Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure what to do?!

Options
  • 08-02-2010 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Well start off im sorry for this long post! i have a couple of questions...

First im 17 years old, roughly 5'4 5'5, and 8 and a half stone.
    i train with the local camogie and football teams everyday.
    the problem is i want to lose weight but it just wont budge!

my diet is roughly this everyday:
    bowl of coco pops at 8
    bottle of water + bar of chocolate
    chicken and rice(from microwave packets)
    brown bringread sandwhich

what am i doing wrong? the trainings are rather tough and long but i cant lose any weight..

secondly since i train everyday, im usually very tired and some trainers think im not putting in the effort so i end up pushing myself more!!

is there any vitamins that would help with my energy levels?
    also prone to injury (pulled hamstring,groin.quad) anything to help with that?

thanks very much!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

To start with, your diet is terrible. I'm sure you know that. It's full of junk carbs, and very low on protein and healthy fats, and appears to have ZERO vegetables in it.

Try having a better breakfast. Something like eggs (try a mushroom omlette, great protein fix, and fast) or at least porridge instead of the coco pops.

Drop the chocolate. If you want a snack, try a piece of fruit or a handful of raw nuts.

Lunch: Try some tinned fish (tuna or sardines or salmon) and a green salad, even a McDonald's side salad is better than what you have now. If you train after lunch, then some rice with your lunch would be fine.

I'm not even sure what your dinner is, but try to eat a source of good protein like meat or fish or chicken and lots of green vegables, and a small amount of potato.

Things like natural yogurt or cottage cheese are good for supper or snacks.

The one time that fast carbs are good is before training. If you must eat coco pops, then about an hour before training is the best time. That should give you some fast energy.

In general, I reckon most women would benefit from a one-a-day multi-vitamin, some fish oil and a cal/mag.

Lots of injuries are often a sign you need to work on flexibility. The fish oil will help a little, but you need to stretch after workouts, and take time over it, don't head for the showers as soon as you are finished. If you have time to fit a yoga class into your routine, you may find it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 golfchiro

+1 to make diet changes as recommended by Eileen G, this will have a big impact on your energy levels.

Bromelain an enzyme found in fresh pineapple helps speed up recovery from sports injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 celts

bowl of coco pops at 8

what am i doing wrong? the trainings are rather tough and long but i cant lose any weight..

secondly since i train everyday, im usually very tired and some trainers think im not putting in the effort so i end up pushing myself more!!

It's either diet or your not training hard enough .Looking at your diet it looks alright except for the chocolate bar .Also I would swap the cocopops for albran or something .Cardio's best for fat loss .I would do atleast a half an hour run 4 times a week and do it fast .You should do roughly 4 miles in that time .Start running and doing bodyweight training at home it will come off you in no time .Your training has to be intense .
    Injuries are more common in youngsters your age .The older you get the less likley you are to get injured .Best ways to avoid injury are warm up and stretch off for about 12 to 15 seconds before exercise and warm down only after training stretch off for 30 seconds .Youtube for specific musclegroup exercises for stretching .Also you could swap your chocolate bar for 5 pieces of fruit .That way you get your vitamins and in bananas potasium .Potasium is also good for injuries because it's good for your muscles. Bodyweight circuits burn fat and build muscle overnight .Youtube for bodyweight training to do at home .I do it daily and it's brilliant . Check youtube for bodyweight workouts and start off where your comfortabe and then move onto advanced bodyweight circuits .

bowl of coco pops at 8

Your diet doesn't seriously look that bad to me for weight loss .There's one trick to fat loss mate .You want to burn more calories than you consume that's it simple . Also take your calories in during the day and go light at night .Defintley no chocolate at night because it just goes straight to your waist if you sleep on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

celts wrote: »
    Your diet doesn't seriously look that bad to me for weight loss .There's one trick to fat loss mate .You want to burn more calories than you consume that's it simple . Also take your calories in during the day and go light at night .Defintley no chocolate at night because it just goes straight to your waist if you sleep on it.

That is absolutely terrible advice. OP, please do not listen to it. Actually, don't listen to anything Celts says because 90% of it is wrong.

The diet is (and I'm sorry OP) rubbish for weight loss. Counter-intuitively, you need to eat more than you currently are to lose weight. If your body doesn't think it's getting sufficient kcals (it's not at the moment) then it will try to hold onto the fat stores it has to use in the future.

