the route of why it happened. Back pain can be a debilitating and ongoing problem if not addressed in the correct manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Cheers guys.

Just be wary of a physio who tells you it will take you x amount of visits to put you right again. A reputable physio will work on you, tell you what they find wrong and give you exercises to do yourself at home.

There are a lot of physios out there that play on people's fears about being in pain and they convince you to sign up to a course of treatment. Everyone heals at a different pace so a physio can't predict in advance how many sessions you need. I haven't seen my physio for about a month but he encourages me to do my own exercises and only make an appointment when I feel it's necessary.

Advertisement