Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a workout plan.

Options
  • 08-02-2010 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hey guys i just recently finished up in my job and now iv nothing but free time......for a while anyways. So i decided im going to try lose the gut and get in shape. Im not well up on weight training info nor do i know how to construct a decent regime for myself. I was hoping you guys could give me some ideas or even maybe previous plans you followed yourself. In my home iv got a weight bench, dumbells, bicep curl bar and a tricep bar. i also was thinking of getting out and about on my bike too. If i had a plan to follow i know id stick with it but im lost as to how to construct it. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

In the gym, the best lifts are the big compound ones like squat, bench press, deadlift, military press, pull-up, bentover rows, dips, hyper-extension, stiff leg deadlift, lunges, wood chopper etc. Lift as heavy as you can for about eight reps. When you can do ten, it's time to increase the weight.

www.exrx.net is great for showing you how to do them properly.

Cycling is great cardio. Use your bike for transport and you'll rack up a lot of milage without even noticing. When you are working out, vary what you do. Hill sprints sometimes, long runs other times.

HIIT is where you do flat out sprints for one or two minutes, alternated with slower recovery periods. It's great for building fitness. Do on a straight safe stretch of road. I find it helps to pick a car and race it. Do six to ten sprints i a session and you'll see results.

Other days, go for much longer cycles, but at reasonable speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I know a few of the guys here followed basic weight lifting programs such as:
    Starting strength.
    Strong lifts.
    West Side for Skinny Bástards.

Give them a google, I'm trying out Starting Strength at the moment and I find it very good. There is also a lot of easily available information on these programs.

Check out the stickies at the top of the forum as well.

Advertisement