Listen to what EileenG has said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Easygainer

It's either diet or your not training hard enough .Looking at your diet it looks alright except for the chocolate bar .Also I would swap the cocopops for albran or something .Cardio's best for fat loss .I would do atleast a half an hour run 4 times a week and do it fast .You should do roughly 4 miles in that time .Start running and doing bodyweight training at home it will come off you in no time .Your training has to be intense .
    Injuries are more common in youngsters your age .The older you get the less likley you are to get injured .Best ways to avoid injury are warm up and stretch off for about 12 to 15 seconds before exercise and warm down only after training stretch off for 30 seconds .Youtube for specific musclegroup exercises for stretching .Also you could swap your chocolate bar for 5 pieces of fruit .That way you get your vitamins and in bananas potasium .Potasium is also good for injuries because it's good for your muscles. Bodyweight circuits burn fat and build muscle overnight .Youtube for bodyweight training to do at home .I do it daily and it's brilliant . Check youtube for bodyweight workouts and start off where your comfortabe and then move onto advanced bodyweight circuits .

If the purpose of your post was to be ironic and post the opposite of what should be done, congratulations.

Briefly:

1) The diet is poor both in composition (as addressed already) and in terms of structure. I would prefer to have larger meals earlier in day where possible. Bananas during exercise (no water, no cramping) are ideal. As also stated, mixed nuts and raisins are a healthier snack - the oils in nuts (name evades me, begins with len I think) help you to feel ful but also lead to thermogenesis.

2) If anything, injuries would be less frequent when younger as bones not fully fused, however where there is smoke, there is often fire. If you are repeatedly having ham/groin injuries:
    -You might be sprinting or taking off fast (lot of stress on hamstring) without adequately warming up.
    -You have over developed quads/unevenly developed thigh muscles which leads to imbalances in exercising and increased chance of injury.

3) In any fat loss regime, diet is 70-80% responsible for results. Look to change this first. Ideally you should educate yourself so that you can learn over time what way your body works.

Although what Celts says is technically true (eat less calories, whatever type, means fat loss) the time that you eat and individual traits determine a few things. For instance, I feel bloated on bread, hold a lot of water on milk, and my body turns into a furnace when I eat an omelette. When you figure out what works and what doesn't you can tinker to make your own diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Hanley wrote: »
    That is absolutely terrible advice. OP, please do not listen to it. Actually, don't listen to anything Celts says because 90% of it is wrong.

The diet is (and I'm sorry OP) rubbish for weight loss. Counter-intuitively, you need to eat more than you currently are to lose weight. If your body doesn't think it's getting sufficient kcals (it's not at the moment) then it will try to hold onto the fat stores it has to use in the future.

Listen to what EileenG has said.

+1

anybody who thinks chocolate and coca pops are part of a good diet should not be posting advice on a fitness forum, either that or the poster is trolling!

OP, listen to EileenG's advice above and include more fruit, vegetables, porridge, meat and fish and whole grains.

If you were to ask me from scratch and I was your trainer I would say .
    Run for starters .Best exercise for weight loss .
    Also bodyweight circuits about 4 times a week .

say start with a 200 no rest for cardio vascular benefits and fat loss
    consists of
    20 push ups
    20 sit ups
    20 bodyweight squats
    20 lunges - 10 each leg
    20 stomach crunches
    Repeat twice or if you've got bad upperbody strength .Start with 10 reps and repeat twice or probably better 3 to 4 times .

Eat little and often and never skip breakfast . If hungry full up on fruit and veg .
    You should get you kcals from healthy fats ,protein and carbs. The thing with unhealthy fats and sugar. Your body finds it hard to burn them and they most likley store as fat.I would also reccomend you some caffeine for fat loss as well. Experiment .Some bodybuilders take about 3 to 4 hundered mils .It says on proplus packets 1 or 2.A couple might work for you since your a youngster but not for me. Caffeine is probably the best and cheapes weight loss supplement on the market in the uk and ie .It burn calories, improves training performance and helps with mental alertness
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055172960
    http://www.proplus.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭xstarz 2kaii9x

EileenG wrote: »
    To start with, your diet is terrible. I'm sure you know that. It's full of junk carbs, and very low on protein and healthy fats, and appears to have ZERO vegetables in it.

Try having a better breakfast. Something like eggs (try a mushroom omlette, great protein fix, and fast) or at least porridge instead of the coco pops.

Drop the chocolate. If you want a snack, try a piece of fruit or a handful of raw nuts.

Lunch: Try some tinned fish (tuna or sardines or salmon) and a green salad, even a McDonald's side salad is better than what you have now. If you train after lunch, then some rice with your lunch would be fine.

