Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

96% of Convictions get no Penalty Points Applied

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's €120 (vs €80) if you don't pay within 28 days and it can be up to €800 if it goes to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

kbannon wrote: »
    Say it as it is - don't bring your licence to court. It is not a legal requirement to bring it (unless you drive to court).

so how come you don't have to produce licence or anything when flashed by a gatso. Can the courts system not simply link up with the Shannon / Gardai database and use name and address to pick up licence number? Or is that too much effort for them as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,137 ✭✭✭✭unkel

galwaytt wrote: »
    if you don't bring/'forget to bring' your licence to court, that CoC's can't compel you to give it to them if you bring it, or produce it if you 'forget'....;) ...in which case........they have no info to forward, or a way of getting it.

But they do have your driving license number! If you speed and get done by gun / gatso, 2 penalty points will automatically applied to your license. Nobody even has to stop you and you don't have to show anybody your license and nobody has to fill in any form.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

unkel wrote: »
    But they do have your driving license number! If you speed and get done by gun / gatso, 2 penalty points will automatically applied to your license. Nobody even has to stop you and you don't have to show anybody your license and nobody has to fill in any form.

...sorry, they don't automatically have your licence number: they only have the veh reg, and when you fill in the penalty notice, to pay the fine, you have to put the licence number on the form..........furthermore, a lot of the licence numbers are supplied are incorrect: there are two numbers on your licence, one is a serial no, the other a licence no (your 'file').........give them the 'wrong' one and they can't do anything.....

I presume a lot of this is for historic reasons: if your licence is at a different address to your veh reg, for example, there's no way to link the two - they can't assume it's the same person - hence my PPSN suggestion.....

Are there any 'old' licences, that have no number, still out there ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I can't get over this, unbelievable. How is this not the number one story on the news?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Shocking. Unbelievable. I hope this makes the international news so it wil bring a lot of embarrassment and shame. The minister for justice should resign over this...
    Agree completely.

The resignation will come if a researcher can find somebody who was killed by a driver who should have been disqualified at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

The resignation will come if a researcher can find somebody who was killed by a driver who should have been disqualified at the time.

When was the last time a sitting minister quit in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,137 ✭✭✭✭unkel

galwaytt wrote: »
    they only have the veh reg, and when you fill in the penalty notice, to pay the fine, you have to put the licence number on the form..........

Ah wasn't aware of that. It's a miracle, but I've never had any points :)

The license number should be linked though to your insurance / registration / tax. Don't know why it isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BillyBoyBad

I got a letter in the post but at the time (lost my job) I genuinely couldn't pay the fine. So up in court soon-will the judge be likely to increase the fine by much? Was €80 for speeding first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

... It's a miracle, but I've never had any points :)

me neither, but I know a Wife who has........:D :D:D

wimmin' drivers !! :p

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

this must have happened me so,after being charged with careless driving (clipping a lady with the wing mirror) i did everything by the book,i even told my insurer i had 5 penalty points,and as i found out about 3 months ago the points were never put on my licence:eek:

i dont remember having my licence in court,and i dont recall being asked to bring it either,im going to have a hard time trying to persuade quinn insurance that i dont have any penalty points after all,

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ah wasn't aware of that. It's a miracle, but I've never had any points :)
    Same here but its not for lack of trying! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

So hypotheticaly, if I got done for speeding and have the option of filling in the form with my licence number and paying the fine at the post office, for a slightly higher fine in court I dont get points????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

JG009 wrote: »
    So hypotheticaly, if I got done for speeding and have the option of filling in the form with my licence number and paying the fine at the post office, for a slightly higher fine in court I dont get points????

I'd like to know the answer to this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Just while we're on the topic of penalty points, is there any where to check how many penalty points you have and date of issue of points etc..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Testament1 wrote: »
    Just while we're on the topic of penalty points, is there any where to check how many penalty points you have and date of issue of points etc..?

Yes the rsa office in ballina.

Advertisement