Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Geniuses' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Don't need a solution so much as I need the question. The solution's something I figure I can work on my own. Which reminds me that I completely abandoned what I was doing, oh shít.

I figure it's looking for 'distinct' solutions in the same way you find distinct solutions in linear congruences so I figure that'd be somewhere around the right idea. Not sure 3n/2 working considering x, y are integers hence n would need to be divisible by 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Davidius wrote: »
    Not sure 3n/2 working considering x, y are integers hence n would need to be divisible by 2.

Well yes, my answer was really "All integers that satisfy the following" rather than "all numbers that satisfy the following".

I'm forgetting that you're doing maths though, so you can't just throw in an "if (n % p == 0)" and a loop to run until you find enough answers :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

Pygmalion wrote: »
    I've had a few drinks and I'm not confident that I'm even close...

But would 1/(n*3/2) + 1/(n*3) = 1/n?
    Multiply both sides by 3n and you get 2 + 1 = 3.
    Likewise 1/(n*6/5) + 1/(n*6) = 1/n since multiplying by n*6 gives 5+1=6
    1/(4*n/3) + 1/(4*n) = 1/n.

Maybe like Y = N by a constant P; X is Y divided by P - 1?

This won't give ALL the answer (I think), but it will (assuming I'm not wrong) give an infinite number of them.

woah, u guys really are smart

I like this one. Let's hope (s)he sticks around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Don't inflate their egos even more, we all know it's just a cover-up.

• Advertisement

Hotaru wrote: »
    Don't inflate their egos even more, we all know it's just a cover-up.

I'll admit it, it was an alt account I made to compliment myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭BrokenHeels_Ox

I like this one. Let's hope (s)he sticks around.

she lol

Right, so Maths question for you.

You have a number N and a number P, you can add, subtract, multiply or divide.
    Is there an equation in N and P which will result in 0 if they're NOT equal, and any other integer (preferably a one for simplicity's sake) if they ARE equal (the other way around can be done with simple subtraction).
    You can introduce any constants you want and store any number of variables, but keeping it to a minimum would be good.
    Oh and you can't make any comparisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

world-maths-day-2010.jpg?w=329&h=320

Happy maths day everybody!:D

Anyone know of a good downloadable programme for creating scientific graphs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

Geogebra, perhaps?:) Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but I find it handy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Geogebra, perhaps?:) Not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but I find it handy. :)

Ooooh this looks much prettier than the graphing programme I used for calculus.(Which I'd recommend wholeheartedly except that it's awful)

Thanks!

Hmmm, not quite but thanks anyway.

I need one where you input the data for each axis and then they draw the curve/line for you. Used a programme in physics last year but can't remember what the hell it was called :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I need one where you input the data for each axis and then they draw the curve/line for you. Used a programme in physics last year but can't remember what the hell it was called :/

Excel?

Excel?

Forgot about Excel. Used some fancy complicated programme last year but Excel is probably easier.

EDIT: Actually, no. How the hell do you make a graph on Excel? LC physics feels a long time ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Forgot about Excel. Used some fancy complicated programme last year but Excel is probably easier.

EDIT: Actually, no. How the hell do you make a graph on Excel? LC physics feels a long time ago...

Numbers on x axis on one column, numbers on y axis in another.
    Open up a xy scatter from the insert menu.
    Input the data as relevant.
    Insert the relevant trendline into the graph.
    Do you need to do error bars/regression error?

Numbers on x axis on one column, numbers on y axis in another.
    Open up a xy scatter from the insert menu.
    Input the data as relevant.
    Insert the relevent trendline into the graph.
    Do you need to do error bars/regression error?

Thanks!

No, it's only Pharmacology stuff so don't need error bars.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I don't get a lot of it, but I think ye will appreciate it more than me :)

Gnuplot?
    I remember using it once, it was fairly easy to control, basically you give it a text file and can basically say "Take the first column as X-axis and second as Y-axis", or "Just take column 4 as Y-axis and ignore the rest, assume X is linear" etc.

Not sure if you'd have the data in right format for it, but AFAIk it's quite widely used and can handle a lot of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

You'll never comprehend the disappointment I felt when I clicked that link and discovered that it wasn't a program to plot gnus. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

world-maths-day-2010.jpg?w=329&h=320

Happy maths day everybody!:D

I just noticed my birthday is shared with World Maths Day.

That's depressing.

On a lighter note, I found some financial data from my old job that I really really shouldn't have floating around the darkest recesses of an old laptop's hard-drives along with various mathematical excel plugins relating to improving performance in video-games.

The fact that I've ever had girlfriends amazes me sometimes. :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Errem how would one go about ripping a dvd? Or like is it that drawn out and complicated a process I'd be best off not doing it?

Cheers genuis' :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

deise_girl wrote: »
    Errem how would one go about ripping a dvd? Or like is it that drawn out and complicated a process I'd be best off not doing it?

Cheers genuis' :)

If you have DVD ripping software on your PC/laptop/mac, then it should be very straight forward. Doesn't take too long either, but again that will depend on your particular computer.

If you have DVD ripping software on your PC/laptop/mac, then it should be very straight forward. Doesn't take too long either, but again that will depend on your particular computer.
    About the dvd ripping software, stuff comes up when you google, can any of those be used or am I best off buying a thing to do it?

As you can see I have no idea what im doing.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

I thought DVD's were protected from people ripping them? Maybe not. Did I hear correctly that one can rip a Blu-Ray DVD onto a PS3 and save it there?

*giggles* wrote: »
    I thought DVD's were protected from people ripping them? Maybe not. Did I hear correctly that one can rip a Blu-Ray DVD onto a PS3 and save it there?

That protection is so shoddy it can be countered by a badly written haiku.
    We will use these few
    internal variables:
    t1 through t6,

unsigned integers.
    k, pointer to five unsigned
    bytes. i, integer.

So here's how you do
    it: first, take the first byte of
    im -- that's byte zero;

OR that byte with the
    number 0x100
    (hexadecimal --

that's two hundred and
    fifty-six to you if you
    prefer decimal).

Store the result in
    t1. Take byte one of im.
    Store it in t2.

... etc.

:P

That protection is so shoddy it can be countered by a badly written haiku.
    <snip>

:P
    Soo pyggy...
    Do you know how to rip a dvd? :)
    Or even would you be able to explain to me how to rip it!? :pac:

deise_girl wrote: »
    Soo pyggy...
    Do you know how to rip a dvd? :)
    Or even would you be able to explain to me how to rip it!? :pac:

I've only ever used this.
    And it's not available on Windows as far as I know, so probably can't help, sorry.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Search google for DVD shrink then use some free software to burn it to a disk. Done.

• Advertisement

Moar computer problems - The current message at the top of my browser is 'The following plug-in has crashed: Shockwave Flash' Youtube videos are just showing up as black screens etc. First showed up when I went to play that Robot Unicorn Attack game this morning... any idea how I fix it?

Advertisement