I'm not even sure what your dinner is, but try to eat a source of good protein like meat or fish or chicken and lots of green vegables, and a small amount of potato.

Things like natural yogurt or cottage cheese are good for supper or snacks.

The one time that fast carbs are good is before training. If you must eat coco pops, then about an hour before training is the best time. That should give you some fast energy.

In general, I reckon most women would benefit from a one-a-day multi-vitamin, some fish oil and a cal/mag.

Lots of injuries are often a sign you need to work on flexibility. The fish oil will help a little, but you need to stretch after workouts, and take time over it, don't head for the showers as soon as you are finished. If you have time to fit a yoga class into your routine, you may find it helps.

Thanks very much EileenG im a very fussy eater though so i wont touch fish!:o
    i was at the doctors lately with headaches. Long story short after a couple of months if bad headaches, my thyroid glan is underactive(low on iodine in my diet) any suggestions on food good for that??

Thanks alot!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Seaweed, particularly dulse is good for iodine. You can get salt with ground up seaweed in it, if the thought of chewing dulse is too much for you.

Okay, have some chicken for lunch. Just not instant food, which often have scary amounts of calories.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thanks very much EileenG im a very fussy eater though so i wont touch fish!:o
    i was at the doctors lately with headaches. Long story short after a couple of months if bad headaches, my thyroid glan is underactive(low on iodine in my diet) any suggestions on food good for that??

Thanks alot!!:)

You probably don't want to hear this, but I think a lot of fish is high in iodine.

I know a few people who wouldn't eat fish up until recently. White fish, when fresh like cod, haddock, monkfish etc. should have little or no odour and a very mild taste. If it actually smells 'fishy' that means its not fresh. Try getting some from a good fish monger and giving it a go.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If you were to ask me from scratch and I was your trainer I would say .

Do you work in the industry?
    Run for starters .Best exercise for weight loss .

Dehydration and forced vomitting's much quicker. And they're all about as effective when it comes to actually looking good (they don't work). And I assume that's what the OP is after... an attractive body as opposed to a number on the scales.

Also bodyweight circuits about 4 times a week .
    Eat little and often and never skip breakfast .

Agree
    If hungry full up on fruit and veg .

Agree-ish. I've always found lean protein sources to be best for appetite surpression.
    You should get you kcals from healthy fats ,protein and carbs.

Agreee
    I would also reccomend you some caffeine for fat loss as well. Experiment .Some bodybuilders take about 3 to 4 hundered mils .It says on proplus packets 1 or 2.A couple might work for you since your a youngster but not for me. Caffeine is probably the best and cheapes weight loss supplement on the market in the uk and ie .It burn calories, improves training performance and helps with mental alertness
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055172960
    http://www.proplus.co.uk/

Incredibly unnecessary. Considering everything the OP's doing now, the suggested changes elsewhere in her diet will have a MUCH greater bearing on her weight loss. Infinitely so tbh.

All suggesting caffeine does is to give her a quick fix, something to rely that won't actually work. An excuse not to make the necessary changes to get in the shape she wants to be in. If someone's prepared to come online looking for advice, I assume they're serious and deserve the best possible advice that they can be given. Caffeine will have pretty much no effect on her weight loss if she doesn't tackle the other issues first.

No I don't work in the industry but i've got decent knowledge of fitness from experience .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

No I don't work in the industry but i've got decent knowledge of fitness from experience .
    you need a bigger knowledge base so as the caffeine comment was wayyy off the mark for a person at that level

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

lads in fairness it might be more constructive to reply to the OP rather than talking another posters reply to pieces, and calling their knowlegde into question. yes there are a few slight holes but overall the advice given by celts (in this thread!) is on the right track.

op should have plenty of good advice to start off with, overall cut out processed crap and read ElieenG's advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

roughly 5'4 5'5, and 8 and a half stone.

I'm not a fitness guru or anything so correct me if I'm wrong, but according to this info your bmi is 20 ... anything under that would be considered underwieght

Just a thought .... do you actually need to loose weight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Orlee wrote: »
    I'm not a fitness guru or anything so correct me if I'm wrong, but according to this info your bmi is 20 ... anything under that would be considered underwieght

A very good point. OP you're 17, you train every day and you have a healthy bodyweight. It would be irresponsible for me to allow advice on how you could further lose weight.

What you CAN do is clean up your diet - EileenG's advice is great and there's plenty of information in the sticky's - and that will make significant changes to your overall bodyshape.

Best of luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement